Chapter 4

"hey..." press enter to send

 

A few weeks passed by after I went out with Emma’s group to the cinema. Even though they started to get to know me, I still can’t act as if I don’t know who Laura is. Every night my mind went crazy thinking about what will happen to our friendship if she knew who I am.

I rolled over my bed and snatch my phone from the bedside table.  Flipping it open, I sighed as there’s no message from her that day.

“She’s probably busy…” I kept telling myself that whenever this happens.

I flip close my phone and roll over to face the ceiling.

It’s empty…

I don’t like this emptiness…

“Might as well play my mp3…” I hissed.

I put on my earphone and press the play button. It’s still early in the night. But as I listen to the songs, my eyelids slowly shuts itself.

 

 -----

 

RINGSSSSSSS

“HUH???” I woke up abruptly as the alarm went off.

It’s all blurry. I sat up and switched off the alarm. The needle shows that it’s just 5 am in the morning. 

Everything is so quiet… it’s just the right time for me to actually enjoy the world.

I brush off my hair with my hand as I stood up and arranged my bed. This is the time of the day where I enjoy the most… other than chatting with Laura that is.

After washing my face, I put on my track suit and a hoodie. It’s chill outside at this hour. Most people would rather stay in the bed. Only some know the secret behind this time of the day.

The air is so clean and is the cleanest throughout the day, the sun rising scenery is so beautiful it remind me of why it’s all worth it to live each day, and the most important stuff is that there are really small number of people up at this hour. Human is such a messed up creature, living each day… collecting stuff that aren’t important in their life…

I locked my door as I made my way to the front gate.

I live alone; my parents live far away, and probably are busy with their work. It was 3 months ago at my cousins wedding ceremony. I have a little brother. But more like a person who are just blood related. He lives in Europe. Our childhood story isn’t that pretty like any other normal siblings… I’m not really a good big brother.

I started stretching while inhaling the fresh and humid air. The moon is half shining and the stars are shining brightly around it. I wonder if someone else out there stares at earth thinking that this star will fulfill their wishes like we all do to the other stars…

The house in front of mine is empty. The owner is a foreigner and I hardly see him for months. Such a waste of a good house you tell me. But on the other hand, it’s good because there are less people around me. Human presence means more drama, and more conflict. The less the better.

I started to jog. Not to the park, but to the city. I usually run around the busiest area during the day. The feeling of walking in an empty place where a large number of people are usually at… it’s priceless. Imagine the calmness at that time and the chaos during the day. What’s the difference? Human presence obviously...

 

---

 

After 30 minutes of jogging, I went to the 24/7 mart to buy my breakfast. 3 packets of bread and 2 bottle of water. I ate one packet and drink a bottle of water. While walking back home, I went through this under bridge tunnel where an old guy lives. He is homeless, but even though he doesn’t have what other categorized as one of life necessities, his life is more valuable than any millionaires combined.

I put down 2 packets of bread and a bottle of water next to a self-made tent as I see the peacefulness expression on his face, sleeping freely wherever he wants. I smiled and walk away.

The sun is rising and cars started to fill the roads. I reach my house and went for a shower. My morning class will start in 2 hours.  Staring at my phone, I wonder if she’s up yet… Having a feeling toward somebody who doesn’t know you is hard. It’s even hard to say you have an interest in her when all you ever are to her is only a best stranger friend

Using my train pass, I board the train like always. Strangely it’s not as packed as I expect it to be at that time. Haha, more space for me!

People board and go off as the train moves through stations. I just sit quietly and look down at my palm. Eye contacts with people will make me uncomfortable especially with those who are chatty. Less contacts, less trouble.

The train stops again, I change my posture and put my bag up front…

“Hey you! Good morning!”

I look up, making sure I’m not hearing things.

It’s Claire, the subway lady! I fidgeted as she sits next to me. Oh here we go again; she’s chatty all the time. She likes to mock me and I don’t really like it. I hug my bag and intended to ignore her like always.

