Prologue

Unconditionally Loving You

Prologue:

 

It's lessons, boring typical lessons and the students are tired, energy ebbing from them as the lesson wore on, some nodding off or some blankly staring at the whiteboard. Majority are in this state, but there are a few who are awake, here and there. The walls are cold white, the feature wall lime green as the dull scribbling of pen and paper along with low whispers grace the room. The fans whir ahead, and the clock on the wall ticks, time edging forward but still not quite fast enough; everything in slow motion and completely sluggish. The windows are all opened, but still the heat in the room is stifling, the window grills looking like prison bars, the doors a dark ever green that was the only nice shade of colour.

 

One of the girls yawns, covering unscrewing her bottle cap lazily as her pen is sprawled over her set of notes. She has brown wavy hair and sunkissed skin, a lovely caramel colour as she yawned again. Beside her on her right, a girl with pale skin the colour of snow and brown hair scribbled away furiously, at times flexing her fingers in agitation. Behind that girl was another girl with black silky hair, petite and short for her age as she yawned too. On the right of this girl, was another tan girl, with skin the colour of the golden sunlight, rubbing her eyes and looking widely awake. The final girl, right behind this other girl was pale too, with soft,silky brown hair as well, blinking sleepily in an effort to keep awake. Finally, beside this girl is a bored raven haired one, head nodding off. It's a sleepy afternoon, real sleepy when a sudden loud bang causes everyone to jolt awake. The ceiling shakes and columns and clouds of dust appear. There's momentary silence as the teacher shushes the class and the speaker above crackles to life as the announcement begins.

 

"There has been a fire, we are under attack, teachers please guide the students to the main venue and avoid the canteen at all costs. I repeat, avoid the canteen at all costs-"

 

"JC 1/4, leave your things behind, you heard the principal, evacuate!" The room bursts into life and immediately this band of six girls are together, wide awake, adrenaline rushing through their bodies. They knew that the war was still ongoing between many of the countries after the ideology from North Korea had overturned its own government and spread to other countries, the uprisings starting. The United Nations had been trying to solve or mediate the problem, but there was no more news from that. No words were spoken as the girls began ushering each other out, starting from the youngest, the petite one. She was scared but remarkably cool about it, listening to her older sisters. The second was her 'twin', having been born on the same day but either different parents of course, caramel kissed skin. Next was the studious girl, calm and efficient as she pushed the twins out of the door, pale skin glinting like snow as sunlight fell on her. Next was the raven haired and slightly tan girl as she cursed to no one in particular. After her was the girl with skin the colour of golden sunlight as she pulled the oldest after her.

 

The sight that greeted them was horrendous, a mass of swirling chaos as smoke and Ashes swirled. Coughing, she pushed the twins who were frozen in horror and they began to move pass the panicking crowd of students, pushing their way through, walking fast. They finally reached the staircase where everyone was still struggling to get through, the civilised demure way of the girls broken as the implications stood that they were doing to die. Biological thoughts swirled through all their heads about smoke inhalation, all except for tan girl and the studious one who had taken physics. Anger coursed through the few oldest and that was when the yelling began.

 

"Can you ING move?!"

 

"Don't curse!"

 

"RIGHT NOW-"

 

"JUST MOVE IT!" The studious girl snapped and immediately both of them fell silent as the girls in front began scurrying down from her furious glare. It was a battle, a run for survival as they pushed and shoved their way through. But there was something wrong with this, something terribly wrong, the studious girl thought in panic as the heat grew, all of them coughing from the stifling heat and lack of oxygen. Why was it getting hotter? Were the flames not put out? With a final shove she got the twins down to the ground floor and yanked the others before they broke into a run to the field. Lungs burning, body shaking, they barely managed to get to the field when a ground shaking boom caused the twins and eldest to fall, the other three whirling around. Their school was nothing but roaring flames, red as blood mingling with orange and yellow, fiesty flames devouring metal and everything else as the school crumbled, smoke billowing upwards in a column metres high,  Ashes like grey dust falling around as the school fell. Gasps could be heard and whispers as well, but the studious girl was shaking from horror because there's no way they're safe. No way in crazy hell, when her phone buzzes and she whips it out, still shaking.

