When Darkness falls, So Do I (Myungjong)

Whisper Sweet Nothings [Hiatus]

 

 

 

Myungsoo didn't believe in guardian angels. They were just some strange fantasy people believed and made up in to give them some kind of hope in life. He didn't feel the need to believe in them, they were all utter bull in his piercing eyes. If they were real, why didn't that come and save him? They were a bunch of jokes. Jokes he could but didn't laugh at. 

However, guardian devils were something totally different. They were real, unlike the angels. Why did he believe in them? Simple, it's because he had one with him. One which gives his despair but the eyes to see the world as it is. The one that makes him lose hope and gain a sense of reality. That was what his guardian devil did.   His one was in the form of himself. 

 

 

 

'What are you doing? Walk away.'

Myungsoo watched the young boy get beaten over and over again in the corner or an alley way. He looked young, almost too young to go out in the streets at this kind of time. The sun had already fallen and left hours ago, leaving the darkness and the moon to do its work. 

The moon was their source of light. It was a way of telling the people what despite the loss of the sun; it will always be back in a new dawn. In some ways, the moon was like a guardian angel that hides in the dark to reassure them of the light. 

 

 

 

"I...I..." He wanted to say something but no words came to him. The boy was getting beaten up and all he did was stand there and watch as the gang kicked and battered him as if he was a lump of meat in need of strong marinating. 

 

 

 

'Leave now! Don't care about them, they are useless.'

It had always been a low voice who commanded him to do these things. To watch the suffering and leave after when there was nothing more to witness. It was a painful and horrifying experience to watch a human being treated lower than a sewage rat. It would always haunt him for a few days, remembering back to his first sighting of death itself coming into the world in a black cloak draped all over. He didn't sleep for months. Not properly that is. Even to this day could he still hear the horrific screams of that girl, her cries for help and those piercing eyes which stared at him in confusion to why he was watching rather than helping. They locked eyes for a bit before the girl was hit on the back of her head with a baseball bat with great force. He could never forget those eyes which turned from full of life to dead and overturned in a split second. He should but didn't do anything. 

 

 

 

"I...I..." 

 

 

 

'Don't want to run? I want to save him? I want to save him because I didn't save her? Don't make me laugh Myungsoo. You are here to witness the cruelty of life and this world, not to become a hero to the people.'

Yes, he was a joke. He was a total joke that not even he, would laugh at. An un-said joke, in a form of a human being, forever is laughed at without the sound of laughter being directed at him. What a strange paradox we have here.

 

 

 

"I'll leave..." He finally managed to bring out a sentence from his lips. He took a deep breath with his eyes closed before opening them back again. The screams and cries for help of the boy were still there. He hoped the hang would show him some mercy and just do a bullet to the head but of course not. They liked to watch the life of a human slowly lose itself rather than quick and simple. There was nothing they would lose, but rather gain. They were the feelings of satisfactory. Being satisfied in the best way possible from them which was something Myungsoo hated. 

That was when it happened, the eye contact. The boy had spotted him and reached out to Myungsoo. Crawling on the ground but getting nowhere. It gave him the illusion of getting closer to life as he begged Myungsoo to save him. Of course Myungsoo didn't budge. 

 

 

 

"Please...help...me..." This had been the first time Myungsoo had heard the boy's voice so...well, clearly but that wasn't the correct word to describe it with the amount of blood the boy was spewing up however, it was actual words rather and screaming and shouting.  

 

 

 

"I...I..." He took a step back. The men who were beating the little boy looked up an saw Myungsoo standing there watching. A smirk came to their lips as they walked towards Myungsoo, abandoning the boy. 

"I...I..." 

 

 

 

'You're on your own now. You see, when you help someone, they won't help you back. Soon, you'll be all alone. You are born alone, you die alone.'

Myungsoo tried to run but his feet brought him nowhere. Was it the guilt of not helping? Was it that he finally decided he didn't want this life. What kind of life did he have? A cursed life. Now, he was sure he didn't want his guardian devil anymore, or rather; he'll try and meet him. 

