take me when you leave

공사가 [ d a y d r e a m e r ] ☂ exo drabble collection

Title: Take Me When You Leave 
Pairing: Kyungsoo/Jongin
Genre: fluff
Rating: G
Summary: Kyungsoo gets a draft notice to go to the army.

based on this gifset [please click it omg you'll see why I wrote this at all]
 


 

                It had been a while since the notice in the letter came, something about the town office forgetting to make rounds around the village to distribute the daily post. That is why all Kyungsoo has left is three and a half days with Jongin before he is required to pack his bags and leave for the army. It isn’t something they had been dreading; both of them had been expecting it to happen sooner or later but since Kyungsoo is someone who lives with the motto “embrace it if you can’t win it” hanging on his tongue, farewell isn’t as painful as it is expected to be.
 

                On the day of the enlistment, Jongin stands outside of Kyungsoo’s house with nervous feet kicking at the dirt under his toes. The younger doesn’t say anything as they walk alongside each other with hands brushing against each other side by side, so Kyungsoo decides to break the silence.
 

                “You okay?” he tries, but Jongin just stares at the ground and it makes Kyungsoo laugh a little at how cute he is. “Hey, you’re not the one being sent off to risk your life so stop pouting, will you?”
 

                Jongin gives him a scowl because that is the exact thing he is dreading: Kyungsoo’s unguaranteed safety. They had been neighbors for as long as they can remember, Jongin moving to the countryside two months after Kyungsoo had, and because neither had had friends at their new school, they'd hit it off well. There had been awkward moments, ones when Jongin would stare a little too long into Kyungsoo’s eyes and Kyungsoo hadn’t bothered to look away; long nights under the single light bulb in Jongin’s room as they snuggled together to watch the movie blaring on the TV screen, stealing handfuls of popcorn and tingling finger touches. The little things had grown and grown until it had become a big, big mess and now when Jongin looks at him with those eyes, Kyungsoo almost thinks he wants to kiss him.
 

                “Oppa! Jongin oppa!” a voice yells from over the hill suddenly, and when they turn around to squint under the rising sun they see that it’s the daughter of the town mayor. “Oppa! We have mail for you but appa messed up again and forgot to give it to you!” she says as she doubles over to catch her breath. Jongin takes the envelope in her hands with a curious look and when he opens it, Kyungsoo sees an unreadable expression crawl over his face.
 

                “What is it?” Kyungsoo asks, unable to keep his patience at bay because Jongin looks like he might cry or laugh or break out in both at the same time, but still he says no words.
 

                “Thanks,” Jongin finally says, but it’s to the girl. Kyungsoo tries to take a peek at the letter in his hands but Jongin has already folded the creases again. The mayor’s daughter runs back over the hill with a wave of her hands, and when she is out of their line of sight, Kyungsoo feels a pair of eager arms pouncing on him.
 

                “J-Jongin!” he says in surprise. The younger is laughing by his ear and Kyungsoo is thoroughly confused. There is about ten minutes left before he has to be by the entrance, but here Jongin is, taking his merry time and bursting bubbles of carbon dioxide in the air.
 

                There is a buildup of rhythm in the small left side of Kyungsoo’s chest, a sudden rush of adrenaline that makes his cheeks turn red as Jongin continues to hug him. “Jongin, what’s going on? Did you get your acceptance letter to colle-“
 

                And then suddenly, lips come pressing down on his own and Kyungsoo in his breath because there is absolutely no way this is real.
 

                It takes a while for the gravity of the situation to sink in, but Kyungsoo lets the image of Jongin’s gentle eyelashes fluttering a single millimeter before him tell him that this is happening. Arms falling by Jongin’s waist, Kyungsoo kisses back shyly, almost like a fly’s whisper, soft and barely there. It’s Jongin that breaks away first, leaving Kyungsoo out of breath before he even gets to fit his lips over the perfect grooves of Jongin’s and memorize them carefully, engrave them there before he leaves. When he finds enough courage to look up at him, though, there is a smile so big it might fall off Jongin’s face.
 

                “Let’s go,” the younger says, and Kyungsoo blinks in confusion as he finally, finally intertwines their fingers together.
 

                “W-Wait, I thought you were…?”
 

                Kyungsoo’s stomach churns with butterflies when Jongin bites down on his lips, the same ones that are glistening from their kiss.
 

                “I got my draft notice.”


 

                So when they get to the entrance of the training camp, Jongin waves Kyungsoo as many promising goodbyes as he physically can with a loving grin on his face. Kyungsoo turns back once, twice, three times as he laughs while the others are crying because it’s now that he finds it’s taken much too long for them to realize what the small fluttering in their hearts had meant.
 

                “See you in a few days, hyung!” Jongin yells, and Kyungsoo grins like an idiot as he waves back.
 

                “See you!”