Chapter 13 1/2

30 Minutes With You

Finally, the hellish week was over. Tao had never been so relieved when his Friday morning classes ended and the whole group gathered together in the school cafeteria. He sat beside Kris, as usual, being careful not to touch him at all. But it was hard. It had been the main reason that week had . In fact, it had made the previous one pretty unbearable too. He hadn't actually considered the implications of dating Mr. Popularity before doing so, and he wasn't too fond of them. Not that he regretted dating him. He was so happy being around him, that it made it hard to believe that they'd only been together for three weeks.

The only problem were the other students. When Kris had told him about the girl that had approached him, he hadn't given the subject too much thought, just to feel a little proud over the fact that Kris preferred him over all those girls. But his contentment didn't last long. The following morning, as he got into the school, he found his Kris surrounded by students, looking mostly irritated. When he could finally approach the group, he was able to hear what everyone was talking about. And he wasn't exactly pleased about it. His boyfriend was being ambushed with questions about his love life. They had already decided to keep quiet about it. It was none of their business. Locking eyes with Kris, he let him know he'd see him later, hoping everyone had calmed down by lunchtime.

How could he have been so naive? These people were really nosy, they wouldn't let the school's gossip of the century slide that easily. Their friends joked around, seemingly used to all the unwanted attention. But he wasn't. Kris was his. His boyfriend. And he was proud to call him so. Only that he couldn't. In fact, he couldn't even approach him. By the time he reached the library that evening, he had had enough. He snapped at Kris, even though he knew he hadn't done anything to provoke the rumors besides defending their relationship. He demanded him denying all the theories going around. Seriously? Kris dating a supermodel? Come on. But Kris also looked exhausted. They were both barely sleeping because of the upcoming exams, and this entire thing had only made their lives harder. So he felt guilty as soon as his request left his mouth. It didn't make it any better when Kris smiled sweetly at him, promising to do so. He was so freaking perfect. After that draining day, they finally got to kiss, and Tao remembered that he would go through this hell every day if it meant that afterwards he could have his boyfriend to himself. 

That weekend was perfect. As all the weekends were since they were together. They spent most of the day just lazing around in their bench in the park, occasionally making out. He had become addicted to Kris' lips so much that he couldn't go by a day without them. It kind of bothered him. Depending so much in someone else. He had always prided himself with being quite independent, but now he was acting like a lovesick teenager. And he was. He really did love Kris, although his brain told him it was a little bit soon to call it love. His heart didn't agree.  

Monday was another story. First of all, the dreaded exams begun. For three days, he wouldn't be able to do anything else but studying. He was one of the top students of his class, but if he wanted to keep his scholarship, he had to be even better. On the other side, as Kris denied the rumors, they got even worse. They suspected his girlfriend attended their school. Yeah, right. It would have been pretty amusing to see everyone looking for the possible girlfriend, mainly because he was quite sure by now Kris didn't actually like girls, if it hadn't meant they had even less time for themselves than before. 

Not only did they watch their every movement, but they were also quite creative. Kris glanced towards a girl in class while she was talking? His girlfriend. Kris handed a girl something she had dropped? They had been dating for a month. It wasn't as if Tao wanted their relationship uncovered, but it was quite annoying that nobody was even considering him. Was he so freaking ugly he wasn't worth for Your Highness? No, he wasn't. But at least it meant that they were left alone on the library. Where they had to study. Great. 

Besides everything, he was killing himself training for their upcoming wushu competition, which just happened to be the day of his last and most stressing exam. What a great week.

But now it was over. He had passed all his exams with high grades, earning the congratulations of several teachers, his team had won the competition despite his inutility, by now his eye barely looked bruised, and the rumors had lost strength, although they still were there. 

"So, where are we going today?" Chen spoke above their joined table's noise. 

"What?" he asked before taking a bite of his food. After practice, he had planned on spending time with Kris, who he had missed very very much. They'd even called their lesson off, as exams were over and they deserved a rest after all the studying. Besides, they wouldn't have any more important exams coming up, as the two months summer holidays were approaching and nobody, not even the teachers, were interested in school.  Sure, neither of their teams would be completely free for the first month, as they'd still have to go to practices, but it was just an hour and then a whole free month. And he really needed those holidays.    

"Exams are over! A celebration is due," Minseok stated as a matter of fact.  

"Oh oh oh. Let's get pizza!" Baekhyun suggested excitedly. Everyone seemed to agree, and it was decided to get together after the basketball team's practice and go over there.  

