Session Six

The Heartbreak Sessions

 [REC ►]

“We dated for the next three years. It was good. I was content. I was happy. He loved me. I felt it. And I loved him back. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it, but I felt like there was something missing. I don’t think he ever forgot about her. I don’t even know why I have nothing to say now…”

It was Sehun and Hayoung’s second anniversary of being a couple and Sehun had planned a ‘walking date’ to celebrate. At nine in the morning, he had shown up at her apartment and then told her that he was going to take her out. Hayoung quickly got dressed and then followed Sehun to where he was taking her. They took a bus to Myungdong, and then when they had gotten on the street in front, Sehun stopped.

“We’re here!”

“We’re in Myungdong…”

“Yep.”

“So, what are we doing here?”

“To celebrate our anniversary, I thought that we could wander around here. You lead, and I’ll follow. If you want anything, tell me and I’ll buy it for you. I’m sorry. I couldn’t buy a present beforehand…”

“You didn’t have to do this…I thought you were busy?”

“Of course, I have to cancel work! I can’t neglect my girlfriend on our special day!”

“Ahrasso…let’s go in there?”

Hayoung pointed to a makeup store. She looked at Sehun but he looked quite uncomfortable and hesitated before he went into the store. Hayoung quickly browsed through the products as she sensed that Sehun was agitated. When she tried to ask his opinion on the scent on some of the hand creams he said that they all smelled nice even before Hayoung had the chance to bring the tester close to his nose. When she grabbed his hand, he seemed to be jogged back into reality, and calmed down. He even pointed out that he wanted to share hand cream with Hayoung.

Hayoung and Sehun went to the cashier to pay for the goods but there was a small line and Hayoung was getting hungry so Sehun went outside to buy some street food ready for when Hayoung came out. While holding the products in her hands, Hayoung’s eyes began to wander in boredom and she came across the photo and message wall. Something had caught her eye, but it was her turn to pay.

“Ma’am, you can go closer to the wall to have a look while I scan these items.”

“Ne.”

She went over to the photo that had sparked her interest and realised why Sehun was hesitant to walk in. It was a photo of Sehun with his arm around Hyerin who was holding a few beauty products. The caption read, ‘We look good together. Let’s look good together forever…’

Hayoung went back to the counter and paid for the items.

“Excuse me, Ma’am, was that your boyfriend earlier?”

“Ne.”

“Since you bought many things, would you like us to take a polaroid of you both? We take three shots. Two for you and then one to hang up on the wall…”

“No, thank you.”

Hayoung bowed and then exited the store, slightly peeved, but not enough to ruin her day, as she saw Sehun waiting for her with her favourite ddukbokki.

 [REC ►]

“After three years, he proposed. We had dinner and then we went for a walk. We sat down on one of the benches. He made a speech about how he was thankful to me for sticking by his side. Now that I think about it, it’s slightly ironic. I was the one that begged him to stay…”

Sehun and Hayoung were at the Han River again, sitting on the same bench when Sehun had proposed to her. Like that night, it was silent, and it was dark, with only the light from the stars. Hayoung fiddled around with her bag to put her phone in and when she turned back to face Sehun, he presented her with a ring.

“Hayoung-ah…we have been dating for three years now, and in that time you have helped me forget and learn to be happy. You have been my best friend since the day I saw you in class staring out the window, and you will always be my best friend. Thank you for staying by my side, through everything, and never giving up on me. This is my promise to you. Hayoung-ah, will you marry me?”

 [REC ►]

“So, it’s pretty obvious. I said yes. But I never hesitated. I don’t think the thought of saying ‘no’ ever crossed my mind. I love him too much. I still remember his proposal, so clearly. I went home that night and wrote it down in my diary. Sometimes I read it and I feel really happy, and sometimes, I overanalyse what he said and I find other meanings to it that make me insecure. I can’t compare it to our wedding vows because we used the generic ones, but it’s all just words, right? What’s important are our actions. It’s been a year now…I don’t know what else to tell…”

Hayoung woke up in the guest bedroom. Slightly confused as to why she was there, as it was early morning, she remembered everything when she saw the invitation on the kitchen table. She opened the fridge and found that the food that she had packed was still there, uneaten and untouched. She decided that an omelette and fried rice for breakfast would be sufficient and set about on making her menu.

In the middle of flipping the omelette, she felt two arms snake around her waist and someone’s chin resting on her shoulder. Sehun began to pepper kisses up and down her neck, but Hayoung remained focused on cooking.

“Hayoung-ah…”

“Wae?”

“Why aren’t you paying attention to me?”

“I’m cooking…and if I give in to your kisses, I’ll burn the food or cause some other accident in the kitchen.”

“Fine…but after breakfast, I’ll resume my kisses…”

He let go of her and then set the table. She gave the fried rice one final stir and flipped the omelette one more time before putting them on the table. Sehun dug into his food very quickly.

“You must be hungry from not eating since breakfast yesterday…”

“Yeah…”

“I left your food in the fridge, you didn’t see it?”

“I actually didin’t come out of the room at all yesterday…you know, when I woke up, your half of the bed was already made…it’s like you didn’t sleep there…”

“Okay. If you’re still hungry, there’s more food in the fridge. I have some errands to run today, so you’ll be home alone…”

“No…do them some other time…stay with me today…”

“I can’t…”

Sehun grabbed Hayoung’s hand before she could begin cleaning up the table and held her in position on his lap. She tried to protest but he prevented her from talking by kissing her.

“Ahrasso…I’ll stay…”

“You go and rest on the couch. I’ll clean up today…”

He kissed her on the temple before shooing her off to the lounge and begin putting the plates in the sink. When he joined her twenty minutes later, she got up to get a drink.

“Are you trying to check if I did the dishes properly?”

“Maybe?”

She walked into the kitchen and grabbed two cans of lemonade when she saw a gold envelope sticking out of the bin. When she opened the lid she found the invitation scrunched up amidst the food scraps.