Trip to the Faraway

Park Royal

Chapter11 Trip to the Faraway

 

"Jung Min, you will be the ambassador representing our country for a meeting with Japan to foster closer and better diplomatic ties. You will set off the day after tomorrow for your ten days trip in Japan." The King announced during the morning court.

 

This is no new experience for Jung Min as he has often been sent overseas for such purposes.

 

"Yes Father, I won't disappoint you." Jung Min bowed beyond 90degrees, knelt down and received the imperial decree from the King.

 

Hyun Joong took a glance over at his crown prince supporter group, which made up of many of the powerful court officials which he bribed or is his trusted servants, and he rolled his eyes at the King's announcement. He thinks that at least he could have done a better job than what Jung Min has been doing all these years. He wasn't given much chances in displaying his abilities in politics, not until he got married and was allowed into the court, and he felt that it was utterly unfair.

 

He remembered why he wanted to ask for Jae Eun's hand in marriage, it was to make Jung Min suffer seeing his lover becoming another's wife.  Why does he have to do so? Because he also suffered seeing many of his used-to-be supporters going to Jung Min's side. If this continues, it might be a threatening issue in regards of whether he, as the crown prince, could succeed the throne safely and successfully. If Jae Eun can become his, it might be a big distraction for Jung Min.

 

"If there's nothing else, all of you may be dismissed." The King said as soon as Jung Min returned to his position.

 

As the officials from the morning court dispersed, Jung Min was called into the King's quarters for a short talk between the father and son.

 

"Jung Min, you will be doing a great contribution for the country if the peace talks goes well between us and Japan. I would like to give you a reward in return when you come back, what would you like to have?" The King smiled as he patted the seat beside him and Jung Min went over to sit beside him.

 

Though he wasn't the crown prince nor the son of the queen, he was still looked up upon by the King due to his talents and ability which was proven by his success in politics.

 

"Father, it's my responsibility to serve the country by doing my little part. I do not need anything as I am happy with what I have now, but I want to ask for a hand in marriage."

 

Jung Min thought he saw the King shivered at the words 'Hand In Marriage', well, of course he doesn't know what good things his brothers have done before him that makes the King hate those words now.

 

"Hand... Hand in marriage? Tell me, which girl do you have in mind?" Just don't tell me it's Kim Jae Eun, the King prayed silently in his heart, in which, his prayers might not have been heard by above.

 

"Father, I like Jae Eun." The King almost face-palmed himself.

 

"Jae Eun is not our real..." Jung Min was cut off by the King, "I know, I have sent someone to check, she is adopted by your uncle after your cousin died."

 

Jung Min was partially in shock when he knew that the King have already known about it before he can tell him, was it Kyu Jong who met the King before he did?

 

The King, on the other hand, was deep in thought about the issue. This is the third hand in marriage for the week he has received with regards to Jae Eun, and this needs an end just in case the other two princes starts falling in love and fighting for her too, that would be something he does not want to see.

 

Since Jung Min, among the five princes, is the most capable and taken most credit in political affairs of the country, he should receive the reward.


"I promise you, upon your return from Japan, I will betroth Jae Eun to you and both of you can then prepare for your marriage." The King finally broke the long moment of silent which almost killed Jung Min.

 

"Really?!" Jung Min was so elated he almost jumped up to hug his father, but he tried to remain calm.

 

"Yes, would the King lie to you?" The King joked and laughed, "But that would mean that you will be motivated to do a better job for this mission, is that clear?"

 

"Yes Father!"

 

 

The next day, evening...

 

Jung Min and Hyung Jun came to the Princess' quarter to visit Jae Eun before Jung Min set off for his mission, accompanied by Hyung Jun this time round. It was Hyung Jun's first trip and he is awfully excited about it.

 

"Care to have a celebratory dinner together?" Jung Min flashed his signature prince smile when Jae Eun opened her room door, "I am setting off tomorrow."

 

"Me too!" Hyung Jun gave a ear-to-ear grin.

 

Jung Min lead the two to a grand looking pavilion where his servants has already prepared the tables and food for them.

 

There were three small tables and three cushions placed on the floor mats, and the trio settled themselves comfortably on them.

 

"Jae Eun ah, I am extremely happy today. Father has promised me that we can get married after I am back from Japan." Jung Min felt that he has to break the news to her and share the joy. After saying that, he left Jae Eun speechless for a moment, unable to digest the news.

 

"His majesty has agreed?" Jae Eun said, slightly in disbelief, but also happy about the fact she will be allowed to married the one she loves.

 

"Hyung, chukahae!" Hyung Jun beamed.

 

"But you will be leaving tomorrow, and I can't see the both of you for the next ten days." Jae Eun say disappointingly.

 

"Come on, you will see me soon, and I will miss you too. How about this, let me give you a parting present." Jung Min teased and took out his flute, his favourite pastime is playing that instrument, which was actually taught by Kyu Jong.

 

He brought the mouthpiece to his lips, his fingers finding their positions on the holes and he started a melodic tune. Hyung Jun was listening attentively to the performance while Jae Eun slowly rose from her seat and came to the center "stage", beginning to dance along with the music.

 

As she moved, her long dress and sleeve swayed around to her movement and the gentle breeze which envelopes them. Jung Min smiled, this is the first time he played the flute for someone, and first time someone dances for him.

 

"Jung Min oppa, saranghae."

 

"Saranghae." Jung Min pulled her into an embrace, his long slender fingers wrapped around her shoulders, letting her feel a sense of security.

 

From a far, a tall shadow moved, unnoticed. Their conversations have been loud enough for him to hear, and he let out a soft sigh, "Father has grant him his wish afterall, but I am not giving up."

 

[to be continued]

 

---------------------------

sorry for not updating as promptly as promised,
was busy for the past two days,
and finally, updated today!
hope this is not boring.