So, at a quarter to five most of the wushu team sat on the benches, waiting for their friends to come over. And Tao was really admiring the view. It wasn't the first time he had stayed to wait for his boyfriend's practice to end, but was the first one he was actually allowed to be there. Kris looked so different in the court. He seemed more concentrated than usual, but at the same time less restricted. Happier. And way hotter. And just then Tao realized how much he had missed him, how much he had missed their time alone. Having to be around his friends the whole evening now seemed quite less attractive.  

When the practice finished, the basketball team went to the locker room to get changed, and soon enough the whole group was on its way to the pizza place. 

He moved towards the back of the group, casually strolling alongside his boyfriend, who smiled down at him sheepishly. Not barely ten minutes had passed when they were startled by a high pitched shout. 

"Let's go in there!" Kai bounced as he pointed towards a big establishment with a huge neon sign on top reading "Arcade". Tao hadn't even noticed its presence, although it was understandable, as he had barely been anywhere since he had arrived to the city. But he had never actually been to one of those places before, much less with friends, and it seemed extremely fun.  So, despite his rumbling stomach complaining about the lack of food, he seconded the idea, much to his friend's delight. 

Once inside the huge building, everyone scattered around in groups of two of three. As soon as their friends got out of sight, Kris grabbed his hand, pulling him towards the cashier, where he bought an exaggerated amount of game coins.

Tao didn't remember laughing so much in his entire life. The games were awesome, but the sight itself was quite a show. From silly, luck based games to a really complicated choreography in Step, the group ran around trying every single game the place had to offer. A pretty intense match of Air Football between Chen and Minseok ended up with both boys swearing to beat each other in the racing cars, which led to the most fierce game of Hit the Crocodile Tao had ever seen. Kris and Lay were currently playing their third game of Shoot the Basketball, much to their team's amusement, as Baekhyun and Chanyeol bent over a classic pinball machine. It was safe to say that they were all having a great time. 

But Tao also became extremely tired. Tired of being around his boyfriend and not being able to touch him, to kiss him. He had already been through this whole issue before they got together, but now it seemed plainly unfair. And hard. Specially so when he lifted his eyes from the video game they were playing, ready to complain about the lack of concentration from Kris, only to find staring at him intently. 

"Why aren't you paying attention!?" he scolded halfheartedly. 

The boy smiled, not looking at all remorseful for making him lose the match, "Sorry. Got distracted."

Tao huffed. Of course. "What now?"

"You are right here. You can't just expect me to keep my head in the game."

Tao smiled at the lame wording, until the reality of his words hit him. His throat dried out, and something heavy settled on his stomach. Want. He needed him so much. 

"So cheesy," he turned back towards the arcade, fiddling with the controllers aimlessly. Sneaking a glance back at him, he could see Kris beaming happily. He was so screwed. 

Suddenly everyone remembered their demanding stomachs, so they left the place and made their way towards the pizza place. Needless to say, it was a chaos. The poor waitress seemed about to panic, trying to figure out what the twelve very hyper and very hungry teenagers wanted to eat. They ended up getting a bizarre amount of pizzas, even considering they were quite a big group. But they were all gone as soon as they arrived, leaving the staff literally gaping at them. Kris sat beside him, pouting slightly after losing against Chanyeol on the last round of a silly game they were too old to be playing. 

"Don't worry, FanFan," Kris had mentioned the nickname his baby cousin had given him, and he wouldn't let it slide away, "It's just a game." 

"Don't call me like that," his pout deepened, and now he looked straight up adorable. "And I'm way over it."

Tao chucked, "Yeah, I can see that," he leaned closer, seeing as nobody was actually paying any attention to them, "And I still like you best. Even if you're a sour loser."

Kris gave him a judging look. Well, maybe he wasn't exactly one to talk. He was just as bad as him. So, he looked at where Kris' hands rested on his tights, tense despite the cheerful atmosphere. Careful to keep his face as straight as possible, despite the huge grin threatening to get out, he sneaked a hand under the table and grabbed Kris', tracing soothing circles on the back. He relished in the way the boy tensed up at first, but relaxed completely instantly. 

"I'm pretty sure he was cheating. You would have totally won." Not in a million years. But the white lie was worth it when a small smile tugged on the corner of his boyfriend’s lips. Those lips he wanted so much. The ones he had missed the past week. Desperately fast brushes between them hadn't been enough. At all. But their friends were around, and despite they having agreed on keeping quiet about their relationship, it was hard at moments like this. So he forced himself to tear his eyes away from them, earning a quizzing look from the other boy. 

