The Note

Two's Company, Three's a Crowd

So this was the real reason for Kris’s weird mood all this time?’ spoke Tao to a slightly disheartened Lay during Maths class the following week. Lay had tried to be supportive and helpful to Tao, but everything he said made him more and more upset as all he wanted was Tao for himself. Although, he had still yet to lose him to Kris.

----------

After the kiss on Friday night, a panicking Kris left, quicker than anyone had seen him move before, leaving a gob smacked Tao with questions lingering in his mind waiting to be answered.

‘Well this is quite a turn of advents,’ stated a sleepy Sehun wrapped around his little Luhunnie who had an equal expression on his face like everyone else in the room.

After a few moments of silence the atmosphere changed into a room filled with rage.

‘How can he just do that right after what has just happened? It doesn’t make any sense!’ began Luhan looking straight at Lay who was just sitting there nodding his head with everything being said. ‘What a ing moron! What does he really think he would achieve by kissing Tao! Like it has only been a week right? Wow that guy moves on fast!’ rambled Luhan, blocking out all others in the room.  

Tao sat there, thinking, questioning everything he just heard, wondering what the hell is going on.

‘Uh guys, care to explain?’ Tao nervously asked, wondering whether he would get shouted at for being kissed.

‘Ok well…’Sehun began now enjoying the conversation, moving closer and closer to Tao.

‘NO! SEHUN! DON’T YOU DARE SAY ANYTHING!’ shouted a distraught Lay, pushing the overly excited Sehun, making him roll over on the ground exclaiming, ‘you have to tell him, or I will’

‘Just not now, not today’ reasoned Lay with a face of sheer panic grabbing Tao’s arm and dragging him to outside his dorm.

‘I am sorry about that, I will explain to you what just happened, once I figure it out,’ spoke Lay staring into Tao’s eyes that was getting more and more confused.

‘But what is there to explain exactly, Kris kissed me for a dare? That’s all!’ Tao replied as the word ‘dare’ made a twang in his heart, contradicting from the rush he felt throughout the kiss.

‘The kiss is only half the story’ Lay stated bidding a goodnight to his confused friend.

----------

It was the period before lunch and Maths had just begun. Luhan was nowhere to be seen, like most Maths lesson as he was most likely having fun somewhere with Sehun during his free lesson. Tao finally understood for the first time the joy both Baekhyun and Xiumin had when they were in each other’s presence. The looks they gave each other, the small side smile creeping on the corners of their mouths and the constant loving aura they had just being in the same room.

‘They are sweet aren’t they?’ Tao whispered in Lay’s ear who sat to his left.

‘Yeah, if only the world was so kind to all of us,’ Lay replied with a subtle huff.

Kris was sat in his usual seat alongside the right of Lay, drowning him out with his earphones that has barely left his ears all week.

‘Hey, Lay. When are going to talk about what happened last week?’ Tao asked as the class drowned them, overpowering Xiumin’s sweet voice.

‘Umm…I could tell you now. It’s not like anyone will hear and anyway I wanted to tell you today,’ replied a nervous Lay thinking on how to start explaining.

‘Ok, so…you need to know some background before it really makes sense,’ he began ‘when Kris came over from China he had no-one. I was the only one who really saw potential in him I guess. So back in the day I suppose many saw me as a bit of a ladies man,’ continued Lay, laughing at his own description. ‘In fact I was like more of a….’

‘Yeah I can see that,’ laughed Tao with some disbelief.

‘Oi! Well I was one, I could tell you most of the girls weak spots in this class’ Lay replied proudly with his great knowledge earning a sudden taken back expression from Tao. ‘But that all changed when Kris turned up, he changed me and made me realise that gay was a lot more fun than straight ’ laughed out Lay getting attention from Kris who was burrowing his eye brows in a questioning way as he continued to block out every noise. ‘So instead I became Kris’s …every night,’ blurted out the ever confident Lay.

‘WHAT! I never knew that! Why didn’t you tell me before?’ Tao shouted causing the class to become silent and a slap on the head by Lay.

Thinking it was safer to write Tao ripped out a page from his note book and began writing.

Tao:

So how does this affect the kiss?

Lay:

 Me and Kris had the week before and he said things which I may have not reacted well to.

Tao:

Ok…but it doesn’t explain anything. What did he say?

Lay:

…That he loves me

 

It all made sense to Tao now; the distance, the anger in Luhan’s voice, the quietness of Lay the night of the kiss.

 

Tao:

Do you love him?

Lay:

I don’t know

 

As soon as Lay passed the paper back the Tao a familiar hand reached towards the paper, pulling it out from Tao’s grasp. Both Tao and Lay shot around towards Kris’s distraught face reading the private conversation about him. Panicking, Lay began stretching, fighting for the piece of paper.

‘Why the did you tell him. It’s got nothing to do with him!,’ Kris exclaimed, pointing towards Tao, making many curious faces turn around to look towards the scene that was folding out in front of them.

‘You made it his problem when you kissed him! So don’t you dare think it doesn’t affect anyone but yourself!’ shouted Lay, forgetting about the rest of the class. Kris fell silent, unable to fight back. Leaving the note on the table, Kris pulled himself from his chair and made his way towards the door turning around just before leaving the words linger in the air, ‘ you !’

The class, now full of conversation on the events which just happened, were out of control. Laughter, shouts and points were surrounding Lay as Xiumin stepped in trying to think up away to distract the class. With many unsuccessful attempts to control the class Baekhyun stepped in calling out to the class to leave for early lunch, which they agreed to without hesitation. 

As the room deserted, it only left Tao, Lay, Baekhyun and a panicked Xiumin. Moving away from the front desk Xiumin made his way towards Lay, clutching onto Baekhyun’s hand for a millisecond to thank him, receiving a peck on the cheek from the boy. Guessing Lay and Tao knew about the relationship Xiumin smiled to the boy’s, lifting the open note still lying on the table Kris had previously been sitting. After reading slowly with precision he raised his eyebrows handing the note to a silent Lay who stared pained at the table.

‘You need to get this sorted quickly,’ spoke Xiumin softly, ‘you don’t understand, what this sort of thing does to people.’ There was a moment silence. ‘If you still want to be friends with Kris, I need your trust. Bring all who knows about this to my flat at nine o’clock tonight, nobody must see you, especially any teachers.’ Xiumin walked out the room leaving the three confused, including Baekhyun.