Chapter 13

Mr. Perfect

Inside Autumn Cafe - 1:00 pm:

It had been over two weeks since Charmaine's breakup with Benny. Raymond had made it a habit to stop and visit with Ron almost every night hoping to catch a glimpse of Charmaine. But each time, she was either out or didn't come out of her room. He had a feeling that she was avoiding him and he was frustrated by it. Ron acted as the middle man and tried to smooth things out between them but apparently Charmaine either ignored him or changed the subject whenever Raymond's name was brought up.

"Raymond? Raymond?" Ron waved his hand in front of Raymond's face. "Are you still with me?"

Raymond snapped out of his thoughts and turned to look at Ron. "What?"

"What's wrong with you? A lot on your mind?"

Trying to sound casual, Raymond replied, "No. I was just thinking about something right now."

Ron chuckled as he forked a piece of his curried chicken into his mouth, closing his eyes to savor the flavor.

"What's so funny?" Raymond asked when he noticed the knowing look on Ron's face.

Putting down his fork, Ron turned to Raymond. He looked intently at Raymond and sighed. "I know all about it."

Not knowing what Ron was referring to Raymond asked innocently, "Know about what?"

"Charmaine," Ron said simply and sat back to watch Raymond's reaction.

Trying to remain cool and collective, Raymond stuttered, "What.. what about her?"

Ron smiled impishly at Raymond forking another piece of chicken into his mouth. With his mouth fulled he mumbled, "Come on.. we've been friends for a long time. I know that you have feelings for Charmaine."

Instead of denying it as Ron expected him to, Raymond bravely admitted to it. "Yes. So? As far as I know she doesn't feel the same way. In fact, the less she sees of me the happier she is."

Ron looked sympathetically at Raymond. "Can you blame her? Look at the things that you have done and said to her in the past."

Feeling remorseful for his past conduct, Raymond uttered, "I know." He looked at Ron. "I can't even explain to myself why I was so rude to her. I guess I was trying to fight my feelings for her."

Ron looked perplexed. "But why were you fighting it?"

Raymond didn't know himself and was exasperated with Ron's question. Tartly he said, "I really don't know! Don't ask anymore!"

Ron ignored his tone and grinned at Raymond. "Tell you what. I'll ask Myolie and Charmaine out for dinner with us one night. That way you'll have the chance to talk to her civilly. Does that sound good to you?"

Ron's suggestion sounded like a good idea. Perhaps if he's cordial to her she might start to view him differently. Raymond soften his tone and smiled. "Thanks buddy."