 

 

 

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" A loud voice came across the street. Everyone turned around; including the injured boy who was lying on the ground turned his head towards the voice. Myungsoo's eyes widened to see who it was. 

 

 

 

"Sungjong ssi..." The men quickly bowed to a right angle, not caring if they hurt their backs. Of course they would, who didn't dare defy the great Lee Sungjong. Sungjong's eyes diverted to the injured boy and then to the frightened man. 

 

 

 

"Get off my land before I shoot you all in the ing head." 

 

 

 

"Yes Sungjong ssi!" The men bowed once again and ran as far as they could in the opposite direction to where Sungjong was standing. Myungsoo couldn't keep his eyes away from Sungjong, even his name was enchanting, never mind his voice. 

Sungjong walked over to Myungsoo with 2 people following him closely. Sungjong stood right in front of Myungsoo, not leaving any space between them as he looked up at him as he was a bit shorter. A scoff came from his lips as he walked away from him and to the injured boy. 

 

 

 

"Are you ok?" His voice instantly became a smooth, silky tone as he caressed the boy's face. He knelt down closely, examining his injures, pain in his eyes seeing how much the boy endured. 

"I'm sorry..." The boy shook his head and resting his bloody hand on Sungjong's.  

 

 

 

 "Thank you..." The boy smiled, his eyes lids began to flutter, becoming too hard for the boy to keep open. 

 

 

 

"Woohyun! Dongwoo! Help him!" Sungjong panicked, clutching onto the boy's hand tightly. The two ran over to the younger and knelt down, checking the pulse of the boy. 

 

 

 

"We need to bring him to Sunggyu and quick!" Woohyun told them. Sungjong nodded and stood up as he watched Woohyun help the boy onto Dongwoo's back. The four of them left, walking in the direction of where the first came from. Myungsoo's eyes seemed to follow Sungjong's every movement, watching the younger's back as he walked away. Suddenly, Sungjong stopped walking. 

 

 

 

"Aren't you coming?" He shouted, turning his head around to see Myungsoo's face. He stood there for a bit, flabbergasted before finally coming to reality and gave a nod. Unlike a while ago, his legs seemed to move on their own and eager to go to Sungjong's side. 

They stopped at a nearby van, big enough to hold 8 grown people without feeling too cramped. Myungsoo sat next to the window with Dongwoo next to him and the injured boy at the furthest end. Woohyun was driving with Sungjong sitting on the front passages seat. Myungsoo watched as the buildings flew passed. They were skyscrapers to be exact, but not as luxurious as before with the broken interior and exterior, but skyscrapers none the less. He has never really paid attention to the land. He didn't caring if it was a dump or not since it wasn't his problem. People die, people cry, neither was his problem and this world? That wasn't his to go crazy over either. He wasn't going to be here for long so why bother to clean up a dump that would just get worse. 

 

 

 

"Dongwoo." Someone said to him. He turned around and saw one of the men smiling at him. 

 

 

 

"What?" 

 

 

 

"My name. It's Dongwoo, Jang Dongwoo if you're into specifics." Myungsoo nodded and planted the name into his head.

"That over there who's driving it Nam Woohyun and the one beside him is the one and only Lee Sungjong!" He smiled, giving a small clap at his words. 

 

 

 

"Myungsoo... Kim Myungsoo." 

 

 

 

"Kim? You’re the same family as Sunggyu then. What sector are you based at?" Dongwoo asked. The man was weirdly hyper which startled Myungsoo a bit. The two contrasted each other exactly. 

 

 

 

"I...I..." He was back to his old habits again, furthermore, he didn’t know what they were talking about.

 

 

 

"He's the one." Sungjong said everyone looked at him, including Myungsoo.

 

 

 

"Oh." Was all that came from Dongwoo's lips as he sat back in his seat and became quiet for the whole journey. Myungsoo was confused, what did he mean the one? It must not have been good if it made Dongwoo go quiet.  

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

The car journey had been longer than he expected. He felt drained out without having done anything active. He looked outside the window, a light yawn coming to his mouth before his eyes opened wide again at what he saw. 