I waited for her words…

But she didn’t say anything….

This is strange! Usually she would be very chatty.

I look to my left and then to my right trying to pretend as if I was scanning the commuters as my eyes landed on her face. She has this blank expression facing to the front and sitting still. I couldn’t read her face at all.

I shouldn’t be meddling with other people’s life, but to be honest, she also helped me to deal with society by trying to talk to me especially when it is crowded. At least she showed me that even though a person doesn’t want to mingle in the society, they can’t run away from it because our life revolves around a society. Nobody can live alone without other people in this world, a fact that I learnt from her.

I look at her again before clearing my throat…

But she still isn’t responding.

So, I fidgeted a bit and turn my face toward her curiously.

“Some… Something is bothering you?” I asked finally.

She turns her head toward me and looks half-surprised. It took her a couple of second before replying back.

“You look astonishingly handsome up close…” she says.

“HUH??” I was taken aback. Why would she say that all of sudden? What a weird girl!

And then she chuckles and burst into a laugh.

“AHAHAHA! Relax! I was playing with you, but you do look nice up close…” She stares at me again. Ah, the old she is back! I must have pressed whatever button that activated her weird personality. Aisht!

I look away. Regret of asking such question.

“But thanks for asking though… It’s just stuff happens that makes you wonder about yourself…” she slumped back on her seat.

I turn back my head and look at her defeated expression. Another depressed human…

The train passes the tunnels and the sound of the whooshing air fills the room.

After that, it went quiet…

“It’s going to be okay whatever the problem is, but you gotta know what your problem is and try to solve it. Trying is enough to get you out of feeling defeated. Solving it is just a reward, failing to solve it is also a reward, but that’s how life is whether you like it or not. We just trying to patch things up in life, nobody really fulfill all their dreams.” I blurted. I didn’t mean to say those long lines, but it just came out one after another.

She looks at me while I lean back on my seat.

Aisht! This girl really like to stare at people directly like it’s something normal to do!!!… not that it’s wrong though.

Just then a voice announces the arrival at the station where I’m heading.

“Umm... I’m getting off here.” I said clutching my bag tightly. She still didn’t move from her last posture.

As I’m about to stand up, she grabs the end of my shirt.

I look back and her head was dropped, and her gaze was on the floor.

“Thank you really.”

It was the first time I seen her as vulnerable as that. I just nodded my head, forgetting that she probably didn’t see me nodding.

She let go of my shirt as the train door opens. I just walk out of the train without looking back. It’d be weird even for me if I was to look back at her. What a weird girl she is.

As the train passes, I shrug as I watch the train disappears from the view. I never knew I’m such a person before…

 

---

 

An hour passed and something is bothering me. Where is Laura???

She doesn’t show up for the first class. I wonder if she’s alright. I even kept my phone in general mode and not in vibrate mode, in case she replies my chat messages.

 

---

 

2 classes passed and she really isn't likely to turn up for that day. And she didn’t answer any of my chat messages.  Is she alright? Is she sick or got into trouble?  I shook my head, I can’t think like that right now.

“Eri, see me after class would you?” suddenly the professor asked me out of the blue.

“I’m sorry, I…”

 

“You didn’t do anything wrong boy, I just want to see you after the class. That’s alright with you?” The professor asked again.

I’m confused but just nodded. The other students were also curious but after a while, the class continues like normal.

I paid extra attention in his lecture just in case he wanted to ask me something from it.  It’s nothing new to me, but just in case, the words might be different from what I know.

I am worried about Laura and now curious about why the professor wanted to see me after the class. Having both thoughts in your head however turns the clock faster than usual.

I followed him to his room trying to guess what he is going to say to me.

As I closed the door behind me, he sat on the big chair facing toward me.

“Grab a seat” he said.

I drag one of the chairs and sit in front of his desk.

“Eri, I know that you’re a brilliant young student.”

I listen carefully to each of his words.

