i.

Between the Lines you Will Find Nothing but Blank Spaces

"Between the lines you will find nothing but blank spaces." 

   I looked at my paper, wondering what should I write. I was holding on to my pen for a while now and yet it still hadn't touched the surface of the paper. I looked at my test paper again, it was only one sheet of paper, nothing much was written just the instructions. It simply said, write about anything you find peculiar about this test. I have to turn in this paper by the end of the period or else I'll meet my demise. It didn't say that I needed to fill this paper with complicated words to impress my professor, nor the number of words I needed to comeup with. I just needed to gather my thoughts, compose decent sentences and safely return to my seat after I submit my paper, simple as that. But now, I am starting to feel my temples throb,such a simple task can become complicated. I looked around and saw that I may not be the only in the same dilemma.  The bell rang, yet not even a single drop of ink was on my paper. I immediately summed up my thoughts, and the only thing that I could come up with was. 

"Between the lines you will find nothing but blank spaces."

 I screwed up my chances on getting to medschool. When suddenly I heard her voice from behind me. 

"I like how you think."

She might have glanced on my paper by accident while I was holding on to it before giving it to the professor, after all she was just behind me. 

"It's true, between the lines, you fill find nothing but blank spaces.But I think they still wanted you to fill those spaces with words. A little justification would have been nice."

Eversince that day, somehow, those blank spaces have disappeared one by one. 

Suzy and I became classmates the next term. I was scolded by our professor and had me do my paper again, this time, he gave me a different topic. Something less psychological, he told me that I have the tendency to overanalyze things.

My professor told me to write about an unexpected happening that changed my point-of-view in life. 

     

 I met Suzy even before classes began. Someone added me in an online community of upcoming freshmen and I first met her there. I didn't approach anyone on that communitty but monitored its activity so that I could know my co-majors names. Getting along with others was not an issue for me, but the thought of entering university made me anxious that I was worried I couldn't make any friends. She introduced herself and that is when I knew we would be in the same class. Soon after another online community was founded but now, it was specifically for us under the same major. First day of classes, I tried to recall every name of those whom I met on the community, but somehow I forgot hers.

    Seeing her for the first time was nothing special, nothing about her was unusual. Both of us wore glasses. She too had already made friends through the community site and so she had her group of friends immediately. She wasn't hard to get along with, on the first week I didn't get the chance to talk to her though. I was immediately stereotyped by the class as the gadget-gamer-nerd. I had no qualms about that, and I thought that they seem to see me as a cool person because of that. Suzy was heavily engrossed with romatic novels, movies, dramas and such that she became the go-to person when it come to giving novel and movie suggestions. I guess we were both on different ends of the spectrum, none of our interests meet and the only thing that we have in common are the things that we study in class. 

  It all changed during the annual welcome-walk for freshmen, somehow we managed to seat beside each other during the program and somebody asked if they could take a picture of us together. I remember how exhausting the ordeal was, and I myself was having a hard time. I offered her my handkerchief, I was saving it for later but I knew she needed it more that I do. 

  A few days later, on my way back to the dorm, I saw her waiting near my locker. She approached me and asked for a favor. She wanted my consent to use the photograph that was taken during the walk as her display picture in her personal homepage. Apparently, she was having troubles with her former relationship. She wanted quickly end the problem and the her way was to use that photograph to trick his former boyfriend into thinking that she has moved on from him. She apologized for trying to involve me into their problem. But if its the only thing that could help her, I agreed. For three days she used that photo and so did I. Our classmates certainly misunderstood but we clearly explained to them the situation. After that, Suzy and I were in talking terms, soon, we became friends. 

 If Suzy and I hadn't become friends, maybe things would have been a little different for us.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________