Chapter 14 2/3

30 Minutes With You

The following morning, they both earned suspicious glances from their friends, seeing as they were barely able to stand on their feet. But Tao looked a lot better, despite his exhaustion, so Kris didn't actually mind at all. The morning dragged heavily, and even if they had called the tutoring lessons off, they ended up spending their evening in the library, comfortably leaned against each other. After all, it was there where everything had begun. 

Despite their drowsiness, they still had to go to their respective practices, so Kris shook his boyfriend softly, pecking him on the lips. The boy opened his eyes slowly, only to close them again instantly and nuzzle deeper into his boyfriend's neck, sighing contently. Kris had half a mind to let him sleep and close his eyes himself, but they both had their responsibilities, and he knew the Panda wouldn't like it if he missed the practice. He walked him towards the gym with a hand on his waist, seeing as the boy could barely stand on his feet. Thankfully, they didn't run into anyone who could question them about their contact, and he made a note to make sure the Panda slept well that night. Tao clung onto him when they were about to get into the gym, placing his hands on the elder's hips and resting his head on top of his shoulder. He mumbled something unintelligible and tightened his grip on Kris, letting him go a moment later. Kris' heart did a painful leap when he looked back at his boyfriend, who was smiling slightly as he rubbed his eyes. He looked freaking adorable, hair disheveled and clothes slightly disarranged, and when he finally stumbled towards his team, he didn't miss the sneaky glances his friends shot his way. 

Kris waited for his own practice sitting outside the school, hoping for the fresh air to dissipate his lingering drowsiness. He wasn't one to sleep a lot, but he was definitely used to more than a couple of hours per night. Although he didn't regret it spending the night with his boyfriend. He wanted to believe that he had actually made him feel better, if only a little bit. He wanted to be there for him, to be someone he could rely on. There wasn't a lot he could do to help him with his problems, but at least he had to try.

When he entered the gym, he was pleasantly surprised to find Tao looking not only much more awake, but also way happier than the past couple of days. He was back to his own self, laughing as he attempted to explain a new pose to the clueless first year boys and joking around with his friends. A smile crept up into his own face, and it only widened when he caught the Panda's eyes and said boy smiled brightly at him. 

Seeing him so lively again, Kris ended up deciding that their first monthiversary couldn't go by so uneventfully. All the anxiety, worries and doubts had been worth it, and that deserved a celebration. Tao still needed to sleep, so they settled for sitting around in their coffee shop. Kris smiled at his boyfriend as he took a sip from his drink and hummed slightly, his mood even better than that morning. He could see he was still upset over the fact that his father was with someone else, but he had told him, a little reluctantly, that he was trying to come around it. Around the fact that his parents would never get back together, that they had never actually been good for each other. He had let out a sad chuckle when he told Kris about their fights, about his mother crying and his father leaving the house. They were both better apart, he concluded. Even though it hurt. 

But hearing everything his boyfriend had gone through made Kris think about his own parents. He hadn't seen them in over a year, and their communication had been strictly practical. It was kinda sad that he had more of a relationship with their assistants that with them, but he had gotten used to it. Sort of. He laughed bitterly at himself when he realized that he was actually jealous of his boyfriend. At least he had memories about his parents that didn't involve them being on their cellphones and barely speaking neither to him nor to each other. 

"Are you doing something on Saturday?" He asked the boy as soon as they left the coffee place and headed to his house. Tao looked up at him, eyes bright, and swung their joint hands. 

"Nope. Why?"

"I'm taking you out to dinner. Somewhere fancy," Kris beamed, relishing in the way his boyfriend's cheeks turned a pretty pink. 

"Oh. You don't have to..."

Kris laughed lightly, running his thumb over the back of the Panda's hand, "I want to. I'll borrow a car from Chanyeol." Seeing Tao's quizzical look, he continued, "I only have the bike, and I'm not sure we could go to the restaurant on it. Besides, his father owns a car dealership, and he has more cars than I have clothes. So it's not a big deal."

The boy smiled up at him, "Whatever you say, FanFan."