But despite everything, Tao was happy. He was with his friends, laughing and joking around, Kris' fingers laced with his under the table, warm and reassuring. He couldn't ask for anything else. Well, maybe for dessert. 

After a couple of hours lazing around, they decided to call the evening off. As they left the pizza place, Tao was surprised to find the sky completely darkened. His mother would probably freak out if he wasn't home soon. 

Suspiciously, his friends rushed their goodbyes, shooting him knowing looks. What the hell? Only Kris was left, and they made the way towards the bus stop in a comfortable silence. Tao felt a bit awkward around him. After that whole week barely having time for themselves, he missed his boyfriend so much it freaked him out. They had been going out for what, three weeks? And Tao had already become so addicted to him he couldn't tolerate a couple of days without contact. 

"I should've brought my motorbike," Kris whined a couple of blocks away from the stop, making him tilt his head to gape at his boyfriend. 

"You have a bike!?" he shrieked excitedly. 

"Yep. She's my baby."

Tao laughed lightly. It was amazing how every time he opened his mouth he became more and more endearing. More lovable. 

"I should ride with you sometime," he said lightly. 

"Someday. You'd be the first one to. Besides me, of course."

His eyes widened slightly, "Really? Nobody has?"

"Hell no! Nobody is allowed to even touch it. Not even Lay has," he shrieked, sounding slightly offended at the implications of someone else sitting on his baby.

"And you'll let me?" Tao smiled widely. 

"Not sure yet."

He stopped, turning around fully and staring at Kris with his mouth open. "What!? You won't let me!?" he screeched offendedly. 

"Maybe not." 

"Why the hell not!?"

"Well, you could scratch it or something. I don't know." Kris shrugged, as if it was the most usual thing on earth. 

"I wouldn't!" he took off towards the stop, cussing his idiot boyfriend under his breath. How dared him doubt him? 

After a short moment, Kris' quick footsteps ran after him, grabbing his arm as he reached him, frowning. 

"Wait. Are you mad at me?"

An idiot indeed. 

"No, I'm not," he yanked his arm from his grip. "Shut up!"

"I told you maybe!"

"No! You said 'maybe not'!"

Kris suppressed a smile before chuckling, "Same thing."

Tao's frown deepened as he resumed his angry walk, hearing Kris' soft laughter behind him. 

"You know that if you keep making that face I'll want to bother you every day, don't you?" he heard the boy shout. 

Stopping on his tracks, he dropped his head on his hands. God, how could he find such a cheesy comment so freaking endearing? Maybe he was the idiot in the relationship. He hated how easily Kris could tick him off, how easily he fell for these traps he had been dealing with since the day they met. He hated loving so much that his boyfriend thought he was cute. He hated being so freaking whipped. 

Kris finally reached him, sneaking a hand around his waist, making him thankful that the street was completely empty. 

"God, Tao. You are so cute."

The words tingled at his nape, dragging an involuntary shiver from his body. His resolve threatened to crumble, but he stood still and ignored the heat at the pit of his stomach. Scowling, he tried to pride himself off the boy's grip. His protest died on his throat when Kris turned him around, facing him, incredibly close. 

"What are you doing?" he let out, trying to control his erratic breathing, "Someone could see us." 

Kris's lips were so close, calling him, and he felt an impossible pull towards them. Need. Completely, pure want. 

 Kris brought him even closer, until he was flushed against his chest, "Don't worry about it."

The boy sounded as desperate as he felt, and without being able to stop himself, he sneaked a hand behind Kris' head, joining their lips together, hard and fast. He hated how weak he was about Kris. How his anger vanished completely as soon as their lips brushed. How he didn't hate him at all. He felt his boyfriend smile against his lips. And he lost it. 

Tao knew they couldn't. It wasn't the right time for this. His mother was waiting for him. Most of all, the middle of a bus stop wasn't quite an appropriate place. But he needed him so much he felt it in his bones. Kris lips. Soft and warm. Close. Finally. So he dragged himself away harshly, earning an annoyed grunt, but before Kris could protest further, he grabbed his sleeve, pulling him towards a half hidden alley they had passed on their way towards the stop. 

