Finding the Flame

Control

The Seoul streets were just as busy as usual, the people walking by each other as they fought against a cold wind. They were bundled up in jackets of all sizes and colors, hands shoved deep in the pockets. Watching them pass a young blonde man leaned up against the wall of a coffee shop on the corner of a heavy trafficked area. He wore only a long sleeved black shirt that made others that glanced his way question his choice. The indifferent look on his face covered the impatient feeling that accompanied his irritation.

He let out a sigh before mumbling to himself under his breath, “Luhan…you can’t seriously expect me to wait here forever for some random guy…”

He flicked a couple fingers around, watching as a gust of wind passed through the walking people who shivered from it sneaking through their coats. He smirked to himself taking joy from what little fun he could have as he waited. Suddenly he felt like someone was squeezing his heart, the pain shooting through his entire body and causing him to fall to his knees. His vision blurred as he stared down at the sidewalk praying that he wouldn’t pass out right there.

“Are you ok?!” a deep voice asked.

The young man looked up to see another young man extending his hand out to him. The pain disappeared and he took the chance and let the other man help him up. His hand was very warm which probably explained why he was dressed in a light jacket over the heavier ones others wore.

“You should wear a jacket or stay inside if you’re not feeling well! Take care to not get sick!” the warm young man advised as he grinned from one ear to the other.

“You’re warm,” was the first thing to come out of his mouth.

“Ah? Oh, yeah I’ve always been a warm guy helps out with this kind of weather. You on the other hand aren’t so take care of your health,” he chuckled.

“Your name?”

The other young man was taken aback by the question but answered anyways, “Chanyeol.”

“I’m Sehun, we’ll meet again soon Chanyeol-si,” he told him before walking away.

Chanyeol watched him walk away baffled by this strange young man named Sehun. He ruffled his dark hair before shrugging and heading on his way again. He hadn’t planned on stopping and helping a random stranger so he hurried his stride, glad that his long legs helped him in these situations. He didn’t want to make his friend wait even if the walk was only five or so minutes away.

“Jongin-ah! Sorry to make you wait!” he exclaimed as he waved to his friend who waited for him out at a table in front of a café.

“You’re so loud!” Jongin laughed as he waved shyly to his friend.

“I have something interesting to tell you!” Chanyeol excitedly ran to sit over by his friend.

“Is it the reason why you’re wearing such a light jacket in this weather? I thought I told you no matter how warm you think you are you’ll still get sick with this cold,” Jongin reminded him before shivering himself.

“Ah, thanks for worrying about me but I’m ok really. I mean even with this sudden cold my body feels like its warmed up even more than usual, I feel like I’ll sweat if I wear anything heavier,” he responded with a toothy smile to his friend’s concern.

“I bet you have a fever and don’t even realize it,” his friend shook his head at the tall one’s words.

Jongin stood up before leaning over to place a hand on his friend’s forehead, checking his temperature. Chanyeol averted his eyes feeling shy at his friend’s touch, letting him do as he pleased.

“You’re really warm, but you don’t look or act sick…don’t make me worry about you, I don’t want to find out later you had to go to the hospital because you caught the flu!” his friend warned him as he sat back down in his seat. “Now tell me about this interesting thing.”

Chanyeol was touched by his friend knowing the slightly younger man was only like that to him out of love. He explained to him about his earlier encounter invoking head nods and a confused face from his friend.

“Weird kid, careful of strangers you never know who you’re helping out,” Jongin told his friend before getting up, “I’m going to get a coffee, do you want anything hyung?”

“Hot chocolate please,” he answered before waiting in his seat for his friend.

He felt a sudden chill go through his body as a draft of wind somehow made its way through his jacket.

“Chanyeol-shi I told you we’d meet soon,” the familiar playful voice whispered into his ear.

He jumped at the voice and turned to see Sehun and another person beside him. He wasn’t sure, but he guessed it was just a very pretty man standing beside him, his delicate features and smaller frame not helping him out standing next to the taller Sehun.

“What do you want?” Chanyeol asked, his eyes shifting to see if his friend was coming out soon.

“Pleased to meet you Chanyeol-shi, but it’s important that you listen to us and follow. We don’t have time to waste really,” the unknown man spoke.

“You really expect me to just follow some strangers?” he scoffed at their words.

“I don’t want to make a scene, but if you refuse to come with us we’ll have to get your friend involved as well. I’m sure you don’t want us to hurt your friend like this,” the unknown man nicely warned him before motioning to Sehun.

He stepped up and pointed a finger at Chanyeol who watched in confusion.  He smirked before flicking his finger and a sudden cutting wind went right by Chanyeol, slicing a small part of his cheek. Chanyeol jumped back, knocking over his chair as his eyes widened and he held a hand to his stinging cheek. His eyes darted from them to the café hoping Jongin was clueless waiting in line.

