1/4 - Usual I

The fall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 01 : Usual I

 

It was a Friday night, in which Daehyun had gone grocery shopping straight after getting off of work. He drove his car after getting himself few of the missing necessities of his house. Well, you can’t call that small piece of apartment a house, but that was where Daehyun lived. Though he wore a tie to work, he didn’t live in a mansion. He wasn’t a family yet, he didn’t see why he should look for a bigger apartment. He had been here – inside these neglected yellow walls of his apartment since collage.

He wasn’t the outgoing type; but his life wasn’t very bad. He sure meant to look for more when he left Busan to the big city of Seoul, but life here now was satisfactory.

The vehicle was parked where it usually would be, and soon was he stepping out with two bags of random grocery hanging each from his hands. He takes the elevator upstairs, and when he reaches his door, he shifts the bags to one hand and drags out the keys to open the locked door and to step in. He closes it back, turns the key and puts it in the nail beside the coat hanger. Maybe Daehyun wasn’t very sophisticated, but being simple wasn’t easy either. To put it all simply, he was neat. He was punctual. He wasn’t very adventurous.

You see, life favors the ones who seek adventure. But reality is; that the majority of the society is built by men who didn’t seek adventure. Men like Daehyun - the ordinary ones. Jung Daehyun sure knew he wasn’t one of the colored dots in the main picture. He was in the background. This, however, doesn’t mean he didn’t exist. Because he was ordinary, didn’t mean he didn’t have that tiny ball of hope and glister in the bottom of his existence. Everybody did; so Daehyun thinks having hopes for tomorrow is also one of the ordinary things that men come with. It just adds up to his boring life. Nothing ever happens that makes his life twist.

But Fridays, however – was just a bit different.

Jung Daehyun didn’t clearly understand what Yoo Youngjae is to him. First – when they met in collage, they were strangers. For few weeks, Daehyun would count them as friends. Then; after a drunk night – after having Daehyun still can’t very well recall, he would now call them buddies. Daehyun was simple; which didn’t mean he was dense. He was sharp – had his views of life – and right now; he just didn’t see why he should bother to name their relationship. They were somehow together, and well; he thought that was enough. Honestly.

Daehyun, after leaving his groceries on the dining table, strides to his room for a change of clothes. Grabbing his towel, he takes off his clothes for a bath.

He glances at the clock hung in his room to notice the time as half past nine.

‘It’s time’. He thinks, pushing the door open. He turns on the shower and stands in the warmth of the water – letting the heat sink into his blood.

As much as he tried not to expect, because Youngjae and him had never made promises – the time came. Soon there were knocks on the bathroom door.

Youngjae had himself a spare key for Daehyuns apartment, and every Friday night – he would invite himself over. He would come straight after work, spend the night – if he can, the next morning breakfast as well, and leaves. It was also, a part of ‘usual’ for Daehyun. Things somehow came down to that between him and Youngjae.

“You know its open…” Daehyun mutters, and the door creaks open into Youngjae – who as usual, had discarded all his clothes.

“Evening”

Daehyun laughs. ‘What a greeting’ he thinks in his laugh. “Just get in here” he adds, making Youngjae nod. He closes the door behind him with the least interest and takes steps towards Daehyun. It’s only then that Daehyun notices something odd – different about Youngjae.

“You got yourself a piercing…” he states, tilting his head – eyeing the small white earring. “You noticed.” Youngjae acknowledges, running his hands on Daehyuns waist. Daehyun smiles, fixing his gaze on the new jewelry. “When?” he asks. “Last Sunday.” Youngjae replies.

“It’s pretty.” Daehyun adds, making Youngjae smile – his cheeks stuffing up. He only hums in respond. The ring on his left ear helix wasn’t just white gold. It was carved, and it had letters in it. “Oh, what does it say?” Daehyun exclaims, realizing that a closer look revealed more details. He places his hands on Youngjaes shoulders and leans in closer. He thinks he can’t read it, written in Arabic, or Hindi – he can’t point out because he doesn’t know.

“Something. Not going to wash me tonight?” Youngjae brushes off the subject, giving Daehyuns a pat. Daehyun widens his eyes and rolls them next, dragging apart and reaching out for the soap. He scoffs, and draws patterns on Youngjaes shoulders with the bubbles, which soon are washed off by the water constantly falling on the two. Then his brown hair comes after his arms. Youngjae takes his own turn, and the t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter