Memories of You

Summer Night's Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘Class comments on Jonathan’s movie script?’ the professor probed his class of 30 students to react to Song Joong Ki’s work.

‘Although it’s the typical child has a rare disease and his father is a doctor and sacrifices everything even his life to develop a cure, the underlying theme of paternal love tugs at the viewers’ heart’ a student sitting in the back of the room replied.

‘Agreed, the father’s willingness to inject a deadly virus into his body to test various medications show the degree of love he has for his son makes the audience think about the themes of love and selfless.  I can’t wait to see it filmed, this one will definitely be the film of the year for our class’ another student in the class began to praise Joong Ki’s film concept.

‘I can see a future Christopher Nolan in you Jonathan, keep up with the good work!’ the professor cleared his throat ready to pick on the next victim in the class and dissect their work apart.

‘We only have time for one more, lets see who the lucky winner is.  Miss Sarah Park, tell us about your movie script’

Shin Hye was fidgeting in her seat and was more nervous than she has even been in her whole entire life.  She has auditioned for countless roles in front of ruthless directors and producers who have nothing to say but harsh criticisms on her acting ability and still she didn’t let them faze her but.  She wet her dry mouth by consuming the water from her plastic bottle and gathered her courage waiting for her classmates to pick at every detail of her script for good or worse.

‘Umm…my movie script is about…a South Korean solider who falls in love with a North Korean girl who turns out to be a spy…and he has to battle between his love for her or his responsibility to protect his country…and decide if he is going to blow her cover…and maybe kill her’ Shin Hye stuttered anxiously hoping that they would like her movie concept.

‘Class what do you think of Sarah’s choppy movie synopsis?’ The professor had a look a disappointment painted on his face.

‘Well the plot sounds a little old school, don’t you think?’ one of her classmates who used to work at Paramount Films begin to arrogantly tear her movie concept apart.

‘First off, does love at first sight really happen? Second, how is this South Korean solider suppose to meet this North Korean spy, at the border of the two countries? Third, he’s a solider, so of course his loyalty lies with his country, when have you heard of a solider giving up his country for love? So in the end she’s just going to die right? So the audience already knows the ending before the movie starts, so what’s the fun in watching it?’

Shin Hye turned towards Jeff, the self proclaimed film prodigy who studied at NYU film for undergrad and landed a job as Steven Spielberg’s assistant.  He was always gloating to the class that he’s worked with all who’s who in Hollywood and that he was taking this master’s course as a vacation from the hectic entertainment world.  He definitely was not a shy guy and loved telling his classmates that their work could not even come close to competing with his.

‘There is something called love at first sight, it happens you know.’ Shin Hye glared at him and strongly interjected defending her movie concept.

‘Love at first sight? What are we in elementary school here? Sarah, excuse me if you haven’t forgotten this is America not ancient Korea.  Just because you have a pretty face doesn’t mean that everyone is going to fall for you and your boring movie.  Pretty girls don’t always win’ he scoffed at her.

Shin Hye could feel her blood rising and was ready to battle it out with him.

‘Hey Jeff! Don’t you think you’re comments are a little personal.  We’re suppose to critique each other’s work and not the actual person.  So please be more professional.’ Joong Ki loud voiced echoed through the small class room clearly hinting to Jeff to back off and be nice to Shin Hye.

‘Class, lets keep the critiques clean.  Remember we’re only analyzing the work and not the creator’ the professor cleared his throat in attempt to calm the two young adult men down.

‘Sarah, I think the direction is good but you need to do some more work on refining your characters.  Right now they are a little flat add an event or something that ties the two of them together to make them appeal to the audience more. Ok class, that’s enough for today, until next week.’

Shin Hye nodded as her professor gave her the tips on refining her concept and began to pack away her things into her bag.  She rushed out of the room to hide her embarrassment of doing so poorly on her first movie script draft and was heading straight to the library to do some more research to perfect her script.

‘Shin Hye! Wait up!’ Joong Ki hollered as he ran up to catch her.

‘Shhh’ Shin Hye turned around and placed her forefinger against her pursed lips. ‘people will recognize us, remember?’

‘We’re the only Koreans in this masters program, I doubt people will recognize us.  Plus, even if they do, it’s America they’ll respect our privacy.’ he smiled at her ‘Do you have lunch plans?’

‘Huh?’

‘Lunch, as in eat food.  I heard you tummy grumbiling in class.  Kaja! Lets go to lunch! I know a Korean restaurant nearby that has awesome tteokbokki as good as Seoul’  he opened his eyes wide in delight.

‘Ani, I’m going to pass.  After getting humiliated by Jeff I need to spend more time refining my script’ she sighed in frustration, she thought that she would be good at this whole film making thing but yet again it looks like she’s going to fail.

‘Don’t worry about him.  Jeff is Jeff, he’s never going to like other people’s work’

‘It’s easy for you to say, the professor loved your script.  He even said that you’re going to be the future Christopher Nolan.  Me on the other hand, I have a lot of work to do because I’m just a pretty face’

‘Yah Park Shin Hye! I hear that the professor used to critique George Lucas when he studied under him.  He only critiques people who he thinks have potential.  So I think you’re worrying about nothing, who knows maybe one day you’ll be like George Lucas become famous as a director and donate $500 million to build a new cinema building for USC.  Come on lets go to lunch!’ 

‘Thanks for the offer Joong Ki but the library is waiting for me.’ Shin Hye waved goodbye and walked towards the bike rack to find her bike.

‘Call me if you need anything! Park Shin Hye fighting!’ he yelled, his voice cutting through the quiet courtyard.

*****************

Lee Min Ho poked at his food missing his mom’s home cooked meals and wishing that we would be eating grilled steak than vegetables and rice.  The base camp near the de militarized zone that separated South Korea from North Korea was beginning to get colder day by day as fall turned into winter. 

Min Ho has been serving his mandatory enlistment for the past 3 months in the DMZ army base.  The army knew about his past injuries from the near fatal car accident he was involved in during his early 20s so they decided to give him a break and allow for him to protect the DMZ border with his fellow soldiers.  Min Ho would spend half his time stationed at a staff post monitoring any suspicious border activity ensuring that no North Korean soldiers trespass the 18 feet barbed wire fence.  His other half was spent on greeting and educating tourists on the DMZ zone.  The tourists who visited the DMZ zone were unable to recognize that tall, dark skinned man with a close buzz cut was no other than the Hallyu King Lee Min Ho and instead just assumed he was another good looking Korean man who was serving his mandatory service like a loyal citizen.  For once, he was able to be free and act like a normal person nothing having to worry how the public would view him and his actions.

‘Hyung, what are you plans for your furlough?’ Cho Young slapped his shoulder.

‘I’m just going to spend it at home in my nice comfy bed.’

‘Isn’t that a waste’ Cho Young shook his head like he was expecting a better answer.

‘Wae?’ Min Ho chuckled amused to hear what Cho Young had in mind.

‘I was hoping you were going to attend some parties given it’s around Christmas and let me tag along.  You know I would love to meet a pretty actress.’ Cho Young winked at him.

‘Aish! You already have a girlfriend, stay away from those actresses they are no good.  You’ll regret it when they come in between you and your girlfriend’

The soldiers from the back of the cafeteria began to holler and cheer at the tv.  Min Ho turned his body around to catch a glimpse of the program, curious to see what the other men were excited about.

‘Hyung, debak! Isn’t that Park Shin Hye?’ Cho Young pointed towards the c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter