Chapter 22

Shadows of Love

Charmaine left her apartment and was again surprise to see that Raymond was waiting by his car in front. After their talk last night, she had told him repeatedly that she needed time to end things with Joe. She had also requested that in the meantime, they don’t see each other and he had agreed. She walked up to him with a frown, “What are you doing here?”

Raymond was not the least bit upset with her tone. In fact, he smiled, “I thought we might get breakfast together?”

“I can’t,” Charmaine said. “I got a call from the hospital this morning. They have the results of Joe’s tests. The doctor told me that Joe wants me to be there with him for it.”

Now it was Raymond’s turn to frown, “He has to learn to depend on someone else from now on. When are you planning on telling him about us?”

Charmaine took an impatient breath and said, “I thought we went over this last night. You agreed to give me time and let me do things my way.”

Raymond looked at her and said, “I know but I just don’t like the two of you being together. I can’t help but think that he’ll do anything to keep you by his side. That’s the type of person he is.”

Charmaine touched his arm and softly asked, “Don’t you trust me?”

Raymond stared at her eyes, eyes that seem to sparkle. He took her hand off his arm and brought it to his lip. “You know I do. I guess I’m the one who is feeling insecure now. After what I did to you in the past I’m afraid that you might change your mind about getting back with me.” When she didn’t respond but only looked at him, he said, “Have you forgiven me for what I did?”

Charmaine’s face turned serious as she pretended to re-think her decision. She saw Raymond’s anxious expression and laughed out softly. “Yes, I’ve forgiven you. But you have to promise me that it will never happen again.”

Raymond embraced her and kissed the top of her head, inhaling her fresh scent. “I promise.” He released her and held her at arms’ length. “Can I at least give you a ride to the hospital?”

Charmaine nodded and gave him a warm smile. Seeing the tenderness on his handsome face, she assured him, “I promise to tell Joe the first chance I get.”

Raymond pulled her in for another hug and then with his arm still wrapped around her shoulders, led her to his car.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Tavia sat quietly in the passenger seat in Ron’s car while he floored the accelerator. Since the assault last night, Ron hasn’t been himself. She questioned him about it, but he only shrugged at her questions. Unable to bear the silence any longer, Tavia spoke, “Can you tell me what’s bothering you?”

Ron glanced at her briefly before turning back to the road, “What makes you think something is troubling me?”

Tavia said, “First of all, you’ve been awfully quiet since last night and second, you’re driving like a maniac right now. And you never drive this reckless.”

Ron eased his foot off the gas pedal and the car slowed, “Better?”

Tavia punched him on the arm and said, “No because I want to know what’s bothering you?”

“Nothing,” Ron stated. “I’m just recovering from the shock of last night. Which by the way, how come you don’t seem to be affected by it?”

Tavia shrugged and with a slight smile said, “That’s because Michael is my god-brother. I’m use to all this drama by now.”

The flair in which she said it caused Ron to break out in laughter, “I work for Michael and till this day, I’m not even used to all the fighting and blood.”

Tavia looked at Ron thoughtfully and responded, “Perhaps you should think about quitting the association then.”

“What?” Ron shrieked, “You think I’m a coward?”

Tavia giggled, “I didn’t say you were a coward and stop trying to change the subject. Are you or are you not going to tell me what’s really bothering you?”

Ron’s face clouded as he wondered where to begin. “Have you ever done something to your best friend, something that made your best friend unhappy for years, and regretted it?”

“Wow, sounds serious,” Tavia said. “Did you do something to Raymond?”

Ron concentrated on his driving again and said quietly, “I did something in the past to Raymond and realized recently that he never gotten over it.”

Tavia turned in her seat to look at him, “Is that what’s bothering you, Raymond being mad at you?”

Ron shook his head, “He hasn’t found out what I did yet and I hope he never does but I got a feeling the past is going to blow up in my face real soon.”