Chapter 23

Shadows of Love

Raymond dropped off Charmaine at the entrance of the hospital. He wanted to go in with her but she object to it. She promised to call him the moment she gets home. Satisfied, Raymond finally drove off, but not before Joe caught a glimpse of him from the window of his room. He curled his fingers into fists and then relaxed them slowly and took out his cell phone.

Charmaine arrived at the nurses station and advised them that the doctor wanted to see her. The nurse informed her that the doctor was already in Joe’s room and for her to proceed right in. Thanking the nurse, she walked hastily into Joe’s room. She pushed the door open and hesitated. Joe and the doctor were engrossed in a conversation. Joe saw her instantly and smiled. “I’m glad you’re finally here.” He patted the space beside his bed for her to take.

Charmaine greeted the doctor and sat down beside Joe. “Did he go over the report yet?” she asked and turned to the doctor for an answer.

Joe smiled, “Not yet. I wanted to wait for you.” He then turned to the doctor and with a nod motioned for the doctor to begin.

The doctor cleared his throat and looked down on his clipboard. “I’m afraid I have bad news.” He paused to look at the two before continue, “We ran many tests on him and it all comes to one conclusion, lung cancer.”

Charmaine was shocked and got up quickly to stand before the doctor, “Are you sure? Can you re-do the tests?” She saw Joe’s face pale and quickly rushed back to his side to take his hand in a gesture of support and comfort.

The doctor looked gravely at Charmaine, “We’re positive. The only thing right now is chemotherapy. But that would require a lot of time and it’s an exhaustive process.” He turned to Joe, “We can schedule you for your first session tomorrow morning.”

Joe spoke, “No. I am not doing that.”

“Joe, you have to! You can’t ignore it!” Charmaine cried out with urgency.

“No!” Joe shouted as he closed his eyes and dropped his head on the bed. “I want to be alone now.”

The doctor looked with sympathy at Charmaine, “Why don’t you guys discuss it among yourselves? You can have the nurse page me when you talked it over,” he then turned and left.

Charmaine sat down on the edge of the bed facing Joe. She softly asked, “Why are you refusing?”

Joe opened his eyes and looked beseechingly at her, “Chemo is a long and painful process. I don’t think I’ll be able to go through it. Just the thought of it makes me feel scared and lonely.”

Charmaine knew she shouldn’t be saying it but she did, “You won’t be alone. I know the process will be long and painful but I’m going to be right by your side.”

Joe’s face lightened up a bit and he asked eagerly, “You will?”

Charmaine smiled softly, “Yes. I’ll be here with you all the way.”

Joe took her hands and asked, “Marry me then. You being my wife will give me something to live for. Say you’ll marry me.”

Charmaine felt her heart crush and a feeling of helplessness overtook her. All she could think of was Raymond and how it would affect him. She was finally able to forgive him and was looking forward to a future with him. Joe squeezed her hand and she lifted her eyes to meet his.

“Please Charmaine, marry me. Give me something to live for,” Joe repeated emotionally.

Charmaine got up and without a word left his room. She headed straight for the nurses station and was relieved that the doctor was still in attendance. “Can I speak with you alone for a minute?”

The doctor nodded and they walked to a private area around the corner, “What is it? Did the patient have another relapse?”

“No,” Charmaine said. “Can you tell me will he recover without chemotherapy?”

The doctor frowned, “I don’t understand it. Usually patients would eagerly accept therapy especially when they have love ones waiting for them.”

Charmaine said, “I just need to know. Can you please answer my question?”

The doctor stared meaningfully at Charmaine and said, “Well to be honest with you, he will only continue to deteriorate. He will get weaker and weaker as the days go by. Chemo is his only chance if he wants to live.”

Charmaine looked earnestly at the doctor, “I appreciate your honesty. Can you go ahead and schedule a session for him?”

“I need his consent in writing,” the doctor said, “There are forms to be filled.”

Charmaine gave him a small smile and said, “Can you come to his room in a few minutes? He’ll sign whatever is needed. Thanks.” Charmaine returned to Joe’s room and found him staring at the door, apparently waiting for her. She crossed over to him and whispered flatly, “I’ll marry you.”