Chapter 03

When We Say

Sunggyu slurped loudly with his straw, trying to get the last of his juice out of the box and snapping you out of your flashback.  The sun was already starting to set. How long were you silently sitting going through your flashbacks?

Though it was usually always the three of you together, today was different. Sunggyu had asked you to spend the day with him and only him. You owed him that much since it was his last day before he left for college on the other side of the country. He was accepted in to one of the most prestigious music colleges in the country and everyone who went there wanting to become a musician became one. Even though it meant he had to leave you, you could only urge him to go and live his dream.

The thought of him leaving was almost unbearable, but you couldn’t show it because by now you knew him well enough that if you showed any sign of weakness towards him leaving, he wouldn’t. You loved him so much, you couldn’t let him stay, you didn’t want to hold him back.

Sunggyu noticed there was something wrong, you were never this quiet. He moved closer to you and put his arm over your shoulders, “I can stay if you don’t want me to leave. I can take the same classes at the local university, it would be the same as if I were going to the music school across the country. The only difference is that I would be closer to you.”
You talked slowly hiding the fact you were about to cry, “It wouldn’t be the same. You won’t receive the same type of education you would here at the university as you would at that prestigious school. Sunggyu, don’t lie to me, I know it’s your dream to go there and become a musician.”

“Don’t lie to me either, I know you’re bothered by the idea of me leaving. I can see right through you, you know. Even on the first day we met, when you tried to hide that you weren’t lost, I knew you were.”
Your heart started aching, it was like he had just read your mind.

The two of you just sat there quietly, until the sun had completely set and then Sunggyu took you home.
He walked you to your door before walking to his house down the street. It was almost like he was waiting for you to break down just so he could hold you. He wouldn’t let go, thinking that if you started crying now, it would be a sign for him not to leave.
But you somehow found the strength not to cry. You knew that if you did, he wouldn’t leave and you didn’t want that. You didn’t want to be the reason why he couldn’t live his dreams. You would wait until after he left to cry your heart out.

Just as you were about to put your key into the lock, Sunggyu grabbed you and pulled you into a tight hug. His hugs usually made you feel better, but this one seemed to only make you feel worse.
Sunggyu put his lips to your forehead as his heart started beating quickly and he was sure you could hear it. Be mine, he wanted to say.

You were the one to break the hug, putting your hands to his chest and slightly pushing him off.
You couldn’t even look at him anymore, afraid that if you did you were sure to expose your true feelings. “I’ll see you tomorrow,” you said almost whispering.

You quickly unlocked your door, threw your shoes off, and ran into your room.

It didn’t help that most of your room was packed away in boxes. You were moving into your dorm soon. No one understood why, you didn’t live far from the university, but you always replied with, “I think there would be less distractions if I lived on campus.” That answer usually convinced everyone. But Dongwoo knew better, he knew living on campus meant that you would avoid driving by Sunggyu’s house, the park where the three of you would always hang out when you were bored, anywhere that held memories of Sunggyu.
Dongwoo would be moving into the dorms too, his only other option after you declined his offer of moving together into an apartment. He knew you would need him and he made sure to he was there when that time came.