Finally

Familiar

“Tao, why don’t you take Kai upstairs as well?” Tao’s mom suggested as Tao was walking upstairs towards his room.

“Oh, I’m fine. I don’t want to be a bother,” Kai replied before Kai said anything.

"Oh, you are certainly not a bother! Tao, take him up with you. You can rest for a while as well and chat a while,” Tao’s mom said with a stern voice. Tao, being the obedient son he was, invited Kai to his room.

Once they entered the room, there was an awkward silence before Kai broke it. “So, about today,-“

“Jongin? You’re Kai?! That’s why you knew my name. That’s why you protected me when I was being bullied by Chen?” Tao said, shocked, confused and dazed at the same time.

“Yeah, basically,” Kai replied as he walked to the desk in Tao’s room and sat on the chair.

“That’s why you seemed familiar,” Tao said in a really soft voice, as if he was whispering.

"What? I didn’t get that,” Kai said.

“Uhm, forget it. I thought you were going out with the other bunch of guys? “

“I forgot that my mom had an appointment that I had to go to too, this one. So, I left them and accompanied her instead,” Kai explained.

“Ah, I see. Wait, what did you mean when you said that you’ve been there, done that?” Tao questioned Kai as he walked his way to his bed, lying down after a long day.

“Remember how I used to be really awkward around people back when I was a kid? That’s how we got close, right? So yeah, I was bullied as well, like you,” Kai explained, getting more comfortable in Tao’s room.

“But, Chanyeol, the kid with the really deep voice this afternoon helped me. Oh and Chen, the bully?” Kai stopped, asking Tao.

“Yeah, that piece of ,” Tao replied almost immediately. He was still pissed at Chen for bullying him, to be frank.

“Whoa, mind your words! You weren’t like this back in school,” Kai said shocked as to what he just heard. Tao chuckled and Kai, hearing the faint laugh, grinned. “Yeah, he was bullied as well. We were actually bullied together, funny story actually,” Kai said as he chuckled

“No way!” Tao exclaimed.

“Way. Anyway, he became the bully now, as you can see. But that was because he was bullied as a kid as well. Apparently, that’s what you end up as,” Kai explained. Tao laughed hearing this, the first time after a long time. Hearing his laughter, Kai cracked a smile.

“You haven’t changed, Huang Zitao. That laughter, it’s still so vivid in my mind. You used laugh and smile a lot. Judging by your dark circles and wrinkles, I can see that you don’t anymore. What happened?” Kai asked him.

“You weren’t beside me anymore,” Tao said. Again in a voice so soft, Kai wasn’t able to hear it, or so he thought. Kai heard it loud and clear.

“Tao, I know we haven’t been in contact and all but when I saw you on the first day, I was shocked. That’s when I realized that I-“ Kai said before pausing.

“You?” Tao asked.

“I like you. Like, a lot. Ever since we were younger, I’ve always liked you. I’ve never been able to say it to you because of my, you know, personality. I’ve never been able to express myself, and you know that very well. I’m sorry for not greeting you, or even saying “Hi” to you and always just watching you from behind in school,” Kai said.

Tao didn’t know what to feel. He felt happy that the person he has always liked, liked him back. However, he also felt angry and wronged. Basically, he felt confused.

“Tao, I-I’m really sorry but that’s how I feel,” Kai said. “I-“

“Kai, let’s go home!” he heard his mom calling him from downstairs.

“Tao, I got to go. Tell me in school tomorrow, kay?” Kai said before leaving.

“Mhmm,” Tao simply said as he laid down on his bad with his arms covering his eyes, feeling confused as to what his real feelings were. He heard Kai’s sighs and footsteps as he walked to the door. Before grabbing the door knob,

“Kai, wait,” Tao suddenly said whilst grabbing Kai wrist. Kai was shocked by Tao’s confidence that suddenly erupted. Kai looked back to see a blushing Tao looking down at the floor and not making any type of eye contact.

“Yeah?” Kai answered.

“I, uhm. How do I put this?” Tao said, scratching the nape of his neck. He just suddenly lost confidence. But he realized that it was now or never.

“I really like you too Kai, ever since we were children. You were the closest person to me. You played with me despite the fact that no one else would. You accompanied me this whole time. Yes, I’m mad at you for not helping me during the first few weeks of university. But that’s partially my fault too. I never tried to make friends or communicate with anyone anyway,” Tao confessed. He could feel the tears coming out. He was scared as to what was coming next but at the same time, relieved that said what he wanted, no, needed to say.

Kai looked at Tao in astonishment. He was stunned at what Tao said. It took a few seconds before Kai walked back to Tao and closed the distance between them. Kai held Tao’s arms on the side and kissed him ever so passionately. Tao, who was shocked at first, gave in to Kai’s sweet and lovely kiss as well.

“Finally, after all these years,” Kai said after they pulled back. He looked at Tao straight in the eyes and smiled. Tao, seeing this, smiled as well. Words could not describe how the both of them felt right now.

“I’m so sorry for not helping you adjust to university life on the first few days. But I swear, it’s going to get better from now on. Don’t worry, kay?” Kai said to Tao reassuringly. Tao simply nodded. “Go rest, you had a long day. I am going to go now. I’ll call you when I get home, alright?” Kai said. Once again, Tao simply nodded and walked back to his bed to sit down. Before Kai left, he walked back to Tao’s bed and pecked Tao’s lips.

“Good night, Tao,” he said in his low and soothing voice.

“Good night, Kai. See you tomorrow,” Tao replied, smiling like an idiot. Kai smiled and proceeded to the door. Once he closed it, Tao flopped on the bed, still smiling.

After a nice refreshing shower, Tao went back to his room and prepared to go to sleep. Suddenly, his phone rang. Tao, being the introvert he was, didn’t want to answer the phone at first. However, after remembering what Kai said about calling him, he answered it anyway.

“Hello?” Tao said.

“Hey, whatcha doin’?” the person on the other end of the line said. Tao knew that voice too well. He grinned so widely it could tear his lips.

 “Nothing, you?” he replied.

This is going to be a long night, he thought to himself. This time, smiling.

                                                                                                                                                                                                              

a/n: I'm finally done! I hope you liked it :) Since I am not writing and fan-fics at the moment, comment on what you want me to write? Inspire me, people! <3 It'll be like a request, yeah? Thanks to my subscribers (although it's little BUT I LOVE EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU) and the viewers :D Hey silent readers, I see you and I still love you! Come gimme a hug {()} Although, it'll give you a more massive hug if you guys comment on this story. Thank you very much :*

-xoxo

Biksseu