Episode 2 - The right jokes for the right timing

It's we who own the life

Episode Two

 

 

“Yoonaaaa.., Babe~.”

Yoona opened her eyes reflexively upon hearing her name being called by her husband. She yawned as she stretched his body lazily to wake up her limbs while feeling slightly annoyed because she was just about to fall asleep and now her effort to spend the day by lying on the bed and sleeping all day had to vanish because of that one call from LuHan. It’s Sunday and it’s the time when she didn’t have to wake up so early and hurriedly go to work; so, she thought that it’s indifferent if she wanted to take some beauty sleep the whole day. But that thought soon had to be buried deep on the ground as she realized that she’s married now. One more thing that had to be crossed out from her ‘to-do-list-on-Sunday’; a list that she usually did when she was still a single woman.

Before she could get off from the bed, LuHan already stood by their room door. “Hey, sleeping beauty over there. Until when you want to be a lazy bum like that, huh?” He said as he gave her a teasing look, leaning back his body against the door sill while crossing his arms.

“ –my mom already called me, asking what time are we going to get there.”

She got up from her lying position impulsively with her eyes wide open, looking at him as soon as she heard his words. “What?” She asked with a high tone, completely taken aback.

“We have promised that we will visit them this weekend. Do you forget about that? Try checking out your notes, Babe.”

She hurriedly took her notes that placed on the table right beside their bed and flipped through its pages. She tapped her forehead as she found ‘March 15, going to LuHan’s parent’s house’ written on it. She looked at him and smiled sheepishly. “I am sorry.”

He just gave her an understanding-smile and was ready to turn his body to get out of their room when he heard she was calling his name. “Hmm, LuHan. Can we cancel it? How about we visit them next weekend?”

“Unfortunately, no, Yoona. This is the nth time you ask me to cancel our visit. And you will say the same thing the next weekend.”

She let out a deep sigh. “Please, pretty please.” She begged persistently. But deep inside her mind, she knew that this was a futile attempt because LuHan wouldn’t change his mind.

“Don’t take your time too long, Honey. They’re waiting.”

#

 

Okay, now here she was; sitting uncomfortably in the car while fidgeting her fingers. Truth to be told, Im Yoona was forever afraid of LuHan’s uptight mother. Although she had met her repeatedly, she couldn't throw away the feeling that his mom still couldn't accept her as her daughter-in-law, yet. Whether it's just her fear or it's actually the truth, she didn't know. She didn't dare to ask and she would never ever ask her mother-in-law about this matter. She absolutely wouldn't do that kind of thing.

LuHan knew that she was afraid of his mother. But, he never told her anything about his  mom's viewpoint about her. One thing that he could assure her was his father liked her a lot. It's not really comforting though, because his mother was the one that ruled this household-thingy; the thing that she would be related to.

"Yoon, can you sit still and stop fidgeting your fingers?" He asked as he glanced at her. She stopped her action like he asked her to, but then she unknowingly did that again, still couldn't get rid of her anxiousness. LuHan noticed it and decided to grab her hands to stop her from doing that kind of thing once again, trying to calm her down.

But, her finger under his grip still moved unstoppably. "Oh come on, Yoona. Are you still that afraid of my mother?" He asked her, slightly mocking her.

She knew that he slightly mocked her for being a coward right now. But, she just shrugged it off; her fear successfully tone down her emotion to mock him back. "Yes, I am. LuHan, I am afraid. Is it wrong if I am afraid?" She asked innocently.

He tightened his grip on her as he said, "No, Honey. But, it's been our nth time visiting them and you're still afraid of her. There's nothing to be afraid of to be honest."

She shot a gaze at him. "Oh yeah? How about that rhetorical question that she always throws at me every time we meet her?"

"Hahhaha." He suddenly laughed wholeheartedly as he let go his grip from her hand, but soon turned to an awkward laugh as he watched her frown while folding her arms. "- Ha.. Ha.. Ha."

He gulped down his saliva as he sensed an already-tensed-up Yoona sitting beside him. "Yoon, do you know that I am also afraid of my father, right? Isn't that a lose-lose situation for both of us? Besides, my mom isn't as scary as you think she is. Okay, maybe she can be so uptight sometimes, like testing you to cook her favorite food, asking you to accompany her to meet up with her colleagues, telling you to cut off your online-shopping habit, and some.."

"LuHan!" She screamed out his name, cutting off his inconsequent talks. "-If you try to calm me down by stating the truth right in front of my face like you did just now, just stop it already. It won't help at all."

He jerked up upon hearing her scream out his name. Actually, he tried to loosen up the tension by joking around like that, but sadly he only got her deadly-glare as a reward. He picked the wrong timing.

"Okay, I'll stop my non-sense talks. And I am sorry, Yoona. I just want to comfort you." He said softly.

She didn't say anything, so he just let her cool down her annoyance. He was feeling guilty because his weird-way of comforting her was the reason behind her silent-mode right now.

Then after some time, he decided to make up his mistakes and tried to comfort her once again. "Hey, Babe. Let's hear some of your favorite songs, shall we?" He blurted out an idea while placing his hand at the media player, ready to play her favorite song.

She tilted her head to look at him, slightly amazed of his capability to blurt out an idea so casually at a time like this; a time when her annoyance reached the red bar.

"Let's sing. I'll become your backing vocal. I promise that I won't ruin your singing, Baby."

And then he started to wave his hand left and right while giving her a persuading-look; a code for her to follow his action. A well-known melody started going through her ear, irking her to start singing right away. She curved a sheepish smile as she looked at him. On the other hand, he had been already into the song, humming its melody. So then she clenched her right palm, transforming it into an imaginary-microphone and started to sing.

"Three, two, one, together." He counted as he made a three-two-one gesture with his fingers, screaming the word 'together' out loud.

"I don't want to run away but I can't take it, I don't understand."

"Ooh.." He added an awful ad-lib.

She resisted the urge to laugh upon hearing his ad-libs and continued her singing. "If I'm not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am?"

"Oouwoo woo." He exaggerated his ad-libs this time.

"-Come on. Make some noise."

Yoona couldn't hold up her laughter anymore and end up burst out laughing. "LuHan." she called his name in between her laughter whilst pushing his shoulder playfully.

"Why why why?" He asked her innocently, pretending not to understand the situation.

"You're so funny, you and your ad-libs." 

And she couldn't stop laughing for the next two minutes as she watched him sing with such a serious face, singing like a proffesional singer. She roared with laughter while realizing the fact that he was far from the word 'proffesional', adding the fact that he didn't have a talent at all in this field, but singing persistently until the song ended. Nonetheless, she appreciated his effort.

#

 

LuHan could understand now that he had to pick the right jokes for the right timing on comforting Yoona from her anger and annoyance. He realized that not all of his jokes could be accepted nicely by her, it had to be adjusted to these three things; time, place, occasion. Lesson learned. 

 

***

Author's note : So, this is the episode two. How's it? Is it too short? Please leave your thought; I am curious to know your comment. You can give me anything: opinion, suggestion, critism, anything. I really appreciate it. By the way, thank you so much for reading and subscribing this story. Thank you :D