As soon as Kris realized what his intentions were, he got pushed against the wall, lips on his once again. But not at all like before. They were harsh, demanding. A completely new feel to it compared to the sort of chaste kisses they'd shared up until then. And it made Tao crazy. He locked his hands on Kris' blonde hair, tugging him closer, completely aware of the other boy's hands running along his spine. A sharp pain on his lower lip made him gasp into the kiss, allowing Kris to sneak his tongue inside of his mouth, not without his swollen lip apologetically. Tao stilled, feeling the foraging sensation, pondering it. It was so new, so weird, the feeling of his boyfriend's tongue brushing against his, touching everything on its way. And then it was gone. 

"What are you doing?" Kris breathed against his lips, pulling away slightly. 

Tao took a minute to process the question. He was still pretty shocked, and his skin felt hot all over, "W-what?"

"You are supposed to kiss me back! Not withdraw!" he whined, and in other circumstances, Tao would've laughed at him. But now, he only blushed even harder, looking for the less embarrassing explanation for his lack of reaction. 

"I... Kind of..." he swallowed, "Don't know how?"

A smirk tugged on the corner of Kris' lips as he returned to his previous position, "Just relax and do as I do. You know. With your tongue."

Tao managed half a nod before they were kissing again. Slowly, he flicked his tongue with Kris', earning a low moan from the back of his boyfriends' throat. Experimentally, he brushed it against the roof of his mouth, almost smiling when the hands on his back fell limp. But a second later they were back at it, and Tao lost the ability to think any longer. His body acted on instinct, the kiss growing incredibly deeper and wet. And hot. So hot. The feeling of Kris' hands caressing the soft skin of his waist at the same time their tongues danced together would make him burst into flames every second now. When said hands begun to trail lower, he was sure his end had come. 

But then he realized they were still in that dirty alley, barely a few feet away from the street. That he needed to go home as soon as possible. And he freaked out. How far did Kris want to go? Hell, Tao wasn't even sure of how far he himself wanted to go. The pressure against his backside made him moan into Kris mouth, and he knew that he had to end it before it was too late to stop himself. Pushing slightly, he untangled himself from the kiss. 

His boyfriend blinked dazedly a couple of times, before setting his eyes on him and frowning, "What's wrong, Panda? Are you okay?"

Panting, he searched for an answer. Was he okay? How could he explain he was freaking scared and painfully and that he couldn't deal with all of that right there right then? A cellphone beep saved him from stuttering any longer, and Kris took it out, groaning as he saw the message. 

"What?"

"Chanyeol," he passed him the phone, where a photo of that afternoon's game board showed Kris' embarrassing defeat. His own cellphone rang a second later, displaying the same photo on a group message. Apparently, Chanyeol wouldn't let Kris get over it so easily.  

A second message startled him as he was putting his phone away. His mother was already home and freaking out at his absence. Great. 

He cursed loudly before making his way out of the alley. His mom would kill him. Kris followed him closely. 

"I have to go home, Kris," he avoided his boyfriend's eyes, coming to a stop when he saw the bus approaching. 

"I'll walk you home."

"No! Don't worry. Your house is to the other side, you'd have to do twice the trip," he got into the bus, "But thanks. Talk to you later, okay?"

Kris smiled at him as he nodded and waved goodbye. 

The truth was that he didn't trust himself to spend fifteen minutes sat beside his boyfriend on a bus filled with people. His skin still tingled where they'd touched, and his swollen lips already ached from the loss of contact. 

He hated it. Both his heart and his body wanted more. More contact, more kisses, more Kris. But his brain had another idea. Sleepless later that night, he went through the whole thing again. Anxiety settled on his stomach, making him turn around uneasily. He was afraid. Freaking terrified. Of what, he wasn't sure. That evening's kiss had been the best thing to ever happen to him, but it had stirred doubts he had tried to ignore up until then. This whole being in a relationship thing was new to him. He wasn't sure if he was even supposed to like Kris so much so soon. He wasn't sure if it was normal to want so much, to need Kris with every fiber of his body. He wasn't sure if he was making things right. So, he had panicked. And now he missed Kris. His boyfriend. Their messages that evening had felt forced and weird, leaving Tao with an empty feeling. And he didn't like it at all. His swollen lips were only a reminder of what he missed so much, what he wanted to have forever. He groaned as he sat up, sleep finally forgotten. He sounded like a freaking girl, stupidly in love with her boyfriend. But he did love him a whole lot. And he knew just enough about relationships to know that trust and communication were the key. Finally those stupid shows his mother liked to watch made some sort of sense. Lying back down, he willed himself to sleep.