II - Argente

Rouge

Middle school Jongin learns 'stuff' about powers.

Like how he's going to develop them in his late puberty and how he's going to have to cooperate with them for the rest of his life.

Like how every power is connected to an element - or more than one - and how every element belongs to the Earth.

And how you don't necessarily inherit them from your parents or relatives.

Basic stuff.



High school Jongin learns other 'stuff' about his powers.

His doctor tells him that his powers are different. He's not directly connected to the Earth or to any of its elements (this saddens him but he's a grown man and real men don't sniffle in front of people) and just a few develop the powers he has (this, this makes him proud, yes, and if you’re wondering he's still not sniffling).

"Doctors are still studying and researching about detached powers and how these powers affect who owns them," Jongin's doctor tells him "but I can tell you how they work."

The doctor sits in front of Jongin with papers and documents in her hands. Jongin lightens up about the statement.

"It's wrong to say that detached powers aren't connected to the Earth," the doctors explains and Jongin listens attentively because school doesn't teach essential things like how to pay bills or how to open a bank account or, in this case, why are my powers sending me in random places, what if I end up in the North Pole, I don't wanna face a polar bear anytime soon.

"At least not how your friend Sehun's or mine are," she continues. "Elements emanate strength. For example, Sehun absorbs the particles of strength sent out by oxygen, which in turn comes from trees and he's somehow connected to both air and earth. He absorbs those particles but when they start to weigh him down he needs to let them go, be it through his powers or another form of energy.”

"People can release particles just how a flower can. Or fire," she starts playing with a lighter and the flame gets bigger and bigger in her hand. Jongin leans back a little, remembering that time Chanyeol almost lit the gym’s storage room on fire. He gulps.

"Detached powers get strength from people. There are tons of people on this planet and you can get your strength from anyone, from me too," she smiles.

“That’s why your powers are still unstable. You’re growing and your mind needs to get used to these large amounts of different energies people radiate. I can promise you you’ll be able to control that energy sooner than you are thinking. However –” before continuing the flame in the palm of her hand slowly dies and Jongin visibily relax, “no one knows what you could do with them. Bonding with people – being connected to people – is different from being connected to the Earth. If you’re really close to someone both physically and mentally, the connection gets stronger and the amount of energy released increases exponentially. You don’t simply absorb particles of energy anymore– you might be able to get a glimpse of their thoughts and emotions, your mood can be affected – you could feel extremely happy one second and terribly angry the next. You could be able to know how a person is feeling even if they’re far away from you or you could have these abrupt outbursts of power and teleport even if you don’t want to.”

“Abilities vary from person to person. I can’t tell you what’ll happen nor I can stop your powers from developing but I’m here if you need any kind of advice.”

She pats Jongin on the head affectionately when he frowns and pouts like a little kid after his first shot.

 

He can’t help but notice how the tips of her fingers are cold despite her powers.

 

 

 

“Wow, I have a damn cool best friend,” Sehun says, patting Jongin on the shoulder. Jongin’s resting in his usual position, head and arms sprawled on the table in tiredness – or just laziness.

Yesterday he went to the doctor and he’s still thinking about what she said to him.

And he’s mad. Like, really, really mad.

 

Why were his powers different? Why did it have to be so complicated when all he ever wanted was to go out with Kyungsoo, date him, marry him, buy a house together, raise dogs together and. Graduate. Maybe.

He only wanted a normal life. Normal powers, normal everything.

He never signed up for these long assed periods of nausea, headaches and oh, wait a second, is that Do Kyungsoo, I’m just gonna teleport away from here because he emanates to much energy and I still can’t store that much.

Yes and your damn cool best friend’s gonna learn how to read your mind very soon so you better start thinking about teletubbies and puppies instead of a certain ,” Jongin grumbles, his voice muffled in his wrinkled uniform.

Sehun kicks him in the shin, earning a painful whimper from Jongin before resting his feet on the chair next to his best friend’s one. He grins evilly, clearly not sorry at all.

“Wow. You’ve got guts, teletubbies are fricking scary. They have a television implanted on their tummies. A tv.”

Jongin sighs but doesn’t move.

“Anyway, why do we always end up talking about ? Are you that frustrated Jonginnie~?”
Sehun chuckles but freezes quickly when he hears Jongin mumbling something very, very relevant to his interests.


“I already asked Kyungsoo out.”



Sehun blinks. Maybe he got that wrong.



“You what?”

“We went out the other day when you invited Junmyeon over. It’s been my first kind-of-not- really date and – I swear –Oh Sehun, you’re so embarrassing. You ruined it. We could hear everything from Kyungsoo’s room.”

Sehun just blinks a couple of times more.

“I asked Kyungsoo if he was bothered by those noises you were making but do you know what he answered. Do. You. ing. Know?”

“He blushed and said he’s getting used to it and he usually moves to another room when it happens.”

Jongin lifts his head, hair ruffled, an annoyed – or maybe sleepy – expression on his face and starts throwing menacing daggers-like glares at Sehun. Sehun blinks again.

“And then he stood up, all flustered, held my hand and said he knew a really good place where we could buy gelato. That. Was the cutest reaction I’ve ever assisted to.”

Jongin changes expression abrubtly and smiles dreamily instead. He forgets every insane thought about Sehun, replacing them with ‘Kyungsoo doing cute stuff’ while his best friend sits still in front of him, half paralyzed.


What the .


You talked to Kyungsoo,” is what Sehun says before dashing out of the classroom in what seems like disbelief.

Jongin sighs happily, not caring about the other boy.

And, for the first time, he doesn’t care when he opens his eyes and finds himself splayed on his house’s rooftop either, cooing pigeons and everything.


 

 

 

 

It’s still hard for Jongin to talk to Kyungsoo.

He can’t believe he can now approach him and greet him with the hugest smile plastered on his face without disappearing or feeling those annoying butterflies in his stomach.
And even though he already crossed ‘step number one’ on his to do list, whenever he sees Kyungsoo in the hallways he panics and hides behind his locker, looking like a dumber version of an ostrich.

And maybe those butterflies never left (never will).

“Hello,” Kyungsoo would usually greet him (because Jongin’s hideout only works to a certain extent) and Jongin would wonder why does he have to be that stupid and shy when Kyungsoo’s there in all his prettiness and wants to talk to Jongin, probably hold his hand too because he’s a touchy-feely person by nature and lean a little bit closer to Jongin when he talks because… he doesn’t know but what’s personal space anyway.

“Good morning hyung,” Jongin would respond before he gets too dizzy to formulate coherent sentences and before Kyungsoo actually grabs his hand. He can feel the energy flowing from Kyungsoo’s body to his now and, next time, he needs to remember to ask the doctor if it’s possible to get drunk from absorbing too much energy or if it’s just Kyungsoo who is particularly intoxicating.


 

They somehow fit together even though Jongin’s legs threaten to give away more often than not and Kyungsoo blushes whenever Jongin starts staring absent-mindedly at the other.



Kyungsoo ends up asking Jongin if he wants to come to his house later that evening since his parents are celebrating their anniversary and they’ll be spending the weekend away, leaving Kyungsoo on his own.

Jongin doesn’t like an all alone Kyungsoo (especially after that Sehun incident) and Kyungsoo had him on his knees at the I can cook part anyway so he accepts immediately.

(Another random fact about Kyungsoo: it’s not possible to tell him no.)

 

 

As soon as Jongin knocks on the door he hears stumbling and objects knocked over coming from the other side.

“Hello again,” Kyungsoo opens the door, out of breath and hair disheveled and greets Jongin a second time that day, smiling all the while. He lets the other in and excuses himself for the mess before leading them to the kitchen, Jongin focusing on the petite figure in front of him. His heart skips a beat.

“I’m starving,” Jongin says to cover the grumbling of his stomach (or just the endless fluttering of those butterflies, Jongin isn’t sure) and Kyungsoo answers enthusiastically with a “let’s begin then!” with another loud grumble coming from his own stomach too (not butterflies, Kyungsoo doesn’t have butterflies inside his stomach, Jongin is sure).


Jongin turns around to admire the black and white furnishing, the only colorful exceptions being a couple of containers and tools placed on the counters and the red pot on the dining table, containing a tall and proud sunflower. Last time, Kyungsoo didn’t have the time to show Jongin around so everything’s pretty new to him and Jongin has to admit he feels a little bit uneasy in new places.

He tentatively steps forward trying not to take up too much space and being invasive at the same time and, as he finishes thinking about how he feels so out of place (and hungry), he turns around to catch the other boy rolling his sleeves up to his elbows and, just. No. For ing’s sake, no.

Stop being so unfair, Jongin wants to cry.

Of course, Kyungsoo had to wear only his white school shirt and a pair of black sweatpants to make everything more difficult to handle. Of course, he really needed to look so comfy and soft and overall even more perfect in Jongin’s eyes. And, of course, he had to catch Jongin staring only to flash him that sweet, shy smile right after.

Of course.

Of course.

But, if he has to think about it now, why did he feel so out of place when Kyungsoo’s presence is so reassuring to begin with.


 

 

“What do you wanna eat?” Kyungsoo asks Jongin before biting his lower lip unconsciously. Here we go once again.

“You–“ Jongin stops for a moment, thinking about ways to kick himself in the crotch.

“Your favourite. I don’t… mind. I like everything and I also eat a lot. So, let’s just eat your favourite food?” he looks down embarrassed, in part because he’s a little bit (very) self-conscious, in part because he almost admitted he wanted to eat him (don’t investigate) and in part because he sees Kyungsoo shining so bright it hurts.

And Kyungsoo immediatly starts shining brighter, blinding Jongin.

 

 

They end up making pizza. The result is them covered in flour and spatters of tomato sauce and an overbaked pizza with too much cheese on top.

But Jongin had fun. They both had fun, Jongin could feel Kyungsoo’s emotions floating around before settling on his skin. It was a more than a pleasant sensation.

 

“You still have tomato on your cheek,” Kyungsoo says while giggling.

They’re sitting in the living room doing their homework, an almost burnt- but still delicious pizza devoured and the tv showing one of those evening’s never ending soap operas when Jongin feels like he’s going to explode in a matter of five seconds or less if Kyungsoo decides to get any closer to him than he already is.

It was Jongin’s fault to begin with, whining and sighing and squirming on his cushion because in his entire life he never understood how the English language worked, wasn’t going to understand the next day or in the near future either.

He was biting his pencil when Kyungsoo noticed and asked him if he needed any help with it. Jongin nodded, already showing his hyung his book and what he was trying to solve. But Kyungsoo just ended up getting closer, pressing his thigh against Jongin’s, body heat and prickles of energy making him dizzy and oh.

Did Jongin ever mention Kyungsoo smells really good.

 

Immediately after the elder’s statement, Jongin snaps out of his trance and tries to clean his face with his hand, only to end up smearing the offending tomato sauce just under his jaw.

Kyungsoo keeps watching, his wide eyes on Jongin aren’t helping and there’s always that high possibility he’s going to teleport away because Kyungsoo involuntarily keeps sending him particle after particle of energy (and his heart doesn’t want to slow down a little bit).

“G-good?” Jongin stutters, avoiding Kyungsoo’s inquiring eyes as much as he can.

Kyungsoo shakes his head no and gets a napkin to clean the younger properly. He wipes the sauce away, oblivious of the fact that heart shaped fireworks are exploding inside Jongin’s body and all those sparks burn but thrill him in spite of everything. Because this is Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo’s fine, his energy’s the most wonderful energy Jongin will ever be willing to absorb.

 

Jongin’s moments away from losing the control he has on his powers when he catches Kyungsoo frowning, before folding the napkin neatly on the floor.

And, all of a sudden, Jongin has the urge to bite his bottom lip. He always does it out of habit, when he’s nervous or when he’s focused on something but this time is completely different.

He feels like he’s been affected by another person’s desire and, surprisingly, he doesn’t take long to realize what it is.

 

I shouldn’t.


Jongin flinches.

 

He doesn’t know if he prefers being paranoid or being able to read people’s minds (or if he’s paranoid and there are voices inside his head because he’s paranoid and he hears Kyungsoo’s voice because he’s especially paranoid about him). He just doesn’t know but it doesn’t matter anyway, he keeps hearing low kind-of whispers of –
 

Can I kiss him?

What would he think of me?

I can’t. I can’t, I can’t, I can’t.

Hoodies look good on him. He always looks good. And stop thinking about kissing him, Do Kyungsoo.

Would he look good without clothes too?

WOAH, ABORT, ABORT, ABORT.

 

–  And Jongin flushes. The flush reaches the tips of his ears and – maybe – his brain’s surface too because he’s suddenly grabbing Kyungsoo’s wrist and the elder automatically snaps out of his thoughts, looking like a really cute puppy caught doing something he wasn’t supposed to do.

Jongin slowly releases his wrist when he feels the other’s uneasy emotions, only to gather the courage to grab his hand. He holds it gently and Kyungsoo relax, giving a light squeeze of his own because he still likes touching Jongin’s skin (and now Jongin understands why – perhaps – he isn’t sure but – still –).

 

 

He’s not sure what he should do now. He remembers when he planned to get married with Kyungsoo, when he planned to take him to the Disneyland and spoil him every day of his life.

 

He never planned how to actually start their relationship.


And since the situation won’t get any worse anyway, he swallows and blurts out a –



“D-do you know what I think? Of you?”



Kyungsoo shakes his head and can his eyes get any wider than that.

 

Jongin leans a little bit closer to press their thighs together once again and lowers his face towards Kyungsoo’s.

 

“I think. I think you still have… flour on your lips?” and he closes the distance between them, releasing a shaky breath when Kyungsoo holds onto his hoodie, pushing his lips back firmly against Jongin’s soft pair.

 

 

 

 

 

“Jonginnie.”


“Yeah?”

“Are these pigeons?”

“…Yes?”

“And… the stars. They’re so pretty tonight.”

“…”

“Jonginnie.”

“…Yes hyung?”

 

“How did we end up here, on… your house’s rooftop?”

 

“Ah, yeah… Have I ever told you about my powers?”






a/n: i'M SORRY IF THIS BUT I DIDN'T WANT IT TO BE ALL FLUFF AND AWKWARD KAISOO SO I JUST TRIED TO GIVE IT A PLOT BUT IT TURNED OUT TO BE REALLY LAME SO I'M SORRY

ALSO I'M SORRY, THIS IS NOT BETAed AND I SHOULD PROBABLY GO TO SLEEP SO ;_;

and thanks for the lovely comments ♥ ♥