He dropped him at home with a goodbye kiss and a recommendation of sleeping early that night. Walking back to his own house, he finally let go the worrisome thoughts he had had the past few days. Tao was better, he would eventually get to accept his father was with someone else, and he would always have him if he needed someone to be there for him. They had been together for a month and things were better every day. He had so much to be thankful for it was even overwhelming. 

Besides, the exam results had been posted that morning, and he couldn't have been happier. Not for himself, but for the Panda. He had worked so hard they were both ecstatic when he ended up being the first one of his class in almost every subject. Kris hadn't actually been worried about his own grades, seeing as he usually came out pretty good without really trying. But, just as his boyfriend, he didn't just need to pass. He needed to be the best. Only the top five students could apply for a scholarship at the university he was aiming for, and he really needed it. Well, in fact he really wanted it. His parents could probably pay tuition for him in any university in the world. But that was the thing. He was done depending on them. He couldn't exactly leave his house right now, but he was planning on getting a job as soon as he finished school. And having them paying for his education would be the exact opposite of that. He would be forced to study business administration or something of the sort to get ready to be the perfect business man he needed to be in order to take over his father's company. And honestly he'd rather spend his whole life living on the street that doing that for a living. 

But he wouldn't have to. He'd get that scholarship and get to choose what to do with his life. And when he figured out what it was, he’d make sure it was something that made him feel alive every day. 

Without further commotion, the week ended and summer holidays finally begun.  Excitement buzzed in the air when both teams sat around their table at lunchtime, and Kris smiled inwardly at how much happier everyone seemed now compared to when they were apart. Their relationship had changed, so had the way people saw them. Kris had changed. And all because of the black haired boy sat beside him. 

Baekhyun had reiterated his annual invitation to his "beginning of summer" gathering that evening, and everyone accepted in the blink of an eye. It had been a tradition for as long as they had known each other, an important one, who made them feel close even when the whole "discrimination against the wushu team" had started. Kris had always thought it was highly stupid and inconsiderate, so he hadn't really paid attention to it. Luckily, neither had his closer friends. He wasn't even sure when it had started, but he was glad it was over. People really needed to get a life if they were so worried about who he was friends with. 

The host's house was almost as big as his own, but when Kris arrived most of his friends were in the living room, piled up in front of the huge television. When his Panda arrived, he was happy to see that he was extremely excited, laughing and joking around, and, as usual, eating. They soon set up a Mario Kart tournament, and then spend a good couple of hours swearing and yelling at each other over the stupid game. Chen ended up beating everyone, yet again, so they decided to order food and put on a movie no one really watched. 

When the evening was almost over and Kris found himself sitting beside Chanyeol, he took the chance to ask said boy for a car, beaming thankfully when he was handed a set of keys without further question. Not long after, Sehun got up from where he was sprawled on the floor, stretching a little before announcing that he and Kai were leaving, and offering Tao a ride. His boyfriend accepted, already a little groggily from the lack of sleep, and Kris had to remind himself not to get too jealous. After all, it was only logical that they drove him home, as he lived close by and everything. So he partially faked a smile and waved them goodbye, feeling a bit warmer when Tao shoot a bright smile his way. When he was about to get to his own home a while later, a message startled him. 

From: Panda

See you tomorrow, FanFan. Goodnight. 

Needless to say, he went to bed with the biggest smile ever. 

Saturday came by bright and warm, a perfect day. As usual, he went running and then returned to his house and wandered around. He was unusually antsy, trying on several outfits and fixing his hair repeatedly when the time to get ready for his date arrived. He wasn't even sure why, it wasn't even their first date or anything, but when he made his way to pick up the car at Chanyeol's, his hands shook a little. 

All that nervousness was gone when he parked in front of Tao's house, though. Because as soon as his boyfriend left the house, he got his breath taken away from him. The sight of his Panda in too tight black trousers and fitted white shirt made him swallow hard before turning back towards the steering wheel, face reddening at the thought of maybe canceling the reservation an driving him back to his place to spend the night. But the moment the boy entered the car and he took in his concerned face, the thought was out of his mind. 

"You need to introduce yourself to my mother," he stated, frown never leaving his face, "As my boyfriend, I mean."

Kris choke on air, spluttering a "What?!" when he regained enough control of himself. His boyfriend finally looked at him, chucking slightly at his reaction. 

