Ephemeral

If You Could See His Heart

"He stepped down, trying not to look long at her, as if she were the sun,

yet he saw her, like the sun, even without looking."

- Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina



The tall and handsome boy stood facing the blank wall as he rocked back and forth. He glanced once more at the petite girl on the other side of the room. She didn't look any different from the other girls but there was something that made her stand out to him.

Her soft brown eyes met his and he turned away, his face turning deep red. He could feel her curious gaze on him and he winced in pain when the teacher hit his head with the ruler.

"Kim Jongin," The teacher snarled, "Didn't I say to raise your arms?"

Jongin heard the entire class snicker as they stared at his bloody face. He had gotten into a fight with another classmate because of a simple word that made his blood boil.

Orphan.

There was nothing Jongin hated more than being called an orphan. It wasn't his fault that his dad couldn't keep his inside his pants and that his mother was too young to take care of him. They left him all alone. Even though they weren't dead, they were to him.

Jongin rolled his eyes as he raised his arms higher, knowing that the punishment would end soon enough. He turned to stare at the new transfer student who shyly bowed. She looked younger than him. Her thick glasses framed her small face and made her light brown eyes appear larger. Her thick black hair fell over her back into soft curls and her smile lit up the room. She turned to glance at him before sliding into her seat.

Jongin stood up once the teacher motioned for him to return to his seat. He slid in besides the new transfer student who avoided his gaze. She smiled awkwardly at him and turned back to her notebook her fingers tapping lightly on the desk.

"It seems we have a new student." The teacher said, "Please welcome Cha Hye Soo."

Hye Soo stood up and bowed to the class once more and automatically said her greetings. Jongin noticed the dark circles that she tried to hide with makeup but failed. There was a tiny scar on her lower lip that was practically invisible but only showed when she grimaced.

"Hello," Hye Soo bowed, "I hope you take care of me."

She sat back down and focused her attention on the blank sheet of paper in front of her. Class began and Jongin couldn't keep his eyes off the girl next to him. She was plain compared to the girls he had dated before but there was something about her eyes that made his heart pound just a bit faster.

There was a range of emotions that flashed every time she blinked. At one moment they were full of interest but quickly changed to frustration. They were happy and then turned sad. It was as if they were telling him her life's story.

"Did it hurt?"

Hye Soo jumped up in surprise as Jongin slid closer to her. She could feel his warmth breath on her face as he closely examined her face. Her heart raced faster when she noticed the thick plump lips curve into a soft smile.

"Did what hurt?" She murmured, "What are you talking about?"

"When you fell from heaven."

Jongin softly chuckled to himself as Hye Soo tried desperately to stop her laugh. Her eyes turned into a cresent moon as she covered . He could feet his heart race faster as she turned to look at him. Their eyes connected and Jongin felt a sudden spark run throughout his body.

"You can't be serious," She giggled, "That was so bad."

"But you laughed," Jongin smirked, "It worked anyways."

"I couldn't help it."

"Why not?"

"Because," She slid closer to stare at him, "It seemed like you tried so hard."

"Me?" Jongin raised his eyebrows, "I tried hard?"

He chuckled once more but then winced when his swollen lips cracked once more. Hye Soo automatically reached out to help him but froze when he grabbed onto her hand. Jongin looked at her and stared into her eyes. She avoided his gaze and managed to slip her hand out of his grasp.

"We should pay attention," Hye Soo turned around, "We'll get yelled at."

"Jongin."

"Huh?"

He placed a finger under her chin and forced her to stare at him. She examined his bruised face and reached into her pocket. Wordlessly, Hye Soo handed him her handkerchief and smiled when he wiped away at his cuts.

"Jongin," He repeated, "Kim Jongin."

"Hye Soo," She smiled, "But you can call me Soo."

"You can call me oppa," Jongin smiled, "Jongin oppa."

••••••••••••

(Author's Note)

I have finally decided to return to this story! I don't expect a lot of people to reread it or be interested in it but I remembered how much I wanted to write this story. Here is just a small prologue where you get to see how Jongin and Hye Soo met. Next chapter will be the second prologue. So go ahead, comment and upvote! Thanks again my loveliest of lovely readers! Also, don't forget to check out my other stories! Remember: leave many comments!!