Part III

Gimmick Game

Baekhyun talks animatedly next to Sehun, repeating everything Luhan told him the day before. He starts with how Luhan turns into a grinning creepy monster as he eyes his prey and Baekhyun enumerates all the lovelydescriptions he could give about Luhan's dark evil plan. They walk side by side in the corridor to the music room, Baekhyun's mouth not taking any rest from all the exaggerated stories he could come up with, the what if’s regarding Luhan's bold competitiveness.

"And then, what if he actually does it with the captain of the baskbetball team?" He finishes off with a dramatic gasp. He looks up at Sehun who takes a look at him for the first time.

Sehun brings his fingers to his ear and surprisingly plucks out his earphones.

"Hey, did you say something?"

Baekhyun regrets not bringing his breadknife from the morning's breakfast at that moment.

He ignores Sehun and walks straight to the door instead. Sehun is left with a scrunched up face from Baekhyun's sudden weird behavior.

They are greeted by a handful of students in the room.

Sehun nods his head over to the side when he finds his dance crew sprawled at a corner.

Usually, the music room is used as the events meeting room for performers, and today is any other normal day. Another meeting for the upcoming schoolyear-ender event.

Sehun has just waved at Yixing when he feels a grip on his left arm followed by a tiny squeak. The approaching tall figure helps him figure out who just grabbed him.

"Hey Sehun." The natural deep voice greets him and Sehun just stands there awkwardly.

"Uh... hey Chanyeol."

Unlike Luhan, Sehun is aware of Baekhyun's total avoidance of the giant in front of him.

Chanyeol looks past Sehun and a smile immediately radiates his face.

"Hi Baekhyun."

Sehun hears a little curse behind him and it's obvious that his hiding on Sehun's back isn't that effective. He feels a little movement from behind him but no one responds.

"Baek." Sehun turns him around and Baekhyun pretends to have been surprised. He unplugs his earphones, Sehun's ones just earlier, and looks up.

"Oh hey." Baekhyun's eye contact doesn't even linger for a second on Chanyeol before he fakes interest on a group rehearsing an acapella song.

"You're participating in the event?" Chanyeol doesn't seem to take notice of Baekhyun's indifference, as always. He walks to him and smiles happily at the thought of him and Baekhyun working for the same event. It just makes him happy.

"Uh- I still don't know." Baekhyun lies.

"Why not? I think it will be great to, it's our final event anyway." Chanyeol scratches his head a little, comfortably talking with Baekhyun.

Sehun watches them closely. He doesn't really understand why Baekhyun is determined to avoid Chanyeol, he's a nice guy. In his opinion, he isn't as annoying as Baekhyun describes him to be.

"Well..." Baekhyun trails off. He just wants to escape the conversation already. Instead, he only shrugs.

Chanyeol laughs. Baekhyun looks up at him with a glare but is taken by surprise when Chanyeol rubs the top of his head, messing his hair a bit.

"Blonde looks really good on you." He compliments him, a light shade of pink coloring his cheeks as he said it. He laughs at himself a little again.

"I hope you do join." The sincerity in Chanyeol's voice is suffocating Baekhyun. He almost jumps back at his touch but he stands steadily on his spot, maintaining his straight face.

"I'll try."

I'll try?! Baekhyun mentally slaps himself. He could have come up with a colder answer, he could have just ignored him as well. Baekhyun considers his annoyance at him to be the reason why he still bothers to answer him.

"Alright. I'll see you later~"

Chanyeol pats him on the shoulder before giving him another of his warm smile. He slowly walks away to his band members and they immediately engage in a serious talk.

Sehun raises his brows at Baekhyun's previous behavior.

"Ew. Can't you just tell him I don't want to see him later." Baekhyun whines to him. "Or ever."

"Why don't you tell him that yourself then?"

Baekhyun side-eyes Sehun.

"No thanks, I'm allergic to giants." He scoffs and goes to talk to the producer of the show about his participation.

Sehun unknowingly smiles at his friend. There's something he seems to have found out that Baekhyun doesn't know... yet.








"So... about the dare." Baekhyun opens it up while they walk back to the parking lot where Luhan's waiting for them.

"Hm?" Sehun walks with his hands inside his pockets.

"Are you really serious?" Baekhyun runs a hand on his blonde curls before tightening his grip on his backpack.

"Well, why not?" Sehun answers nonchalantly.

Baekhyun's steps halt as he stares at Sehun's still moving figure.

"Is there someone you like you haven't been telling us?"

Sehun stops walking too. He looks back at Baekhyun who's looking at him questioningly.

"I mean, you sound like it's not going to be a problem. Now I wonder if you're in a secret relationship or something." Baekhyun chuckles at his silliness, knowing it's not true. Sehun hasn't mentioned anyone to them anyway.

"Do I look like someone who can't catch a good fish?" Sehun raises a brow mockingly.

"Right." Baekhyun grins. The thought of Sehun secretly liking someone is really unlikely of him. Usually, it's the other way around. Sehun's the most liked one among them. It's just that Baekhyun's admirers are more vocal about it.

"You know, if we're serious about this dare, we should be moving. Luhan's already got his target. You know how competitive he is. Plus, graduation's not so far away."

It isn't a surprise anymore.

"Aren't you one step ahead of us?" Sehun teases.

Baekhyun rolls his eyes.

"You'd win it in just a bat of an eyelash." Sehun laughs loudly this time as he sees Baekhyun's deep grimace.

"You know I don't see the bad in Chany-"

"Lalalalala~" Baekhyun covers his ears while he walks away.

Sehun couldn't stop laughing as he sees Baekhyun's ears turn red while he leaves Sehun standing there. He puts his hands back in his pockets and follows him to the parking area.

Not long after, the smile on his face slowly drops when he sees the little scene as they get near their cars.

In a far corner, the school playboy nods at another confessing girl who throws her arms all over him in happiness. The guy just smiles at her back.

It's not like it isn't a usual thing. Sehun happens to witness all of it, every day, every time.

"Looks like another yes." Sehun mutters to himself as he wills himself to look away.

He walks to where Baekhyun and Luhan are waiting for him and gives them a small smile. In the back of his mind, a voice tells him.

Kim Jongin: winning; Oh Sehun: losing

 

••••••••••

Note: Thank you for the comments guys! I figured I can't always reply but I'm really thankful. And up next to this is the real update, I guess. I hope you're not rooting for a certain pairing to win yet? (Who am I kidding, I even want to have a bet with you guys haha) One thing, what is the upvoting about? I see a votes tab here and thank you (!!!) but I'm not sure what it's for? Anyway, thanks! ♥