Chapter 1

"hey..." press enter to send

 

 

“eva210 is idle for 21 minutes

He puts down his head on the desk staring into his laptop screen mindlessly.  He feels like the time ran too slow as he drew a circle on the table with his finger. Was he like this before? It’s scary how things had happen with too many coincidences in his life.

It’s like, life wanted to tell something to him. No matter what he does, it’s as if fate is already taking control of his life. He is being driven toward one destination no matter what path he chose to walk on. But he is trying so hard to make whats left of him worth living for.

Slowly his vision became blurry. Swayed into the dreamland as his eyes closed shut. His body was tired but his mind was more exhausted.

 

~Flashback~

“Hey man, take it easy.  Let’s talk about this thoroughly first. You’re in your fourth year already dude. Think about it!” Owen blabbered as Eri put down another bag in front of the living room.

“Owen, you know me well enough right? You know that I think about almost everything thoroughly. This is my decision after thinking it for quite sometime. It may sounds ridiculous to you, but in the long term, it sounds perfectly logical.” He went back into his room, stuffing his belonging into the last bag while Owen tags along with him trying to kick some sense into the man’s brain.

Eri somehow decided to drop out from the university without giving a proper reason other than he thought it’s not worth it anymore.

“But why? Do you have problem? Share with me Eri. You make me all curious and somehow guilty with your action.” Owen asked.

“No, you guys shouldn’t feel that way at all. It’s my problem; its got nothing to do with you guys. I just felt that what I’m doing before wasn’t what I want to do in life, and I want to change it. “ Eri pull his last bag into the living room.

Owen followed him still confused with his friends sudden change while Eri ignored his talks. It’s true somehow that he is kind of irresponsible and stupid with his action. Who would leave their study given that they are a year away from graduating and having a bright future in elite work arena. Not to mention on how much has been spent for the tuition fees and living cost overseas.

“Is it about money? Do your family have problem at home? Or are you sick?” Owen kept questioning him endlessly.

“Cut it out man. This is just solely based on my decision. Took me some years to make this decision and I expect you to respect it at least a lil bit Owen.” Eri put down his bag. But something in Owen’s question is actually related to the reason Eri abandoning his study. But it’s not really the big part of why he decided to do it; it’s just a trigger to the fact that he doesn’t like what he is doing with his life at that time.

After making sure that his room is cleaned and none of his stuff isn’t left behind, he walk into the living room… waited by Owen at the front door.

“Aaight Owen… this is it." Eri smiled and Owen doesn't know what to do anymore. 

"I know this is a reallycrazy thing to do. But this is my life, I’m not gonna spend it according to other people’s demand. So… Good luck Owen. You gonna be a good doctor soon. I know that for sure.” Eri put on his sweater as Owen stood there looking at his one weird friend.

“Hey Eri.. I don’t know man. You... you’re really weird. I don’t know what to say anymore. But you have a brilliant mind and I don’t know what’s running in your head right now… But oh well, it’s your life after all..” Owen picks up Eri’s bag.

“Hey you don’t need to-”

“Let me at least carry these to the taxi? Least I can do now. Already feel like a ty friend for not understanding your mind.” Owen pulled two bags out of the apartment.  Eri just stood there for a second before smiling a bit.

“You know Eri, the guys gonna be super mad after they know you left without telling them at all.” Owen walks into the elevator followed by Eri.

“I know Owen. But I don’t want to bother them especially around this time of year. They gonna be flipped mad I know. But at least I’m already gone before they can get mad at me, hahaha” Eri stares into his own reflection in the elevator’s mirror.

That day, he did something unexpected and big that changes his life forever. He left his study and his friends. He has a weird mind, he thinks differently from other people. He tried to blend in, but he’s just faking his life trying to find the happiness that never came to him.  

But something happened that changes his attitude entirely that lead to his decision.

~End flashback~

 

“BZZZ BZZZ”

He sprang up after he felt his phone vibrated on the table.

He rub his eyes lazily as he reaches for his phone.

“Hurm… I fell asleep..”  Eri unlocked his phone and turned off the alarm. And it took a couple of seconds before he realizes something…

“OH , I’M LATE!!” He ran into the bathroom while stripping off his clothes on the way. He took the quickest shower, suited up and ran out of his room.

“I’m late, I’m late, I’m effing late!!!” he mumbles as he ran to his bike and starts the engine.

“BZZZ  BZZZ”

His phone vibrates again. Someone must have messaged him as he is late for his class and group discussion. Eri sped off to the train station and parked his bike before urgently running to the arrived train at the platform. He got on just in time before the subway train departed.

“Phew, thank god I didn’t miss this one. Or else I’d be damn too late for class” He settles down on an empty chair beside the train door. He didn’t ride his bike to the college because he dislike getting attention there as he want to stay under profile and anonymous. He took the train everyday to class as his college is near to the train station.

He run as fast as possible to the classroom and obviously welcomed with death stares from his group members. He just walks in with a big wide smile and sat down on an empty chair beside his friends.

“Hehehe. Hello? Anything new today?” he curved a smile as his ready-to-kill friends stared at him with disbelief.

“Hello my ! Why are you late??? We were suppose to finish this up by today you know!” Emma puts down her notes as she picks up the assignment paper and handing them to Eri.

“This is like the fourth time you’re late Eri! Remind me not to pick you as group member in the future!” Yuu eyed Eri angrily. But he shook his head afterward with a heavy sigh.

“Damn it, even if we are angry at you, you have the brain. It’s not like we have gotten this far without you. Damn you Eri...” Yuu said as others burst into laughter. Eri just smiled and apologize again and again.

