Chapter 37

Shadows of Love

Charmaine came out of the bathroom and found Raymond in the living room in front of the TV with the remote in his hands. He was flipping the channels but she knew he wasn’t paying attention to what was on the screen. She sat down next to him and took the remote. Switching off the TV, she asked, “Want to talk about it?”

Raymond leaned his head back against the sofa and closed his eyes, “I can’t believe Ron would do that to me. We’ve been best friends since we were kids. I thought I knew him but I guess I really don’t.”

Charmaine leaned her head on his shoulder and said simply, “People make mistakes and we learn to forgive and forget.”

Raymond opened his eyes to look down at her, “But his mistake cost us a lot. Every time I think back to what you have done to yourself I get angry all over again.”

Charmaine smiled tenderly at him, “But that’s all in the past. We’re together now. Isn’t that what’s important?”

Raymond looked away from her, “It is but I don’t know if I can forgive him.”

Charmaine nodded, “I understand but staying angry with him will only hurt yourself.” She crawled onto his lap and wrapped her arms around his neck so that he was forced to look at her. “Remember when we saw each other again and I kept pushing you away? I was the one who was hurting by denying what I really wanted. And that was to forgive you and start over. I was only torturing myself by trying to stay angry with you. At the end, I realized that the only way I could be happy again is to be with you.”

Raymond felt his heart tighten at her admittance. He smiled sweetly at her as he embraced her. A sudden glint came into his eyes as he asked, “You were pushing me away on purpose huh?”

Charmaine lifted her eyes to his and answered defiantly, “Yes and you know it!”

Raymond lost himself into the pool of her deep brown eyes. In a low voice he said achingly, “At one point I thought you were really over me. I kept telling myself that it can’t be true, especially not after what we’ve been through. But then every time I see you and Joe together, I feel as if I lost you for good. Those days were very hard on me.”

Charmaine caressed his cheek, “The same with me too.”

Raymond kissed her softly and Charmaine pulled back, “Can you forgive Ron?”

Raymond knew that he would do anything she asked of him. Pulling her forward into his arms again, he whispered, “For you I will.”

Pleased with his answer, Charmaine allowed Raymond to sweep her into another kiss.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Joe waited in his car for Ron to return. When he saw the familiar figure walking his way, he quickly climbed out of the car. “I’ve been waiting for you.”

Ron’s obvious displeasure on seeing Joe was on his face, “Don’t you have anything better to do than to follow me around?”

Joe laughed, “Nothing is worth my time more than getting Charmaine back. I can’t wait any longer for you to decide on the right timing.”

Ron scrunched up his face, “I have no idea what you’re talking about.” He turned to leave but Joe grabbed him by the arm.

“Are we forgetting that little video I have,” Joe snickered. “Do you want me to show it to Raymond?”

Now it was Ron’s turn to laugh, “Show him the video, I don’t care. I already told him the truth.” He faced Joe squarely and roughly said, “You have no hold over me. I will not let you use me against Raymond.”

Joe dropped Ron’s arm, his mind wheeling from the news. When he saw the look of contempt on Ron’s face, he said coldly, “That doesn’t change a thing. I’m still going to get Charmaine back.” He walked away but stopped when Ron started laughing loudly.

He turned back around, puzzled by Ron, “What’s so funny?”

Ron grinned, “You are.”

Joe walked back to his car and got in. Just when he was about to pull away, Ron tapped the windshield and made a cranking motion with his hand for him to lower the window.

Ron placed his hand on the hood of Joe’s car and said with good humor, “I forgot to tell you, Raymond and Charmaine are getting married.” He then leaned into the car and said somberly, “I don’t think any you do could ever break them up. So just face it and leave them alone.” Next, his tone turned threatening as he added, “If you do hurt either one of them, I will personally come after you.”

Joe’s response was a vile smile as he stepped on the accelerator and sped down the street.

Ron remained standing, watching the taillights of Joe’s car disappearing in the distance. He felt a chill run through his body as he remembered the smile on Joe’s face right before he drove off.