00: Prologue

Serendipity

Papers in hand, and intent eyes scouring the finely printed sheets, the college counselor was thoroughly impressed. “Chaerin-yang your grades are exemplary. Especially your grades in English and Japanese, they’ll certainly give you an advantage in getting into a good university,” Placing the papers on her desk she shifted her attention to the female student poised in her seat.  “Did you need help with picking out a school?”  

Tucking a strand of blonde hair behind her ear, Chaerin smiled bashfully at the older woman’s gracious compliments. “Thank you seongsaeng-nim, but I already know where I want to go,” Unknowingly her face lit up at the mere thought of her dream school. “My goal has always been to attend Sogang University; do you think my marks are good enough to get me in?”

 Adjusting her glasses, the middle aged female pondered how she could get her next words across lightly. “Well Chaerin-yang, I can’t guarantee anything at the moment. While your marks do meet up to their entry requirements, there are also many others who have their eyes set on Sogang University —equally as ambitious and accomplished as you are— you’ll most likely be placed on their waiting list.”

As she had predicted, the expectant face of the student’s fell.  Heedless, she went on, “If you really wish to get in, you will have to ensure that you stand out.”

“How can I do that?”

“Besides academic achievements, top institutions like Sogang also look at the individual characters of their applicants. They’re partial towards those who take on leadership roles or have talents outside of academics. Chaerin-yang, were you part of any clubs or involved in any form of student government while you were in Japan?” 

Shaking her head, Chaerin realized her own short-sightedness. Overlooking anything that didn’t help put her at the top of her classes, she recalled how she would toss out the handout sheets for afterschool clubs straightaway believing her time would be better spent at home studying.  

The counselor hummed, “And you didn’t join any afterschool clubs this year?” She waited for the younger girl to nod in response before continuing on. “Well, this makes things slightly more difficult. It’s already April now, the club registration deadline has already passed and the positions for student council have already been filled.”

Tapping her forefinger against her temple, the bespectacled female contemplated earnestly. Reaching no resolution, she expressed her sympathy, “I’m sorry, Chaerin-yang but I don’t think I can help you. You’ll have to look outside school for any opportunities. Perhaps, I could help you with your second choice? Did you maybe have a second university in mind?”

Dejected from the turn of events, Chaerin no longer had the spirit to proceed with the session. “It’s alright, that won’t be necessary. Sorry seongsaeng-nim, but I would like to leave now,” she was surprised herself how defeated she sounded. Pushing her discontent aside, she composed herself, “But thank you for your time seongsaeng-nim, I really appreciate it.”

Picking up her bag from the chair beside her, the female student stood up and sincerely bowed towards her senior. The counselor nodded accordingly, watching as the girl wordlessly pushed in her chair before leaving the office, closing the door gently behind her.

The sole occupant of the modest office let out a small sigh, frustrated that she had failed to aid the disheartened girl. Returning the transcripts into their designated folder she opened her desk drawer planning to store the records away when her eyes rested on the foremost file. In a brief instant she was bolting out of her seat, rushing towards the door; the contents of the latter file bringing forth the resurgence of a forgotten conversation. Swiftly opening the door she stepped out in to the hallway, her eyes catching sight of the distinctive blonde hair of the female student. She called out to her before she could make further distance.

Startled by the sound of her name, Chaerin turned around. Confusion washed over her as she spotted the college counselor standing by her office door, her lips stretched into a great smile. As the counselor hastily made her ways towards her, the high school student could only wonder what news the older female had to share, a flicker of optimism rising in her chest.  

“Chaerin-yang, I just remembered something,” the senior huffed as she stood in front of her, a bit breathless from her brisk jog and overflowing excitement. “I was talking to the coach of the boys’ basketball team the other day and it seems as if they are still looking for a manager!”

“Boys’ basketball team?” she repeated.


AN:  Blahh, I haven't written anything in years and this is more difficult than I thought. I realize this chapter is really boring  and quite terrible, but I needed a quick way to set up the plot. I am diligently working on the next chapter and I should be able to post it up in the next few days. Btw, Sogang University is a real school in Seoul, CL's father is a physics professor there. I did some quick research and it turns out it's a pretty prestigious institution. But for this story I'm only using it's name, everything else is fictitious. 

Hehe, I see some of you would like popular pairings like  Chaekris or Chae/Suho. I like them too. But who knows what I'll write. I think this is a good oppurtunity to introduce some fresh ones, but I'll certainly keep all your suggestions in mind! And yeshhh CHAEXO!!  I believe all the other 2NE1 members except for Chae have fics where they are shipped with all the EXO members, so that was one of the reasons I decided to write this. I hope that I can start a trend of Chaexo fics, muhahaha. And finally, thank you for all the support so far!  I can't gurantee that this fic will be any good, but I will work hard!