3

Every After Dawn

 

 


 

'Please, eat your food, Mr. Do,' the caretaker asked once again, in attempt to feed the overly-quiet elder. Kyungsoo hadn't spoke to anyone since this morning and it was quite a sad sight for the caretakers.

One and a half months in the institution, yet Kyungsoo doesn't open up to the others. With the exception of Jongin.

That is why it should be expected that the elder doesn't talk unless the said Jongin was on sight.

It should  be a normal thing, right? People turn much more sensitive when growing older. Whether it's because of the fact that elders have experienced a lot more than teenagers; or maybe because they've gone though more ups and downs than teenagers. But whatever the reason is, Kyungsoo sure makes it impossible for others to understand.

Only Jongin understands him. And now that said Jongin wasn't anywhere near him, he chooses to distance himself from the world instead.

The caretakers pout, maybe he's having another attack. Kyungsoo's eyes are dull -- like he hadn't seen the sun shine through his windows and he hadn't heard the birds chirping, waking him to a rather good morning.

No, he doesn't appreciate the concern from the other people who care for him, and no,  he doesn't reciprocate any care as of the moment. Blame it on his disorder, but he knows himself better than anyone else.

And he knows he's upset at the moment, having not to see his mate, the only person who could possibly cheer him up. Still refusing to eat, he ends up staring at the faces of his caretakers, of whom looks at him with worry. He's being stubborn and he knows it, but he couldn't help it. He just didn't have any appetite to eat as his friend wasn't there to accompany him.

'Mr. Do, please, you have to eat for you to take your medications,' the caretaker pleaded once more, her patience running shorter and shorter with every bored gaze Kyungsoo returns them.

'Please listen to-'

'Hey there, what is going on here, ladies?' a low voice asked from behind. They immediately turned to their backs, smiling a little in the process as they see the one person they were hoping to see.

The sun-kissed man had his hands inside his oversized cardigan, with a fedora hat on top of his head and a crane within his grasp. He obviously was from the outside, judging by his attire. He looked like a typical, healthy elder, with glasses framing his crinkly eyes and a small, weak smile playing on his lips. That smile looked so amused -- and it looked like it was meant for something special. That's when they realized the Jongin's eyes were set of the bored, wide eyes of Kyungsoo. Someone special.

'Hey there, Kyung, why are you being hard-headed again?' Jongin asked as he chuckled, his laughter radiating a very friendly vibe as it was meant to assure the caretakers that I've got it, you may take your leave. They did, as if they were now more confident than ever that Jongin could persuade the shorter to eat his meal.

The caretakers left with a small, appreciative smile of their faces as they giggled to one another, pleased to witness another "adorable" moment to unfold as Jongin sits carefully beside Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo attempts to glare, but his eyes were weak to furrow his brows together.

Jongin smiles at the "cute" attempt as he tugs on Kyungsoo's lips with his wrinkly finger.

'Don't do that face, Kyungsoo, I've only been out for a while,' Jongin says calmly, although he was highly amused as he had, once again, left Kyungsoo with an adorable pout.

'You left me again without saying,' Kyungsoo sniffs. Both of them unsure if he was about to cry or not.

Damn being old, Kyungsoo hisses internally, irritated on how he could easily feel annoyed about such a useless matter.

'Hey, hey, I'm sorry, Kyung,' Jongin says affectionately as he rubs the back of his old friend, 'I didn't mean to, and I promise I wouldn't do it again.'

Kyungsoo looks at him with wide, misty eyes, 'you wouldn't want a repeat of what happened last time, Jongin,' he warns. Jongin chuckles, of course he wouldn't.

 


 

The last time Jongin left Kyungsoo without permission caused the shorter to have a semi-attack, claiming that he was left alone by all people, being old and lonely, I hate you Kim Jongin you promised you wouldn't leave be behind. He threw things out the window too, if that was to alleviate his "stress" and his "loneliness" for having such a liar of a friend.

 


 

'Of course not, Kyungsoo,' Jongin rubs his eyes of imaginary tears of laughter as he looks at Kyungsoo with adoration. Kyungsoo doesn't notice, though, as he was busy reliving that not-so-long-ago moment as well. He snaps out of his dazed mind and asks, (a little calmer now), 'where have you been, Jongin?'

Jongin smiles, (he realizes he has been smiling quite a lot for the past days), 'I went out to buy something just from the store nearby. Grace accompanied me,' Jongin says, referring to the caretaker assigned to him.

'What did you buy there?' Kyungsoo asks while he slowly reaches for his fork and slowly pokes his fish fillet. Jongin smiles at the action, finally. Eat, you stubborn old man.

'Just something. Nothing important,' Jongin says as he watches the shorter chew slowly on his food. He breaks into a loving smile.

'You left me here for nothing,' Kyungsoo scoffs while chewing, (semi) glaring at his best friend. Jongin scoffs internally, of course not, you dummy.

'Fine, if you insist,' Jongin reaches out to his small, worn out bag and takes out a small plastic bag. Kyungsoo eyes him while chewing, fork still hanging, ready to poke on another fish fillet.

'I was supposed to give this to you later after you've finished your food, but seeing that-'

'Cookies!' Kyungsoo exclaims, his small, wrinkly hands reaching out for the white plastic bag as if he was a child. He does not fail to gain attention, but he doesn't mind. The caretakers smile at them from afar, there they are again.

Jongin hands him the bag, with a smile as he sees Kyungsoo's eyes widen in a flash. Those soft, chewy, white-chocolate cookies surely made Kyungsoo's day all the time. All the time.

'Slow down, tiger,' Jongin warns as Kyungsoo stuffs two pieces of the chewy treat inside his mouth -- fish fillet long forgotten. He beams at his friend, 'thank you, Jongin.' Jongin returns the smile, 'no problem, Kyung.'

And just like that, Jongin managed to make Kyungsoo eat (quite a lot) and the caretakers managed to give him his medication.

Cookies, thank you, Jongin sighs as he watches Kyungsoo's back making its way towards their room, one very tiring and amusing dawn.

 


So.. yeah? :)

Stay tuned, yes? ♥

Please do give this story a chance. I know it's running slow, but I will make it up to you, readers! T^T I really like this story and I like writing it so even if some of you won't like it, I'll still finish it ^^

Thank you!~