As they continued their group assignment, Eri couldn’t help to steal a glance around the class trying to catch a glimpse of someone.

“ERI YOU BETTER PAY ATTENTION OR IMMA BURY YOU RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW!!” Yuu smacked his hand with his textbook. He was surprised and quickly gave back his attention into the group discussion.  They finally finished their assignment on time eventhough Eri was late that day. Looks like he is spared again for his late-coming.

“Go submit these to the professor’s office will you? And please! I beg you not to be late or mess up this time. This is our life, and we are putting it in your hand!” Emma put the assignment papers into his hand while Yuu look at him with sinister stare.

“Ok! Alright! Don’t stare at me like that!” Eri walks off with the assignment to the professor’s office.

The office is in another building so he need to walk through the main area where students usually converged at. He dislike it a lot and try to walk as fast as possible to the office area.

Thankfully, nothing happened at the main area and he walked straight to the office and knocks on the door.

“Here you go sir, right on time. “ Eri handed over the assignment to the professor.

“Oh, I’m surprised that they actually put you onto this important task all by yourself. Well done Eri!” Eri smiled back trying to down the professor’s sarcasm.  But quickly, he brushed off his smile…

A girl walks in carrying bunch of boxes and papers. As she walks toward Eri’s direction, he became nervous and unsettled.

“Hello professor.” She speaks softly, not knowing that she is being examined by someone else in that room.

“Ah Laura, It’s nice to see you on time like always.” The professor smiled warmly as the young lady passed the papers to the professor.

“And can I help you with anything else Mr. Eri? Or do you need direction to the exit?” The professor looked at him as he was unknowingly staring at Laura for some time now.

“Ah! Oh, okay sir. Thank you very much! I’m on my way out.” He bowed his head to the professor and he nervously bowed to the girl before walking so fast to the door.

As the door closed shut, Eri heave a relieved sigh. It was her that he was searching for in the classroom before. He just wanted to catch a glimpse of her, but meeting her like that is far too much for him. His heart couldn’t take the excitement. Laura is a very kind-looking girl with beautiful smile. Any guy would fall for such innocent look…

But for Eri, she meant something different… Far from just falling in love for her look. He has his own story. And she somehow plays a big role in his life-changing period…

Eri texted Yuu and Emma that their assignment is safely submitted and he is on his way back to home already. Unable to wait anytime longer. Yuu and Emma of course was mad that he went home already. They always wanted Eri to hang out a lil bit more with them after class.

---

He took the subway back again. His eye is fixed on his phone all that time in the train. Unable to look to the other passenger… and far from trying to start a conversation with any of them.

“Hey you.” A voice interrupted. He lifted up his head and saw a lady waving at him with a smile.

Eri lifts up his hand and waved once back to her before looking away shyly. He has this weird personality of being unable to interact with unfamiliar people easily. It took him 3 months to talk to Yuu or Emma. Moreover, it's due to him needing something from them that starts their friendship, otherwise Eri would be one lonely student for the entire semester.

“Aah, still shy huh? Oh come on. We have been seeing each other on this train for like 2 months already?... I’m a good person you know.” The girl approaches. She always tried to talk to him for the last 2 months. She told once that her name is Claire, but Eri only knows her as the “subway-lady”, his bad habit of branding people who he isn’t used to with something connected to them.

“Finished class for today?” Claire asked.

Eri nodded while still looking at his phone nervously. Claire just smiled looking at him.

“You have plan for this afternoon? You look like you’re in a hurry” Claire continued.

Well, it has been like that for as long as she remembers. He always have this look... an unsettled face especially when the train is crowded.  The introvert kind of personality.

Eri shooks his head a bit trying so hard not to look at her. His face is slowly turning red. The auto-reaction that happens when someone tried to talk to him.

“Ah good. Then you can join me for lunch eh? Maybe we can go on a date?” she giggles as he abruptly trying to change his sitting posture. Claire was obviously teasing him like always. They have been on the same train for 2 months. At first, she pitied him because he looks lonely and sad. But now, she likes to as she knows why he acts like that.

“Ah, I’m just kidding. hihi” She giggles as Eri look unsettled. Eri took out a tissue and wipes off his forehead.

Eri looks away trying to ignore her stares that makes him feel uncomfortable.

Slowly the train approaches a platform; while Claire is still playfully teasing him with jokes.

“Ah, this is my stop. You sure you don’t want to come with me?” She grinned at him. Eri just shook his head again while his hand is crossed together on his chest.

“Hul.. ok then. Hope to see you again another day. Bye~” she smiled and stood up waiting for the train door to open. She waved happily as she saw Eri steal a glance at her direction as she went off.

"Aisht. She sure is one hard woman to deal with… ==” Eri wiped of his forehead again. It’s hard enough to stay in that crowdy train and there she is… always trying to talk to him all the time.

He got off the train and went straight back to home. He’ll just have instant noodle later as dinner. He has nothing to do anymore outside.

He took off his jacket and settles down on his desk chair. Lifting up his laptop screen and logging on the system.

he opened up the browser and loggen into the chatting website.

User is Offline

He leaned back on his chair with a sigh.

“… Of course she wouldn’t be online right now. What am I thinking…” Eri stares at the username “eva210”. Most of his interaction with human being is through internet and it has been like that forever since. He is most vulnarable when he deal directly with people, but he’s a happy-go-lucky guy online…

He spins around on his chair trying to kill sometime before the other person went online…

“I’m pathetic…”

 

 

 


hi.. thanks for reading. o____o