"She started going on and on about why was I dressed like this and what have I been doing these couple of days and threatening me to keep me home. I don't know what weird ideas she's getting and it's freaking me out," he sighed. 

"Bu-but now?!" he shifted nervously on his seat. Having to see the woman again after that embarrassing day the previous week wasn't exactly on his plans for the night. "We have reservations!" he whined, holding on to the only argument he had left. 

"I already told her you were a guy," Tao mumbled, and it was enough to stop Kris from having a panic attack. 

"Oh. What did she say?"

"Nothing, really," he smiled a bit, "She didn't expect me to be... You know, to like guys. But it was okay, I guess." His cheeks were now a light shade of pink, and he sounded almost relieved. He had told Kris that he was nervous about telling her about them, although he was pretty sure she'd be supportive about it. Kris wasn't so sure about his own parents. "She asked if it was you and I said yes," the boy interrupted his thoughts, making him clutch the steering wheel to keep his hands from shaking again. 

"And?"

"She smiled," he turned to the sound of his amused boyfriend's voice, "She was still surprised, but I guess she liked you. She wants to meet you, though. So come on."

He got out of the car, leaving Kris to scramble out after him. 

"Wait!" he ran towards him, clutching his hand anxiously, "What should I say?"

Tao smiled upon taking in his freaked out expression, squeezing his hand reassuringly, "Just say hi and that you're my boyfriend. Ask to take me out. Don't worry, it's not a big deal."

But it was. A huge one, actually. He gulped as they approached the door, trying to push back the unsettling feeling on his stomach. 

They got into the house, making their way towards the living-room. Kris took a moment to take in his surroundings. After all, he hadn't had much chance to look around the previous time he'd been there. It was a really nice place, wooden floors matching wooden furniture, a chimney to the side and a deep red sofa in front of it, giving the room a sense of coziness. But a quick glance was everything he was able to get, because just in the middle of the room, sat in a huge dinner table, was his boyfriend's mother. 

Kris bowed awkwardly, Tao's hand still in his. He got a small smile sent his way, and the woman politely asked him to sit down. Doing so besides the Panda, he couldn't help to feel that he was in an interrogation room, a bright light about to be pointed out at his face. 

"Kris, right?" he nodded softly, attempting a smile and failing miserably. "I should've known Tao was dating someone. It's not usual for him to go out so much." He felt a little sight leave said boy's mouth, and with a quick side glance he didn't fail to notice his face was red, and he was fiddling with their intertwined hands under the table. Tao's mother scanned over his face, and he did his best to remain impassible under her scrutiny. Then she nodded and chuckled. "You have good taste, honey," she remarked, earning and indignant "Mom!" from his son and making Kris' face feel even warmer. 

"Tell me, Kris," he raised his eyes, meeting her intense gaze. Despite her smile and relaxed exterior, he was completely sure she wasn't someone you'd like to mess with, "How long have you two been going out?"

Well, at least it was an easy one, "A month."

She beamed, eyes still focused on his. "I hope you're being good to my baby," he nodded energetically, and her grin got wider, "So, where're you taking him tonight?" 

"To a restaurant downtown," he had relaxed a bit, although he still felt awkward. He wasn't even sure how he was supposed to address her. 

"You are graduating next year, right?" she changed the subject completely, leaving Kris to nod his head hesitantly, "So you're a whole year older than my Tao. More, actually. Hm, that's interesting." Tao tensed besides him, and once again he was nervous. But it was soon dismissed when she grinned mischievously, "And how are things going?"

"M-mom!" His boyfriend screeched, but she just brushed him off, laughing as she told him to stop being so uptight. 

Kris smiled as his boyfriend made an annoyed noise. He could see where some of the boy's expressions came from, and it made him feel warm despite of his persistent nerves. 

"You are being safe, right?" she stated. Both boys’ faces turned a deep shade of red, and Kris was sure he had actually stopped breathing. Forever. 

"That's it, we're leaving," Tao got up, dragging him out of his chair. He managed a half asserted bow, making both Tao and his mom hide similar smiles. 

"See you later! Have fun sweetie!" the woman said after them, but Tao was quick to get them out of the house and into their car.