No Boundaries : The Girl Named JooEun

[Oneshot] No Boundaries

"JooEun~ah..."

In her dreams, that voice called her again.

"Jooeun~ah it's almost five, you'll be late for school."

It was warm. And at once, she saw a face she could not recognize. It was that man again.

But she knew that when she opened her eyes...he will be gone.

Something warm touched her face and her nose. A little smile formed on her lips as she slowly opened her eyes only to see that alarm clock by the beside table.

She reached out to turn off the alarm she set. "I beat the alarm everytime." she chuckled. "Good morning!"

"Eung..." she groaned while stretching her arms and yawned.

She stood up and opened the windows. It was another day of bliss.

She headed to the bathroom and opened the faucet, filling the room with mist.

Six months. She wiped the mirror and watched her reflection. She was happy and contented in the past six months. Her love was eaten with those five years that passed. She took a bath and fixed herself in front of the mirror like she normally does. Combing her long black hair, she adored how her eyes reflect everything.

She opened her bedroom door and went to the fridge where her daily schedule was posted. She took out the plastic container that has her left-over food from last night.

"Ummm..." she mumbled while shoving it inside the microwave. "After five, I'll meet Hyosun and the others. And maybe when the party ended early, I'll go to the park and breath some fresh air."

She opened the fridge again and took out a carton of fresh milk. She nodded, satisfied that she remembered everything.

After eating her breakfast she took her things and went out of her apartment. There was a bus station just a few meters away. A drop of snow fell on her nose.

"Oh, first snow?" She lifted her hand and let the snow fall on her palm. "Oh! Majayo! I left my gloves!" she ran back inside.

She opened her apartment. As she passed her kitchen, a ballpen fell and on the floor laid a piece of white feather. She smiled. "My angel came again?"

She picked up the feather and headed to her room. She opened her closet and took the new gloves given to her by her mom and at the same time, she placed that feather inside a jar.

In those six months, she had collected one to two pieces of feather a day somewhere inside the house. It was strange at first because there were no birds outside or if there was any, she never left her window open. She just concluded that it was her guardian angel that visited her everyday. The same reason why she always wakes up in a good mood every morning. She ran again and headed out. She touched her cheeks with the warm gloves.

"Good thing omma gave these to me. Ooohhh...so warm." she said as she walked hurriedly.

Another strange thing though...even with the cold weather, she never gets cold.


"Eodiseo, JooEun~ah?"  Hyosun said from the other end of the line.

"I'm already inside the train, don't worry I won't escape!" she joked. "Ne, I'll be there."

She sighed. The truth was she was already tired. She had her midterm examinations that day and they were given tons of projects for the next few weeks. She wanted to go home and sleep.

"No, I promised Hyosun that I will go." she said to herself, trying to cheer herself up.

"Namsan-Dong Station..." the voice announced.

She stood up as the doors opened and headed out to the fourth exit. It was already past six in the evening.

"JooEun~ah!" a female shouted the moment she arrived at the exit.

"Hyosun~ah!" she greeted her and gave her a hug. "How are you? I missed you so much!"

"You look happy, do you have a boyfriend? You should've brought him with you." The other girl teased.

"Me?" Never. She never had a boyfriend since five years ago. She looked behind at the clock by the station's door. "I am early. Let's go."

It was a gathering their classmates from highschool had planned. She laughed and talked with the others, glancing at the clock once in a while, checking if she can still reach home with enough time to do her job.

The night grew deeper, and as time went by she felt so warm. She tried to enjoy other people's company, but the truth was, she was feeling something awfully familliar. The feeling of losing something. She leaned over the counter, and without thought, the glass from her hand slipped.

"Omo," unconsciously, she started to pick up the shattered glass. "Ouch!"

"JooEun~ssi gwaenchana?" Donghae hurried to her side.

She turned around, holding her wounded finger and faced him. Her heart skipped a beat. He held her hand. Without thought, her tears started to fall.

Donghae watched her tears fall in an endless stream. She cried that much for such a small wound. "What happened?"

She shook her head. "I lost something..." it was a whisper. "There's something that was gone..."

But deep inside her heart, thoughts of the past five years came back into her mind.


"Leeteuk oppa!!!" she shouted. "Leeteuk oppa!!!"

She watched the fire eat the car. An explosion happened. "Andwae!!"

The medics tried to pull her. And as if she was there, she can feel the fire burning her skin. He was there...inside that car. Yet, they did not manage to help him.

She can do nothing but watch her beloved die...and before her eyes...everything turned white. The last picture of the man she loved was gone. And it was something she would not want to remember again.