First Encounter

Play Me

You woke to the sound of your phone buzzing against the wood of the nightstand. You couldn’t help but groan in frustration as you reached for the phone. When you unlocked the phone, the light nearly blinded you which didn’t make you feel any better at this point. Once you were able to actually see the screen, you saw that you got a message from both Sunhwa and Jihoon. First you read Sunhwa's text.

 

[text:] Hey! Sleepy head! Do you want me to take you to school today?

 

Immediately you replied with a simple yes and went on to check the message from Jihoon. After what he said yesterday, you weren't sure if you should even be reading his texts.

 

[text:] Hey Yejin...I’m sorry about yesterday, I just don’t want you to get hurt.

 

When you read the text, you still didn’t know how to react to him. You were unsure if he was trying to insult you or truly help out. Although if he was trying to “help”, why was he assuming that you'd have anything to do with that new kid anyway. What made him jump to these conclusions is what made you the most upset. It made you feel as though you had an exclusive history with people who hurt you, but that’s not how you remembered your love life. With every minute that passed by, you thought more and more into what Jihoon was saying, and it just made you more mad than before.

 

You slipped out of bed and shuffled back and forth between the bathroom and bedroom to get ready for another day at school. A simple t-shirt and jeans will do for today you thought to yourself. Once finished, she sat on the bed with your backpack and shoes on waiting for a text or call from Sunhwa telling you that she was here. Your phone vibrated against the nightstand and you grabbed it before it had even finished buzzing. One new text message from Jihoon. Instantly, you regretted looking and scowled. You set the phone in your lap while you decided whether or not to look at the message. Obviously you had no real reason to be mad at him, but it was the principles of the entire situation. Your pride was hurt. Being friends with someone for over ten years must make you bias towards them because you checked the message from Jihoon despite what you were feeling.

 

[text:] I know you’re mad, and I know you saw the message from this morning; Sunhwa told me you replied to her text. We should really talk at school, yes?

 

Almost like a reflex, you rolled your eyes. The whole situation was stupid, and you just wanted to move on but that seemed nearly impossible. The phone rang again but this time with a phone call; it was Sunhwa.

 

“I’m outside of your house now! Please tell me you’re actually ready to go.” Sunhwa yelled into the receiver causing you to jump and pull the phone away from your ear.

 

“Yes, I’ve been ready. You just took way too long.” you could imagine the look on Sunhwa 's face at that very moment. When the two of you both hung up, you rushed outside to get in the car. You wondered if Sunhwa had any idea about what was going on with you and Jihoon and questioned whether or not to tell her. There were two “arguments” going on in your head. Should you tell Sunhwa something you thought was irrelevant and pointless and have Sunhwa freak, or not tell her and risk Jihoon saying something, making you look like a bad friend. You decided it was best not to tell Sunhwa about an issue you planned to square away today. When you got into the car, the two of you exchanged your normal greetings, and you let Sunhwa do all the talking like she usually did.

 

Once the two arrive at school, you were greated by the sight of a waiting Jihoon. Sunhwa happily waved at him, but his attention was completely fixated on you; it made you uncomfortable and you shifted in the car seat. With Sunhwa practically screaching at you to get out of the car so you could get to class eventually budged you into moving. Your first class was with Jihoon, so you knew you weren't going to be able to ignore him for much longer.

 

“I’m going to get going, I want to stop and get a coffee before class. Bye.” Sunhwa was already walking away from us before even completing her sentence.

 

She had left you alone with him, great. You slowly faced Jihoon, bracing herself for all the things he was going to say. Jihoon let out a deep breath and pulled you into a tight hug.

 

“I don’t like fighting with you. It really .” he said softly.

 

You were confused but accepted this as his way of apologizing. You nodded your head and returned the hug before the two of you both set out to go to class.

 

Your composition and songwriting class would have been boring today, just like every other day except today there was a slight difference. The atmosphere in the room changed when a new face walked into the class nearly a minute before class started. Almost everyone’s conversations ceased when this boy walked into the room. Everyone’s eyes lingered on him as he walked by including yours. Jihoon leaned close to you and softly whispered, “What did I tell you? Son of a mobster.”

 

For once, you didn’t think Jihoon’s assumption was technically wrong. Absurd, yes, but wrong, who knows? The boy walked all the way to a seat in the back not making eye contact with anyone on the way. When the class actually started, the tension in the room was still there, just put off to the side. As usual, the class went by as slow as possible. There wasn’t even a small introduction of the new kid which slightly irritated you. He was new and you were sure everyone in the room was dying to learn something about him. Once the professor dismissed them you sprang out of your seat, collected your things, and began to walk without a second thought.

 

“Yah! Yejin, wait for me!” Jihoon was yelling from behind about five other people while waving his arm in the air. You quickly turned around so you could wait for Jihoon, but instead you felt the shove of another human body against your own, almost sending you to the ground. You dropped your stuff but were lucky enough to keep your balance due to the contradicting force of students behind you. When your eyes met the eyes of the person you accidentally ran into, you could feel your cheeks go hot and your heart rate increase. It was him. You had bumped into him, of all people. His stare was blank.

 

“Excuse you.” the boy said, still with the same look in his eyes.

 

You opened your mouth only to close it again when no sound came out. The boy made an annoyed sound before stepping right on your stuff and walking away. Once he was gone, you could finally breath again. You were approached by a distressed Jihoon who was asking you questions that seemed unnecessary. You simply smile and pick up your things off the floor before motioning Jihoon to start walking. They were both on their way to the quad to meet up with Sunhwa and tell her about this little incident, at least that was Jihoon's plan.