 

"Mum!-"

 

"Get out right now and go to the main entrance of the gate, we're picking you and your friends up, the government has fallen. Remember the talk I gave you about?" There's silence as she swallows and her mind flashes back to the evacuation plan that her mum had gone through with her, a plan the other parents of her friends had agreed on but haven't told their own daughters. Only she knew, only she, because her parents knew she was smart enough to live with this arrangement.

 

"Yeah, I do. Mum..."

 

"Yes?"

 

"Stay safe, I love you." And with the biggest effort she had ever made, tears springing into her eyes she hung up, shaking. Goodbye goodbye, the underline meaning rang like a bell through her, but at the same time keeping her wide awake and fiercely angry. Angry because this was what she had to do because she didn't have a choice. Angry because her world was torn and she didn't have a choice. The youngest and eldest are crying, the elder comforting and trying to stop her own tears as the other three hugged, too stunned and at a lost of what to do. The studious girl stirs to life and without a word she yanks the youngest up, and turns to the other girls.

 

"Move, we need to get to the main entrance!" She yells at them above the rocketing din, much to her friends confusion and disbelief as the youngest asks the question they want to know.

 

"Why?!"

 

"Do you trust me?" She yells back and there's a split second pause before they began pushing their way through the crowd and spewing ash, fighting with hitting elbows and loud yells. The main gate is in sight, wide open and the car is there, inconspicuous, safe. She heads straight to it, running and yanking open the door. The girls clamber inside, shaking and gasping as she wheezes out for the person to drive them to the airport. Finally, something snaps and the third eldest turns to her, her voice loud and accusing.

 

"Explain!"

 

"Our parents made, a deal with our government. Some chose not to but ours did. If the government ever fell, they wanted to evacuate the kids as soon as possible. Right now the first few planes bearing all the children aged all from three to twelve are in flight. Ours is next and our parents have been prepared for over a year or longer, our luggage are waiting at the airport-"

 

"And our parents?" One of the twins asks quietly and she pauses, looking at all of them slowly before turning her gaze to the windshield of the car.

 

"Have to stay. There aren't enough seats. The younger children are evacuating to the UK where it's safest. The older you are the more spread out you  and your friends get. At seventeen, we're going to all the Asian countries that haven't fallen or United States. Some are going China, some Japan, we're going to South Korea which is still adamantly holding out against the North's rebel group. China is going strong, so is Japan, Thailand too, but Malaysia is gone; they were gone hours ago. We barely got the warning on time for the government to start the evacuation. I have tons of messages." She spoke, her voice calm and cool, but they could already see the tears leaking from their eyes as they thought of all their friends and everything they were leaving behind.

 

If only they knew how much was going to change.

 

"Mum!" The reunion is bitter sweet, a kiss on the forehead from each of the girls' parents, whispers of 'stay safe' and 'I love you' before they're pushed away towards the airplanes. Tears come and everything feels unfocused as they stumble into the plane with others their age, as the plane inside turns dark and they all cry into each others arms, holding on tightly to each other because who else do they have? She cries and soon everyone is crying, crawling over as they hug and comfort, sharing in everything. It's exhausting, but she knows that she has to keep awake. One more thing to tell her friends as she shakes the twins as well as the eldest awake, the second oldest awake with a snap of her fingers, the third not even asleep.

 

"Guys, listen, there's something else I have to tell you." The hardest part, she thought, a lump in , "If we get to South Korea, there's no confirmation that their government is safe. Remember I said the older we are the more spread out the countries in which we go to? It's because we can fend for ourselves if the government falls. When we get there, don't separate and no matter what you do don't open your mouth to talk and let me do the talking okay?"

 

"But-"

 

"Don't you get it guys? One wrong word from your mouth and you are going to die. There's no mercy there, and you know what they said about other countries, what they said about the labourers and toys, what we have to do to survive. You step on to that ground in South Korea, you cannot, cannot be yourself anymore. You have to be someone else because if you're not and they know who you are they're going to come after our parents and where would that lead us?"

 

"So what do we have to do?" The second eldest finally asks, her tone final and strong, the others slowly nodding, the implications finally hitting them all in one go.

 

"First things first, change your names, make sure no one can ever replace it, make sure it's completely untraceable and at the same time binds us together." Rachel whispers and there's silence as they contemplate the information.

 

"I'll be Yuki." The youngest says softly and she cracks a smile.

 

"I'll be Yuka then."

 

"Whoa you aren't doing to take all the nice names, I'll be Yuri then." The third eldest says defiantly, shooting the others an evil look.

 

"... Yura." The other twin finally says, sniggering as she combined the previous two names together.

 

"That's not fair! Okay okay I'll be Yuko." The second hastily chose her name, grinning from ear to ear as the eldest whined about them bullying her.

 

"There's no nice names anymore!! Fine I'll be be be... Yuku!" She finally says and they burst into fits of laughter, quiet desperate laughter amid the stony silence from everyone else.

 

"But whatever happens, I promise, we will have our revenge."

 

The plane finally shudders to a stand still and she realises that the amount of time they had spent crying was too long. Exchanging a look with the rest, she felt fear well up as she realised just how much their lives depended on what she did. Swallowing, she stands up as they pile into a neat line, and descend the plane. Her heart sinks as she sees all of them line up, dealers counting wads of cash and yawning as they took in the new sight. Dealers. Their government had fallen. Standing in the line, she immediately signaled the others to bow their head. Looking them into the eye was a bad move. She didn't know how far she could stall them from getting sold as toys but maybe she could buy them a few years once they were with the dealers as trainee toys. Slowly the children get pulled to different sides and Rachel panics slightly as she notices just how many become labourers. This was not good. Not good at all.

 

"And what is your name cupcake?" A soft warm voice whispers but she knows better than to look up. From here on she had to step very carefully, everything must be done with caution, and she had to be perfect so that they would choose her and her friends.

 

"Yuka with my sisters..." Head bowed head bowed she chants softly to herself, eyes downcast as much as she wanted to punch the dealer, kill everyone of them. Survival was important, important. There's surprised silence at the behaviour before a finger tilts her chin upwards to face the dealer. Look away her mind screams and her eyes look down, even as her face has been tilted up. There's a longer silence before the dealer gives her the next order.

 

"Look at me." And so she does, hesitatingly. No attitude, no sassiness here, she told herself, her heart pounding wildly. Be obedient and when the time comes everything will be alright, she thinks grimly. The dealer doesn't look bad, clean shaven, nice jawline, but disgust swells up in her all the same. Her favourite band Exo doesn't even cross her mind as the dealer studies her for a moment before she drops her gaze.

 

"Yuka... That's a nice name. With a few more polishing up you'll be perfect." The dealer says nicely and almost a breath of relief escapes her when she thinks of her friends. Oh , really this could not get worse. Well, time to pull up the trump card. Without hesitation she drops to her knees and there's a surprise gasp from one of the dealers and she knows she has their attention.

 

"Sir-"

 

"Master Dongmin." The dealer corrects her gently and she swallows, fear pricking at her. Because how far could she push with this act to save her friends? Could she?

 

"Master, Yuka wishes to seek for a favour. Yuka made a promise not to leave her sisters behind, and Yuka was wondering if perhaps Master could..." Trail of girl, that's it, make him think you are asking him for a favour, a real one, thank goodness those acting classes are paying off, "Some of my sisters are foolish, young and naive, but Yuka will make sure they do not cause trouble but Master only if you allow, maybe..."

 

A burst of laughter comes out from Dongmin as well as some of the other dealers and she secretly panics, because what now? Had she made a mistake were they all going to die-

 

"My Dongmin you really know how to pick a toy; how much is she going to cost now after a good polish up? Ten thousand?" One of the dealers holler out.

 

"She really is a diamond in the rough eh? She can sell for twelve if she keeps up this good work. Maybe I won't have to break her, " Dongmin looks down thoughtfully and makes the decision with a clap of his hands, "Good toys are always rewarded, bring your sisters, you must all be tired." Don't move - Yuka, don't move until he says so.

 

"Rise Yuka." There's a note of pleasure in his voice and she stands, shakily bringing her friends, sisters over. The twins’ grip is tight and the others are looking at her with understanding and fear in their eyes. Because from now in they're not themselves, they can't be free, be happy.

 

It's survival above freedom.

 

You guys have no idea what JC is right? Or where you guys are? This is set in Singapore (omg it's easier this way man) JC is like senior high school before you go college, age seventeen. Oh yeah the members for Sehun Kyungsoo Suho Kris Baekhyun Chen are taken! Anyone else who wants to be in this story PM me your likes dislikes, favourite colour jewellry etc I'll choose those that are interesting and make you appear in this story :3