“And I know none of what I’m teaching is actually new to you. I don’t want you or me waste each other’s time anymore… I want you out of my class.”

My eyes went wide as I lean forward and rest my hand on the desk.

“But professor! I didn’t do anything wrong did I? I’m also trying to finish my study and get the certificate. How could...-“

“I’m not done yet boy.” The professor interrupted.

“As I was saying, I find that it’s non-beneficial for you to be in my class when your knowledge is far more useful somewhere else.” He smiled.

“I don’t understand?” I replied.

“What do you think of working in an advanced lab where you could experiment and learn new things?” The professor kept his smile on while rummaging his bag.

He pulled out a document and shoves it in front of me. It reads:

“Taka pharmaceutical and biotech lab .Inc.”

“What’s this?” I asked as I flip the document open and go through page by page.

“It’s an organization of scientists specialized in new inventions in chemicals and physiological enhancement. The owner is my friend and he asked me to help him find a bright student to help him out in the organization. The obvious benefit is that you’re promised a workplace and will be paid as a regular scientist. Also this will be considered as part of your degree course. An experimental one i would say.” The professor explained.

“Why would they want a young scientist? Isn’t it more proper and safe to have experienced ones rather than the inexperienced?” I kept my eyes on the files while talking.

“As I said before, they are expertized in inventions. Inventions come from unaffected mind that are not bound to the old rules of science.”

It makes sense…

Maybe this is a one way ticket out of this college stuff. The pay is also good!

“I don’t know what you’ve seen in me sir, but I’m totally honored that you think highly of me.” I close the documents.

“But can I still come to your classes if I decide to work with this Mr. Taka?”

“Why would you…? Oh well, obviously you can, you finally realize what I taught is worth the time isn’t it?” The professor crossed his hand on his chest, feeling proud.

“Totally sir, I mean I probably look bored, but it’s actually my thinking face.” I lied; I just want to be in the same class with Laura. That’s all.

“Of course you can!” He smiled. I smiled. We smiled. I walked away.

 

I felt happy for such opportunity. Making money while having time to be in a class with Laura. I hope it will be worth for all the effort!

The file says that I need to report to the organization’s building today at 1pm. Better get going then. Hopefully it’s not just another old lab trying to keep up their business by employing cheap students as their labor force.

The journey was ok. No traffic jams or accidents making my life easier.

Within an hour, I stood before a mansion that is connected to a big building beside it. It looks like the big building is the lab and it was later constructed after the mansion.

I push the gate button.

“State your name and your business please.” The intercom emits someone’s voice.

“I’m Eri, Erique Park. I’m here from the USBC. Professor KInglee sent me here under the letter from Mr Taka of this organization.” I explained.

“Oh! New guy. Please come in. Head to the mansion, second door from the right please.” The voice guided.

“Thank you!” I replied. Pushing open the gate, I stepped in.

The mansion looks bigger as I closed in. The first floor looks really tall as the window itself is twice as big as the normal size window in the other building. Finally I curved a smile and open the door. This seems promising!

The inside is more astonishing than the outer look. I walk inside with an awe expression. I hardly felt amazed to materialistic stuff before, but that building deserves to be amazed. It’s filled with both antique and modern style furnitures. Makes you want to examine every inch of the building.

A sign hanged on an entrance to a corridor saying “Main Office”. I walked into the corridor and turn as the passage turns.

BAM!

“OUCH!” I was knocked back down the floor as I ran onto someone or something.

“EH EH I’M SORRY MISTER!!” I was helped back onto my leg.

As I brush my pants from the dusts, I look up and saw a big modified trolley with tubes coming in and out of it.

I turned to look at the person who pushes the trolley.

“YOU???” She was faster than I am in greeting… in greeting? Doesn’t sound like a greeting?

She lets go of my elbow in surprise.

Those face… that hair… that voice…

I gasped and shouted out her name spontaneously.

“LAURA???” 

 

 


ohho, Claire or Laura? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