It's a Deal

The Stories of You and Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So then I wake up to something my face,” Kai continues, nose scrunched up at the memory, “and it’s Sparrow.”

 

            Sehun snorts, muffling the noise quickly by taking a sip of his green tea frappuccino when Kai swings around to glare at him.

 

            Yixing, who is currently lying half on top of the ordering counter of Kris’s Starbucks, furrows his brow.

 

            “Sparrow?” he asks, sneaking a glance at Sehun, who’s still sipping his coffee, as if the younger can shed some light on his current obliviousness.

 

            Kai groans, running a hand through his hair and making it stand on end, grabbing a plastic cup to fill an order.

 

            The three are currently hanging out at Kai’s work, Sehun not having any classes to attend and Yixing not having to teach any dance classes at his school for the day.

 

            The situation is much to the chagrin of Kris, who is keeping a watchful eye on the trio, having warned Kai earlier that any mischief would result in Sehun and Yixing being kicked out and Kai having to work an extra shift that night.

 

            But they’re not disrupting any of the customers, nor interrupting the flow of making orders that Kai easily slips into, so they continue to chatter quietly by themselves.

 

            “Were you not listening to a word I just said?” Kai asks, grabbing the whipped cream.

 

            Yixing looks offended.

 

“Of course I was,” Yixing protests, chewing on the end of his straw thoughtfully. “You said Kris called you late last night, which is creepy if you ask me…”

 

“Nobody did.”

 

Kris’s voice floats over from much closer than any of them expected, causing all three of them to jump.

 

Yixing recovers first.

 

“So rude,” he huffs. “Eavesdropping is a crime,” he adds afterwards, loud enough so that Kris can hear.

 

Kai clears his throat, interrupting Yixing from leveling the full force of a glare in Kris’s direction.

 

“Anyways,” Yixing drawls, drawing the word out, “Kris called you, asked you to meet him, cough, weirdo, cough, and gave you a puppy.”

 

Kai facepalms and Sehun giggles.

 

Yixing pouts.

 

“What?” he asks, as Kai walks away to grab a lid, rolling his eyes.

 

“A kitten,” Sehun corrects. “Kris gave Kai a kitten. And we named it Captain Jack Sparrow, but Kai likes to just call him Sparrow because apparently that sounds more badass.”

 

Yixing stares at him.

 

“You guys are just as weird as Kris,” he finally offers, and Sehun frowns, Kris emitting a strangled noise of exasperation somewhere nearby.

 

Kai returns a few seconds later, still irritated, and slides an order down the counter to a waiting customer.

 

“So,” Yixing says, studying his nails. “You woke up to a nice tongue bath from your new kitten this morning, huh?”

 

He looks up from his hand with a mischievous grin.

 

“For a second, I thought you were talking about Sehun. That would’ve made more sense.”

 

Sehun coughs into his drink, and how does Yixing always manage to make things so awkward?

 

“I’m going to come over this counter and strangle you in two seconds if you-,” Kai starts, looking slightly murderous, but he’s interrupted when Yixing catches movement in his peripheral vision and glances over at the new customers.

 

“,” Yixing hisses, almost knocking over his drink as he jolts from his chair.

 

Kai stops with his mouth halfway open, confused.

 

“, , ,” Yixing is saying frantically, looking around like a cornered animal.

 

“Dude, what the actual-,” Kai starts, because Yixing is gripping the edge of the counter like he’s going to break it off into his hands, and Sehun is scooting away superstitiously, and Kai can’t even see what Yixing is panicking about because there’s a big- coffee machine in the way.

 

And then Yixing is making eye contact with Kai across the counter, an idea dawning in his eyes.

 

“Oh no,” Kai begins, already knowing where his best friend’s mind is going. “Don’t-“

 

But Yixing is already launching himself across the counter like a pole vaulter, Kris thankfully looking the other way, and crouching down next to Kai’s feet.

 

“Hide me,” Yixing pleads with Kai, staring up at his friend.

 

“Yixing, what the fu-,” Kai starts, but another voice is joining in, and Kai flinches, startled.

 

“Fancy seeing you here Kai and Sehun,” the new voice says from across the counter, and Kai looks up from where Yixing’s eyes have widened to the size of saucers.

 

Jongdae leans against the counter on his elbows, almost in the exact same position Yixing just vacated, a grin plastered to his face.

 

Kai glances at Sehun quickly, who is blinking at the newcomer, and then trying to fight back what looks to be a smile.

 

“Hi Jongdae,” Kai finally manages to squeak out because Yixing is gripping his ankle with an iron grip now. “How are you?”

 

“Peachy,” Jongdae answers, drumming his fingers on top of the counter.

 

He opens his mouth to say more, but another figure is bumping into his side, interrupting him.

 

“Hey,” Tao greets in monotone, sporting multiple bangles stacked up one arm and a whole lot of eyeliner.

 

The bangles jingle when he swats at Jongdae, who easily avoids him.

 

“I thought you said we were going shopping,” Tao complains. “Not going to get coffee.”

 

Jongdae shrugs.

 

“We were. But then I spotted a familiar head of hair through the window.” He looks pointedly at Sehun.

 

“Oh,” Sehun says.

 

“So I thought we’d drop by to say hi,” Jongdae finishes. “Besides, I’m exhausted from that all-nighter we pulled last night and I need caffeine.”

 

He pauses, looking around.

 

“Where’s,” Jongdae begins to ask, and Kai bites back a gasp of pain as Yixing’s fingers dig painfully into his calf.

 

“… Chanyeol?” Jongdae finishes, still looking around.

 

Tao rolls his eyes.

 

“Trying to get into some guy’s pants,” he deadpans, pointing a finger to the side.

 

Everyone’s heads turn to follow the movement, and Kai’s mouth drops open a second later.

 

Because the tall, lanky guy from the dance battle is currently draped over the ordering counter, obviously trying to woo the guy behind it.

 

And the guy behind it just so happens to be Kris Wu.

 

Sehun barks out a laugh, quickly covering his mouth afterwards, and Kai is already giggling.

 

Because Kris looks like he’s in pain, jawline tight and forehead furrowed as he frowns, Chanyeol’s face dropping minutely when Kris says something to him before it brightens back up again and he responds, Kris’s mouth dropping open a little before Chanyeol is bouncing away with a wink.

 

“Hey guys,” Chanyeol greets, his eyes scrunched up from smiling so large.

 

Jongdae smirks at his friend.

 

“See something you like just as much as your double shot espresso?” he teases, and Chanyeol blushes.

 

“Speaking of which,” Chanyeol fires back, “where’s your puppy crush? I see his friends are here.”

 

Jongdae frowns at him.

 

“I told you, it’s not a crush,” he mumbles, embarrassed.

 

Kai waits with bated breath, as he’s sure Yixing is doing underneath the counter, listening intently to hear Jongdae explain what it really is if it’s not a crush.

 

“I just thought he was attractive,” Jongdae finishes.

 

Tao snorts.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter