I

Rouge

Ok, so, before everyone starts judging and pointing their finger, there are some things to explain.
Actually, Kim Jongin doesn't know how to explain the situation he's in right now. He never meant to run away from his middle school (and high school and probably college and the rest of his life) crush, finding himself bumping into his best friend one moment and up on the rooftop of his house, next to a pair of pigeons that looked at him with their head tilted sideways, the moment later.


He sits there and hiccups quietly as he tries to find a comfortable position for his .

"Why is it happening to me?” he whines, throwing random glances at the curious birds.


He should have got used during those past three months (yes, it started three months ago and Jongin doesn't, in any way, want to remember the first time it happened, thank you very much) of this strange, super-fast, travelling thing, but every time it happens it feels like the first.
And almost every time, he ends up watching the sky sitting on the hard tiles of his house's rooftop.


He's not sure if he likes it or not. Jongin likes reading comics, that's sure, and super heroes are ing cool, he's always thought, but he only feels stupid. And dumb. And awkward. Because he doesn't have any control over these... powers.


He's not insinuating he turned out to be a super hero himself because doesn't happen ok. At least not in this world. He's just different from every teenager his age. Still have to understand if it's 'bad' different or 'good' different.
While his friends managed to control their powers around a week after the symptoms kicked in, like his best friend Sehun did - and Jongin's not envious, at all - he was still stuck there, his summer holidays spent not knowing what he should've done to stop these abrupt changes of place.

 

Especially when Do Kyungsoo was near.
 


He tried asking his mom since he seemed to have inherited this strange power from her (his father was similar to Sehun and they did get along well, too well to Jongin's dismay). She could control shadows, like puppet masters could do with their puppets, and Jongin swears she's scary as hell when he manages to make her angry over something he did. Like when she steps on Jongin's shadow on the floor to stop him from leaving the kitchen during her lecture and he feels his blood freeze because in those times he can't even blink an eye.
"Everything is controlled by your mind, Jonginnie," her mother says while continuing preparing dinner for her pack, as she likes to call her family, considering how much they eat, "and everything's normal if you think about how hormones like acting up at your age. You're still 16, your powers will settle down eventually."


Jongin sighs, resting his head on the table in a resigned way.

He wipes his nose on his sleeve.

He'll sort everything out. Maybe.

 
 
 
 
"It's been a while since the last time, don't you think dear?"

"It's only been two days, not a year, honey"

"Yes but I wanted you to notice that our Jonginnie is indeed making progre-"

"WHY DO I ALWAYS END UP HERE!!!!! AND MY FAVOURITE HERO'S BATMAN, HE DOESN'T HAVE SUPER POWERS!!!!! SUPER POWERS !!!!!"

"... What did you say, honey?"

"... at least he's not blaming that guy's again."
 
 
 
 
Jongin is 16 and he's at home showering after an afternoon of intense dance practice, scrubbing away all the dirt and stress accumulated in three hours of exercising, when he doesn't feel the warm water pouring over his head anymore.
The second he opens his eyes he finds instead his father and his sister sitting on the couch, not watching the tv anymore, with their mouths hanging open.
Her sister shrieks and throws the remote at him.
 
 
 
"No Jongin, I think you're missing the point here," Sehun laughs openly in Jongin's face, "it'll never be not funny! Is your sister still shocked after having to assist at little Nini in all its glory?"
Jongin chokes on his coke and doesn't apologize when he notices he's spat some coke on Sehun's uniform too.
"You're the one missing the point here! It's been three months and you're still laughing over this," he counters, not giving a damn if Sehun's shirt's now stained, rich kid can buy a new one the same day anyway, "instead of helping me out!"

"I've already helped you though," Sehun calmly buttons his jacket to cover the stains, still chuckling, "I think it's your ring ding dong's fault. Why would you end up on the top of a building every time you make eye contact with Do Kyungsoo?"

Jongin whines. It's not a manly thing to do but lets the thought slip because he's talking with Sehun and he's his annoying and spoiled best friend. He can allow himself to be all whiny and childish around him.

"Because you can obviously blow wind with your... , right. Almost forgot it. I wonder how Junmyeon hyung would react to that," Jongin chuckles seeing Sehun choking on his coke too, his ears and cheeks becoming red.
"Ok, ok, you win! It's not Jongin junior's fault! Are you happy?", and this time the one sighing exasperatedly is Sehun. He looks at Junmyeon who’s sitting across the classroom with Tao and Yixing, checking if he's heard anything.

“But, seriously Jongin, you’re fussing too much. Plus, your power’s dope and as soon as you learn how it works Kyungsoo’s gonna be all over you,” he winks and leaves so he can finally eat his lunch peacefully, waving dumbly at Junmyeon who kindly smiles back in return.

Everyone makes it seem so easy, Jongin thinks picking at the vegetables his mom forces him to eat, for your health, she says. He doesn’t know if he feels nauseous because he hates broccoli or because of love-struck Sehun.
He stands up planning to go ask Yixing if he can do something about this nausea but then he realizes that it’s not his stomach. It’s his brain playing pranks on him and he wonders if he should go to the hospital instead, asking if they replaced his brain with someone else’s when he was a kid.

Jongin sighs – it seems he does it frequently – and opts to go to the school’s courtyard. Some fresh air won’t worsen his nausea any further.
 

 


 
A random fact about Do Kyungsoo: he’s Sehun’s neighbour.
 
Jongin knows. In fact he spends half of his free time at Sehun’s, playing videogames or just doing homework (he might look the opposite but he’s quite smart), all the while Sehun mocks him about his crush and how Jongin doesn’t have the courage to go talk to him when he could jump from the window and reach Kyungsoo’s bedroom anytime. The two houses are that close, yes.

And it’s not that Jongin doesn’t have the courage to talk to him. They… talked this one time when Jongin dropped his books in the school’s corridor and Kyungsoo was the only one still around and when he noticed and started walking towards him Jongin waited. It was the cue for his powers to make him disappear (and maybe teleport him on the rooftop, just ing why on the rooftop. Every. Single. Time.) but it didn’t happen. He just stood there, his head bent down, sweating because it was strangely hot in the school not because he was nervous, ok.

Kyungsoo approached and knelt in front of Jongin, helping him picking up his books scattered on the floor and between his hands are so white, they look so soft  and holy ing is this tachycardia, Kyungsoo said, “You’re Jongin, right? Sehun’s friend?”

And while Jongin tried to recover from the initial shock and because his heart stopped – or maybe he fell a little bit more in love with Kyungsoo – hearing his melodious voice from such a close proximity, he blurted out a “Y-yeah,” feeling his voice crack at the end but not the powers building up inside his body.
“I’m Kyungsoo,” Jongin wanted to scream ‘I KNOW’ really loud, “I live next to Sehun. You can touch my balcony’s railing if you stretch your arm enough. From Sehun’s room, I mean…”

Kyungsoo cleared his throat, he seemed almost embarrassed and Jongin didn’t want to point that out because he already looked terribly cute like that, he feared he might have died from too much cuteness if Kyungsoo started blushing.

So he stood up, his books held safely this time. Say something smart, Jongin, impress hi- whatever, say something for god’s sake!, his thoughts yelled at him. This was his chance to finally become friends with Kyungsoo and Jongin could be stubborn at times, get mad at himself when he messed up his dance routine or when he couldn’t hold back his powers. Because of that and because he didn’t want to mess  this up, never wanted to mess things up with Kyungsoo if they ever happened to become friends, he took a deep breath.
 “Yeah, I… know. And I kinda noticed,” I’ve always noticed you, “that your homes are pretty close… it’s f-funny?”
 
What the hell did I just say, Jongin thought or maybe muttered because Kyungsoo was now flashing that heart shaped smile of his and , Jongin was going to die after all.
Perhaps things weren’t going that smoothly but he liked- loved Kyungsoo’s smile and everything else didn’t matter.


Kyungsoo left leaving him with the promise of see you around and we could hang out sometimes and Jongin couldn’t be any happier than that.

Except.

You know, stuff. Powers, mostly.


 
He wanted to talk to him, hear his soothing voice once again – hell – tell him how beautiful he was and hold his hand and take him on a date and know if he liked gelato and what his favorite flavor was and and and

Kiss him. Definitely kiss him. He deemed Kyungsoo very kissable.

However. Nothing goes as planned (don’t say anything, Jongin’s going through his pessimistic phase), and.

Powers.

Rooftops.

You already know the story by now.
 
 
He crouches in front of the beautiful flowerbed the school has in the courtyard. Jongin couldn’t distinguish all the flowers planted. He only knew daisies, roses and tulips. And daisies (did he say roses?). And that they were all so pretty and colorful. They reminded him of Kyungsoo.
 He sighs for the umpteenth time that day and he slowly feels the nausea finally leaving him, the scent of the flowers magically healing him.

“What should I do,” he whispers thinking how it’s already Fall and how all these beautiful colors are going to dissipate soon.
That’s when he feels something tapping his shoulder and turns around to see no one. Oh yeah, now I’m hallucinating, he thinks bitterly but then he feels another tap tap and turns around faster this time, hoping to catch who it is.

The third time he shriek- emits a very loud and manly noise when he sees what it is (sounds better).

It’s the tree. The big weeping willow was standing there like every tree does, what are trees supposed to do? Right?
 

His eyes almost pop out of his sockets when one of its branches curls around Jongin’s arm and at the same time he feels yet another tap on his shoulder. But this time when he turns around there’s someone standing there. And he is enjoying the scene in front of him, apparently, if the loud laugh is any indication.

“It can be a prankster when it wants to,” the guy, Kyungsoo, explains, out of breath from too much laughing.

Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo.

Well.

Since Jongin doesn’t understand, too dizzy because – the tree and now Kyungsoo and wow, his powers are ditching him again - Kyungsoo goes on, “this big guy here it’s my… first achievement. And friend,” he crouches next to Jongin seeing he is still confused, his arm kept still by the tree’s branch.

“Achievement?,” Jongin repeats and Kyungsoo just nods.

“Look,” the shorter boy says, putting his hands in an empty spot in front of him, on the damp ground where all the flowers are planted.

Jongin’s still confused but then a faint green light starts flowing through Kyungsoo’s hands and something – a sprout make its way out of the soil, until it starts growing and growing, green leaves and thorns sprouting from the stem.
And then it stops.

Jongin is fascinated. Utterly fascinated by that. Kyungsoo created a rose. A beautiful crimson red rose.
He stares incredulously at what Kyungsoo just did. His heart hammers furiously in his chest.
 

He’s in too deep.
 

“You must be thinking how lame this is,” Kyungsoo says not looking at Jongin but Jongin’s staring at him intently and he could see a sad smile taking place of the previous, radiant one and he doesn’t like that.


“This is not lame,” he blurts out quickly, to cheer Kyungsoo up. “This is anything but lame. It’s…” and Kyungsoo turns around, looking at Jongin with his wide and round eyes and how unfair is that.

“… beautiful. It’s… I don’t know, the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen and it’s just beautiful.”

It fits you so well, this kind of power, he wanted to add but stops when he notices Kyungsoo’s eyes getting even bigger than usual before abruptly changing to a pair of crescent, smiling his trademark smile, the one Jongin falls for over and over and over.

Jongin turns around to stare at the weeping willow that doesn't want to let his arm free and Kyungsoo keeps laughing as soon as he notices Jongin’s annoyed face.

Kyungsoo leans towards Jongin and when he turns around again he almost screams at how close Kyungsoo is now. But that doesn’t last. Kyungsoo pats Jongin’s arm – more like the branch around it – affectionately and whispers a soft could you let go? Jongin’s not used to you, and the branch disentangles itself from around Jongin’s arm, resting in its original position.

“Pocahontas,” Jongin mumbles and yet again Kyungsoo hears him and starts laughing, grabbing Jongin’s arm to balance himself. He was laughing really hard (and Jongin was falling harder).

“You need to meet my raccoon friend,” Kyungsoo wipes away the tears forming in the corner of his eyes and yes, I want to meet your raccoon and I really want to be your John Smith too, Jongin wants to reply. Or maybe not. That would be awkward.
Instead he goes with “I’d like that. So, umh...” he scratches the back of his neck to relieve the tension and to try to scrub the impending blush away, “are you free this afternoon? After school? I was thinking to go to Sehun’s house but I think he has other plans and I don’t really want to be the third wheel…”

And wow, if Kyungsoo thinks his own powers are lame, what would he think of this?

He tries to rephrase everything but Kyungsoo stops him to say “Yeah, I’m. Yeah,” looking anywhere but Jongin. A flush creeps up to his neck and covers the tips of his ears. Jongin wants to squeal at how cute that is and how Kyungsoo just accepted to go out with him but he restrains himself, coughing awkwardly. He’s a cool guy.
 
“So, see you later I guess?” Kyungsoo continues and his ears match the rose’s deep red color now.
Then he leans up, resting his hands on Jongin’s shoulders and.

Wait.

A.

Second.


Jongin feels Kyungsoo’s breath on his cheek, the thump thump of his heart, or Kyungsoo’s or maybe both, beating loudly, his cold nose brushing against Jongin’s skin and.

Then he stops.

He doesn’t kiss him but he doesn’t move away either and Jongin doesn’t understand so he rests his hands on Kyungsoo’s hips, gripping lightly as if to say it’s ok, to reassure him.
“Ok,” Kyungsoo breathes moving his hand from Jongin’s shoulder to his neck and Jongin almost flinches at how cold his hand is but he still stands still.

Kyungsoo doesn’t pull away immediately. He kisses Jongin but keeps his mouth planted on his cheek for a moment more than usual and when he does let go of Jongin he lets out the sigh of relief he was holding back.

Jongin’s already addicted and he’s trying his hardest to not crush their mouths together. But he’s a gentleman. He’d never do that to begin with.

He opts to hold Kyungsoo’s hands instead, rubbing them together to heat them up and Kyungsoo looks at him with his sparkling eyes and.
 
[CONFIRMED] Jongin will never get used to anything Kyungsoo does. (cr. Jongin)

“You’re cold,” Jongin says and gets his jacket off, putting it on Kyungsoo’s shoulders instead. Kyungsoo was ready to protest.
“You can return it later, ok?” Jongin gives his hands one last squeeze before he lets go.

“Yes… Yes. Definitely,” and Kyungsoo leaves smiling and Jongin feels a burst of energy and happiness inside he thinks he has tiny pink hearts flowing out of him like in those shoujo anime.
 

And when he sees Kyungsoo’s leaving a sparkling trail of fresh grass and colorful flowers on the ground behind him as he walks away, Jongin thinks Kyungsoo must be at least a little bit happy too.