The Marriage Proposal

Park Royal

Chapter10 The Marriage Proposal

 

"Master, I have brought you the news you wanted." A young man in full black costume knelt before Hyun Joong and bowed his head low as he said. Hyun Joong nodded to indicate that he is listening, and the man explained how he had found out about the love triangle between Kyu Jong, Jung Min and Jae Eun, and the incident between them which happened outside the palace.

 

"Love triangle?" Hyun Joong questioned, "Jae Eun is our cousin, it is impossible for them to be together."

 

"No, master. Jung Min-gun has sent someone to check on her background and found out that she was adopted by the prince after his daughter died, so she is not the real princess." The man explained, still on his knees.

 

"Interesting." Hyun Joong laughed, and signalled the man to stand up, passing him some money as a reward, "Yoon ah, you did a good job. Go and have a rest now."

 

As soon as the man was gone from his study room, Hyun Joong eyed the golden yellow scroll in front of him and smirked. I am going to make them suffer and pay back what they have done.

 

He scooped up the brush from the table, dipped it lightly into the ink and started scribbling something onto the scroll. 'Request for hand in marriage' was what he wrote at the title. After finishing the report, he quickly changed into his royal court outfit and went to the palace, asking to see the king.

 

"His majesty, the crown prince seeks audience." The reporter announced and after the permission is granted, Hyun Joong steps into the room and greeted the King.

 

"I have only just met you in the morning, why are you here again? Is there any important matter?" The King didn't even look up from his work.

 

"Father, I am here to request for a hand in marriage." Hyun Joong started and passed the scroll to the King, who looked up in shock after reading it, "You want to marry your cousin? Are you crazy? There's no way this can be done!"

 

"No, Father, someone did a background check on Jae Eun and found out that she is not the real daughter of Uncle. The real Jae Eun died at three years old and Uncle adopted a girl who looked like her and gave her the same name." Hyun Joong explained in one breath, "That's why I am here to ask of you to grant my request. I really like her a lot." If heaven kills anyone for lying, he would have died just saying that. How on Earth would he like her?

 

"But you just got married to the Crown Princess not long ago, why would you need another wife so soon?" The King doubted.

 

"Father, I am already 18 when I have my first wife. The other Crown Prince from the previous rulers could already have three of more wives." Hyun Joong debated.

 

"Well, that's true. If that's really so... I will send someone to check on it again, till then, I will consider your request." The King answered and Hyun Joong beamed, thinking that  he is half way to succeeding. Smiling, he thanked the King and returned home.

 

Somehow, news spreads too quickly and the crown princess knew about Hyun Joong's asking for another marriage. She was unhappy but she faked ignorance and acted as normal when Hyun Joong got home. Though she can be a scary vicious lady, but in front of her most beloved husband, she will always be the virtue and gentle wife.

 

The next day, Young Saeng came over to visit Hyun Joong. Because Hyun Joong has already got married, he has moved out of the Princes' quarters and was given his own house, and as the Crown Prince, he has been so busy, hence it was hard for the two pranksters to meet up to have fun.

 

Hyun Joong was busy meeting some officials in his study room and Young Saeng had to wait in the hall. Taking this opportunity, the Crown Princess asked all servants to leave them while she settled herself beside Young Saeng.

 

"Saeng ah, you like Jae Eun right?" She started.

 

"How...how did you know?" Young Saeng stuttered abit, he always thought everyone wouldn't find out about his crush on Jae Eun ever since she saved him.

 

"I can tell. Since the time she saved you, you wouldn't agree to participate in any pranks with Crown Prince targeted at her. You gave excuse like you're busy or that you're worried that the King may find out again." She explained slowly.

 

"I..." Young Saeng is wordless and he nodded, "Yes, I like her. But it's impossible, she's my cousin."

 

"It's not impossible." The Crown Princess lowered her voice and told Young Saeng that Hyun Joong has discovered that Jae Eun was an adopted child and that Hyun Joong himself wanted to make Jung Min and Kyu Jong suffer, so he went to ask for Jae Eun's hand in marriage despite having no feelings for her at all. "I am telling you this because I love the Crown Prince and I don't want him to get another wife so soon, and you are my brother and I know you like her. So, maybe you can ask Father about it."

 

Just as she finished saying that, Hyun Joong came into the hall, looking blankly at them, "What are you two discussing about that you have to talk so softly?"

 

The Crown Princess stood up and faked a gentle laugh, explained, "Ani, I was telling Young Saeng how busy you have been as he has been unhappy that he is left alone after you moved out of the Princes' quarters. Right, Young Saeng?" And Young Saeng nodded, forcing a bitter-sweet smile so that Hyun Joong would not suspect anything.

 

Hyun Joong sat down and sighed, "Mian, Young Saeng ah. I know you miss me."

 

 

The next day...

 

After the morning court was dismissed, Young Saeng stayed behind and went to the King's quarters to see the King. Like Hyun Joong, he brought along a scroll in which was written his 'Request for Hand in Marriage'.

 

"You want to marry Jae Eun?!" The King almost choked. This is the second time of the week someone is having this request, "Why?"

 

"I like her," Young Saeng blushed as this is his first time confessing about his love for a girl. Or rather, this is his first time falling in love too, "The other time you reprimanded me, I went out in a huff for a hunting session but got lost in the forest due to the fog, and I was bitten by a poisonous snake. It was Jae Eun who came to save me, else I would have died. Since then, I realized I had feelings for her..."

 

"Well, I see that she is a very capable child." The King smiled.

 

"No! Father!" Someone budged into the room and shouted. Both turned to look and saw Hyun Joong standing at the door, "Father, you promised me first! Jae Eun is mine!"

 

Young Saeng stood up from his seat and glared at his brother, "You don't love her at all, why would you want to ruin her happiness? You already had a wife, but I don't, I can give her all my love and happiness."

 

"You fu..."

 

"Both of you, shut up!" The King ordered and slammed the table, the both of them immediately went silent. "Are you guys crazy? You guys are brothers, yet you are fighting over a girl just because you want to ask for her hand in marriage. Did I teach you to be like this?"

 

They lowered their heads, however, not in shame as in their hearts, they felt that what they did is right.

 

"Right, this matter is settled. I won't agree to any of your requests. Get out now."

 

[to be continued]

 

-----------------------------------

Updated again!
Hehe, i feel that Im kinda addicted with this story.
This is the more complications I'm talking about :P
This is not the end to the series of 'Request for Hand in Marriage'.
Will you guys be able to guess what would happen next?
Would be uploading the next chapter on 2APR!