“Fine I’ll go but let’s make this quick,” he finally agreed even though he was unsure about these guys.

“Thank you,” the shorter one smiled before leading him off.

 

 

Chanyeol did as he promised and followed the two to a giant house that stood on top of a hill. He wondered if the remote location was where he was going to die at the hands of these dangerous strangers. He mentally started thinking of ways to escape without dying but he knew this was no action movie and he had little chance of action starring his way out of this place.

He was led into the house and down a flight of stairs that spiraled through darkness with little light on the walls. As they neared the end there was a blinding light that hurt his eyes. Once his eyes adjusted he became amazed at the sight. It was like as though he had stepped into a movie with the amount of technology everywhere.

“Am I on a pranking show? This can’t be real guys,” Chanyeol chuckled as he spun around.

“No, it’s real. This is Luhan’s place,” Sehun explained as the owner smiled at Chanyeol’s expression.

“It’s true this is my home. Here in this underground place is where I had trained to control my power,” Luhan explained.

“Power?” Chanyeol questioned as he remembered what happened earlier with his cheek.

“Yes, I have the power of Telekinesis,” he answered before pointing a finger towards Chanyeol.

He closed his eyes and suddenly Chanyeol felt his feet be lifted from the ground, his body being slowly brought up. He began to freak out but it didn’t last long as Luhan placed him gently back on the ground. He then turned to Sehun and looked at him expecting him to try something as well.

“Power of wind, but he’s not supposed to use it as much as possible,” Luhan explained as he walked on.

Chanyeol followed after him asking, “How come?”

“He hasn’t completely been able to control it yet. And the more he uses it without control the more likely he’ll end up like my friend,” he explained before walking over to a switch and flipping it.

Lights flipped on and Chanyeol turned to see a giant beautiful ice crystal, but when he looked closer he saw that there was a man within it. The man in the ice had his eyes closed, his arms wrapped around his body with a frown on his cute round face.

“Minseok was a dear friend of mine. He developed the power of frost, but one day he over did his powers and went out of control. He was devoured by his own power and thus now he is trapped in that ice. This is why I needed to find you Chanyeol, I need your fire to melt the ice around him,” Luhan explained.

“My fire? You must have me confused with someone else because I don’t have powers,” he denied shaking his head.

“Haven’t you noticed your body warming up lately? It’s just the start. Now that you’ve been exposed to us your powers will be pulled out at a faster rate. I bet even right now if you tried you could produce something,” Luhan commented.

“Careful not to burn the place down,” Sehun joked.

Luhan shot him a dirty look before giving Chanyeol the go ahead. He really wasn’t sure how to even start but he figured it wouldn’t hurt to humor him. He put his hand out in front of him and looked at his palm. He focused on it imagining a small fire coming out, but nothing came out.

“Focus your heat,” Luhan advised.

Doing as he was told he focused again on his palm, but this time he imagined the heat from all over his body moving towards his palm. His hand felt hotter and hotter before suddenly a flame engulfed his entire hand. He freaked out and shook his hand thinking that he was on fire, but then he realized that the fire on his hand wasn’t burning him. He stood in awe over it, the flame flickering around his fingers, but his skin remained unscathed.

“Look! I did it!” he exclaimed shoving his burning hand towards Sehun.

Sehun fell back as he snapped, “Just because it’s not burning you doesn’t mean it won’t burn me idiot!”

“He’s right, be careful especially since you barely just started, if you’re not careful you’ll end up like my friend. Once I feel like you can control it well enough I’ll have you try and melt the ice, right now I’m afraid you’d burn my friend alive if you tried,” Luhan told him as he went over to the ice and placed a hand on the cold surface.

His eyes looked longingly at the other man’s face that didn’t go unnoticed by Sehun and Chanyeol. The fire died out from Chanyeol’s hand once he focused hard enough to get it to go out. Luhan observed him closely as Sehun made his way over to his side.

“He has potential huh?” he whispered to Luhan.

“Yeah, it won’t be impossible to get Minseok out of there now that we have him. Just be careful though, with your uncontrollable wind and his uncontrollable fire if they come together we could have a lot of trouble on our hands. In the mean time we’ll train him here like I have with you,” Luhan responded back before walking towards Chanyeol, “In order to help you keep that under control I want you to come by here every day.”

He nodded his head in agreement knowing it would be best if he did as he was told. He didn’t quite understand everything, but he knew this young man had more knowledge than him about these powers. One thing he did understand though was that if he didn’t get his powers under control soon he’d end up like Luhan’s friend and he did not want that same fate.