 

 

 

"Surprised?" Dongwoo asked, a loud laugh came from his lips as Myungsoo nodded. He wasn't expecting this at all. Unlike before, the skyscrapers were in perfect condition. Talking was heard in every part, the night street seemed still very active, the lights almost blinded him, it was a perfect utopia, blocking out the dystopian landmarks that were behind it. He exited the car, Woohyun had the injured boy in his arms with Sungjong next to him. They were now far from the car while he was still next to it with Dongwoo. Another man joined them from inside the city, checking the injuries of the boy. 

 

 

 

"How?" 

 

 

 

"Sungjong. That boy is a miracle brought from the heavens. Without him, this little paradise would not be here." Dongwoo turned to face Myungsoo.

"You're lucky we found you two. You and that boy would have gotten killed out there! Don't worry now, you're safe with us." Myungsoo shook his head.

 

 

 

"No... I don't belong here... It's best if I leave now. Tell Sungjong ssi I said thank you." He put his hands in his pockets and proceeded to walk away. Dongwoo was about to stop him. 

 

 

 

"Why don't you say it yourself, Myungsoo ssi." Sungjong shouted, making Myungsoo stop in his tracks. 

"Dongwoo, go and help Woohyun and Sunggyu. I'll be back a bit later but first, I need to have a chat with Myungsoo ssi." Dongwoo nodded and ran to the open gates of the city. Myungsoo took in a deep breath, biting his bottom lip before turning around to see Sungjong walking over to him. 

 

 

 

"Stop! You know I can't." Sungjong didn't listen but instead ran over to Myungsoo and hugged the older. A smile crept up Sungjong's lips when he came in for a kiss. Myungsoo had missed this but couldn't bare it again. He tried to push the younger but his strength was lost against Sungjong. The kiss was sweet, memorable and innocent, another way to describe Sungjong. 

 

 

 

"You're an idiot." Sungjong whispered, parting away from the kiss. 

 

 

 

"No I'm not. You even said it in the car, I'm different from you! I can't be with you all, I don't belong here!" Myungsoo managed to push Sungjong away, creating some distance between them. 

 

 

 

"No Myungsoo hyung! You're the one who needs to stop this! Do you know how much it hurt when I woke up that day to find you missing? Do you know how long I searched for you? I did this all for you; I built you a home where everyone we love can be! You need to realise, you aren't cursed by the devil!" 

 

 

 

"Yes! Yes I am! How to explain that voice, the one I hear every day?! How do you explain that?!" 

 

 

 

"Listen clearly hyung! Listen to that voice. Is it really who you think it is? Or does it remind you of someone's? Perhaps someone close to you or even-" 

 

 

 

"Myself..." That was when it clicked. He had not been followed or cursed by a guardian devil, it was him all along. 

Sungjong's eyes softened. 

 

 

 

"Stop hurting yourself hyung. You couldn't stop their deaths. Sungyeol hyung didn't die because of you." Sungyeol, that name had left his mind many years ago. He was Sungjong's brother. He was one who many admired and loved for his childish actions which would always brighten up the town. He had died when they were 7 by a group of older men who picked on the neighbourhood kids. Unfortunately, they went too far and ended up killing a wealthy, powerful man's son. He was none other than Lee Sungyeol. This led to a war and any people died because of that. If his memory hadn't been so dazed, this would have been the official first death he witnessed. 

 

 

 

"I'm so sorry..." Sungjong came in for another hug, resting his ear on Myungsoo's chest. 

 

 

 

 

"Don't worry about it. It's been years since I last saw you." Sungjong smiled.

"Let's go home." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

M- “What did you mean by ‘the one’?”

S- “The one I’ve been looking for all these years, silly.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

'Guardian angels aren't real but Sungjong's different. He's the fallen angel here to look over me. He's my one and only. No devil of mine will make me think differently.'

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I managed to write this really, very quickly some how xDD I was meant to go to work today but I was too ill... T.T -sigh-

I'm so happy that everyone liked my other chapter xDD I hope you like this one :3 Hehehe~

Should I have rated this M?

 

 

Comments and Subscribes will be treasured and loved <3

 

 

Alicevalliere~