Session Seven

The Heartbreak Sessions

 [REC ►]

“I found the invitation in the trash, scrunched up and laying there like it was the most pathetic thing in the world. Now, wouldn’t this have been reassuring? That my husband, who happens to be the bride’s ex-boyfriend is moving on or, has moved on? That he doesn’t care about her anymore or that he’s happy she’s found her happiness? Some would think that way, but I can’t shake the feeling that it’s the total opposite. If he’s moved on, why can’t he bear to see the invitation? Why lock yourself in a room straight after you’ve read it? I don’t know. This is my other weakness, besides him. I think, I doubt and I worry. Plus, he was being more affectionate than usual…”

After the day that Hayoung had begged Sehun to stay, things had become rather awkward for the two, but they weren’t going to admit it. Although Sehun never verbally promised Hayoung anything, he stayed by her side. He saw her every day, they would eat meals together and spend time at each other’s houses. Hayoung was confused as to what they were? Were they still boyfriend and girlfriend, or did that fizzle back down to a friendship? He held her hand and he hugged her, but there was nothing more than that. And if there was, Hayoung would be the one to initiate it.

Hayoung felt embarrassed to be around him, and when he looked at her, she only saw pity in his eyes, the same kind of look that he had given her when he used to tutor her after she had come back to school. Hayoung felt guilty for holding him back when they sat at the Han River for over an hour with Sehun just staring off into the distance, the only sound you could hear was the deep sighs that were omitted from his mouth.

On one particular day, Sehun and Hayoung were at Starbucks drinking some iced lattes. Hayoung’s back was facing the outside window, while Sehun was in front of her. They had just come from a movie date, and Hayoung was thirsty, so Sehun had brought her there. Hayoung had finished her drink pretty quickly, which made her need to go to the bathroom. As she sat in the toilet cubicle, she replayed the events on the movie in her head. They were watching a romantic comedy. Hayoung thought that it could prompt Sehun to take things back to how they used to be. She watched as other couples in the love seat were paying more attention to each other rather than the film, and Hayoung was awkwardly fiddling with her hands when any romantic scene popped up and Sehun just looked directly ahead.

Hayoung had always had this fantasy at the movies, the when she sat with her boyfriend, the light from the screen would hit his face, illuminating his eyes. She would steal a glance at him, but he would know and then look back at her with a smile. That was her wish; that in the darkness of the theatre, a couple could still only see each other.

When Hayoung made her way out of the bathroom, Sehun was waiting for her. She was surprised, but followed him when he grabbed her hand and then lead them out the door. The sun was up, and both their hands were sweaty, but they didn’t let go. He took her to a park. He found the biggest and shadiest tree and leaned his back against it. He unfolded his legs so that they were out straight in front of him and patted his thigh, motioning for Hayoung to lay on it. Hayoung found it peculiar, but she wasn’t going to reject if Sehun was the one initiating skinship.

She closed her eyes and opened them, checking if it was all a dream that she had conjured up in her head, but when he took her hands and interlaced them, she let herself believe, even if it was part of her imagination. He leaned down and planted a kiss on her lips. Hayoung’s eyes fluttered open and she looked directly into his eyes. There wasn’t any pity there. It was more like his eyes were on fire. Hayoung looked at his face and found that one of his cheeks had reddened.

She sat up, and tried to touch the red spot, but he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a back hug and leaned his cheek against her. Sehun didn’t let go of Hayoung that day. When he walked her home, he quietly followed her inside. She didn’t ask questions, but she knew that there was something off. The afternoon turned into night, and Sehun still hadn’t left. In fact, they had spent the rest of the day tangled up in bed. When Sehun had fallen asleep, she checked his face again, and saw that the red spot had slightly turned purple.

When Hayoung went to Starbucks the next day, the cashier informed her that her boyfriend had been slapped by another girl who seemed to also be out with her boyfriend, and she should be wary of him. When she asked further questions about the woman who slapped him, she figured out who it was, and why it had such an effect on him. It was Hyerin.

Hayoung returned with the two cans of lemonade. Sehun had set up a DVD, and was just waiting for her. She handed him the drink and then sat on the sofa, keeping some distance between them, but Sehun tugged on her arm so that she was leaning against him. Hayoung was so engrossed in the film, but Sehun wasn’t paying any attention to it.

“Oppa…”

Sehun was playing with a strand of her hair as he replied with an “hmmmm?”

“Isn’t it amazing that it’s based on a true story? I mean, even though she didn’t remember him, they fell in love with each other all over again…”

“Hmmm…”

Hayoung turned to face Sehun to find out why his responses weren’t even words, but she turned her head and he kissed her. He got rid of the pillow that was sitting on her lap and pushed her down on the sofa as his hands began to wander to the hem of her shirt. He trailed his lips down to her neck and then back again, as Hayoung took his shirt off. Sehun pulled away and Hayoung opened her eyes and she saw fire in them again. She knew where this was headed. She knew what he was doing. Sehun picked her up with her legs wrapped around his waist and set her down on the bed before he resumed his kisses.

Sehun was trying to forget.