5

Every After Dawn

 

 

 


 

Days passed rather fast for both Kyungsoo and Jongin as they had been counting their days being "together".

Jongin never fails to make Kyungsoo feel like as if the world revolved around the two of them alone, and it was somehow a good feeling for the shorter.

Everyday they would wake up at the same time, eat at the same time, and watch the breaking of the dawn at the same time, hands intertwined with each other and heads slightly bumping with each other as they try to control the drowsiness that was taking over their old bodies.

Jonging would watch the sunset with Kyungsoo inside their room, his wrinkly hand on top of Kyungsoo's and their cane sitting just beside their chairs.

The institution knew about the two of them, and they were thankful enough that no one minded. In fact, Jongin's 'proposal' geared up many that followed them, and everyday they get to witness their fellow ones proclaiming love to one another.

It was a good feeling indeed, being old and in love.

'May I ask for the attention of all of our good folks here,' Jongin called as Kyungsoo snapped his head at him.

Everyone seemed to stop talking as they turned their attention to Jongin who was now standing up rather proudly, his fedora hat near his chest as he spoke, 'I would like to announce to everyone that this man here,' he points to Kyungsoo who was staring at him with wide eyes, his white chocolate chip cookie hanging from his mouth, before continuing, 'is the funniest,' he stops as his hoarse voice cracks, 'the most amazing man that I've ever met.'

Kyungsoo begins to tear up because damn being old and over-sensitive.

'And I would like to ask for his hand to be, forgive me for the term, my old folks, my boyfriend.'

Every single one of them broke into warm cheers as Kyungsoo stood up rather wobbly and wrapped his frail arms around Jongin's neck.

Maria and Grace watched the two of with tears in their eyes as they elbowed each other, 'told you they loved each other.'

Kyungsoo had immediately said, 'yes of course you punk! Of course, Jongin!'

The whole cafeteria sounded of warm laughter and soft claps and the two of them shared their first embrace as a couple.

Of course some would think that their relationship is quite odd, but they honestly did not seem to care. They had their remaining days together and they couldn't care less about what other people would think. As long as they were there for each other, every single day was worth waking up to.

 


 

'Kyung, are you awake?' Jongin asks from Kyungsoo's back as his hand gently rubs Kyungsoo's skin. They had requested to put their beds side by side as Kyungsoo often complained about 'being so cold at night he could pee himself' to which Maria and Grace happily helped them with. Now the two of them slept beside each other every night, and waking up cuddled automatically.

'Hm,' Kyungsoo hummed, clearly still not in the mood to talk. Their wall clock did read 6 am so that meant Jongin was up pretty early. The said man shuffled closer and hugged the shorter one even more tightly, 'are you still cold?'

'Hm.'

'Good morning, Kyung,' Jongin says as he tilts his head up to give Kyungsoo's cheek a soft peck.

It earned him a small kick to the shin, though, and it made him chuckled in amusement.

After lying there for almost another hald hour, Jongin begins to feel Kyungsoo squirming every now and then.

'Kyungsoo, are you alright, dear?'

'I'm fine,' Kyungsoo croaks, 'I'm just a little cold.'

Jongin immediately reaches up to touch Kyungsoo's forehead only to withdraw it, 'you're burning up, Kyungsoo. You have a fever.' Jongin retreats his hand away from Kyungsoo as he slowly but surely sat up to put on his slippers. 'I'll go and call Maria, okay?'

Kyungsoo doesn't respond, and it was nearly enough to make Jongin worry to death. He quickly makes his way out the room.

 


 

'Mr. Kim, it's not yet time for breakfast. Why are you up early? Is everything alright?' Maria asks as she rubs her eyes because Jongin had knocke on their door as soon as he'd made his way out of theirs.

'Everything's fine, dear, I just need you to check on Kyungsoo. He's having a fever and I think we might need more blankets,' Jongin says as he tries to keep the worry from his voice. Maria looks at him with equal worry as she nodded frantically, 'I'll be right there, Mr. Kim.'

Jongin nods and makes his way back to their wing again, which was roughly consisting of a five-minute walk and two sets of stair that he needed to climb. He was kind of huffing and puffing and cursing under his breath because damn it I wasn't a pansy when I was in my teenage years damn being old.

The moment he'd stepped inside their room, he finds Maria already dressed in her caretaker uniform, and already checking up on Kyungsoo. Jongin fights the urge to groan because the lady beat him first.

'Is he alright, dear?' Jongin asks as he sits himself beside Kyungsoo, who was shaking a little. Maria frowns at the sight but smiles weakly afterwards, 'he has a high fever, Mr. Kim, but I assure you he'll recover soon.'

Jongin appreciates Maria's attempt to make him feel better and smiles warmly, 'thank you, dear, I'll take it from here.'

Maria bows before heading out. Jongin says, 'would you mind just bringing his food here?' Maria smiles at him kindly, 'no I don't, Mr. Kim. I'll ask Grace to bring yours in too, would that be okay?'

'That would be lovely, Maria. Thank you.'

 


 

The two of them had spent the whole day inside their room, and it was kind of a sad thing for their "friends". Some of their folks would check on them once in a while, ask if they were okay, and talk to them and thank them for being such good friends and examples.

Jongin couldn't help but smile because it seemed like they would die soon and that their folks were already saying good bye. Oh, old people indeed.

By dawn, Kyungsoo finally wakes up which came as the biggest relief Jongin had felt.

'Hey,' Jongin immediately reaches out for Kyungsoo's hand as the shorter smiles at him, 'hello.'

'How are you?'

'I'm alright, Jongin. I'm not going to die or anything.'

'They think you are,' Jongin chuckles because Kyungsoo looks so squishy with puffy eyes and all.

Kyungsoo makes an attempt to sit up only to be lightly pushed back down by Jongin.

'No, Kyungsoo. You still need to rest. We're not young anymore, we take more time to recover.' Kyungsoo sighs because it was true, they weren't getting any younger and he could feel his back ache from being bed ridden all day as oppose to when he was young and all he wanted to do was to bury himself under his bed sheets and sleep for the rest of his life.

'Do you want to eat?' Jongin asks, already on his way to grab the bowl of soup Maria had brought in just minutes ago. Kyungsoo follows his eyes on Jongin and smiles, 'I'm okay, Jongin. It's actually you I'm worried about. You probably didn't rest, did you?'

Jongin halts for a moment to rub the back of his neck shyly, 'well, that's not at all true..'

'You go eat that. I'm still full. Come, sit here,' Kyungsoo gently pats the side of the bed and Jongin obeys, carrying the small bowl of soup.

'Come here, I'll feed you,' Kyungsoo chuckles and grabs the spoon with his small hand. Jongin looks at him wearily as if his hand was going to break.

'You've done enough for today, Jongin. I'm feeling much better. Thank you.'

The words makes Jongin smile because.. well, he doesn't know why either.

'I'm glad you're okay, Kyung.'

Kyungsoo gently tugs on Jongin head as he plants a kiss on his cheek, automatically painting it with a faint red. Jongin stays still for a moment, eyes wide as a deer's as he looks back at Kyungsoo.

'I'm really happy you're with me, Jongin. Thank you.' Jongin grins widely, 'you're welcome, Kyung. I love you.'

Kyungsoo smiles, his eyes turning into little crescents when he did, 'I love you too.'

In the end, they take turns feeding each other and laughing while talking about how their friends visited them earlier that day. They were completely unaware though, of the two people who were their hardcore fans were watching them from the outside of their room, silently squealing like fangirls, 'aww! How sweet!'

 


Hope you liked the update although it's late :(

Stay tuned, yes? ♥