II

Surreptitious

 


 

The next day, Eunyoung answered the test 38% correctly. Without the teacher noticing, she actually wrote the real answers on a tiny piece of paper, so she still had a backup for it. When she submitted her paper, Hakyeon surprisingly smiled at her, “Hope you did well.”

Feeling rather guilty, Eunyoung nodded quickly and went back to her seat.

I did really well, but I just didn’t show you.

 

The black-haired teacher marked the paper quickly. He called the students one by one, and congratulated them for having B or A on their tests.

“Joo Eunyoung,” he called and sighed. Eunyoung walked to the table, trying to ignore her beating heart. Hakyeon kept his voice low, so he wouldn’t embarrass the girl. “Did you study on this?”

Eunyoung nodded, “Yes I did, Sir.”

“But your result didn’t prove it,” he said, a hint of disappointment was obvious on his face. “Are you still having problems with this, Eunyoung?” Eunyoung actually didn’t know what to do.

Did I piss him off? Should I stop pretending?

“See me at my office after school, we need to talk.”

That’s it. That’s the word Eunyoung has been longing to hear. In much eagerness, she nodded, “Okay.” Eunyoung took her paper with an F mark on it. She was surely anticipating for the talk that day.

 

“Look, Eunyoung,” Hakyeon took a seat on a small couch inside his personal office. After sipping the coffee milk he made, he leaned on the couch and looked straight to Eunyoung’s eyes.

Oh God I can’t take it, he’s too hot, help me.

“I really want to help you, but you need to cooperate with me, you got it?” Hakyeon said. Eunyoung replied with a nod, “I’m sorry, Sir, I let you down.”

Hakyeon sighed, “You don’t have to feel sorry. It’s for your own good, achieving Ds and Fs for your exams are not good,” he continued, “You need to be more than this. Do you want to fail on English every time? English is important for your future, Eunyoung.”

Eunyoung hung her head low, I’m sorry, Sir. I’m sorry. “No, I don’t, Sir.”

“Please think about your future, Eunyoung. If you fail on English for your final exam, I’m afraid you’ll be failing this year too, and you’ll have to repeat the last year,” Hakyeon told, more concerned. “You don’t want that, right?”

Eunyoung absent-mindedly shook her head, “No, Sir.”

Taking another sip of his drink, Hakyeon then sighed—again. “Do you want me to give you extra class, Eunyoung? I think I can help you with that.”

SERIOUSLY. DID HE SERIOUSLY ASKING ME FOR MORE EXTRA CLASSES?

“If that can help, that’d be great, Sir,” her tone wasn’t final, instead it was rather questioning. “We can do it after school like this. At my office, or at your class, I’m fine with it, it’s up to you,” said the black-haired teacher. “But I think it’d be better if we do it at my office, because it’s quieter, so you can be more concentrated. You like it?”

Are you kidding, I love it.

 

“Oh, and you can also come to my house on Saturdays if you can’t do it on weekdays. How’s it?”

 

“Y-your h-house!?” Her eyes were obviously widened, she felt unnecessary heat suddenly visited her thin cheeks. The idea sounded so wrong in Eunyoung’s ears, but yet so right!

“Sure, but be sure to contact me before going to my house, since I sometimes have other activities,” Hakyeon explained. “But Sir, what about—” “Oh, I live alone, so don’t mind.”

This is the best idea ever. I told you my attempts and my efforts aren’t fruitless!

“Are you sure it’s okay?” Eunyoung asked, trying so hard not to smile and instead she bit her lower lip. Hakyeon nodded calmly, “For your own sake, I’d be willing to help.”

Eunyoung’s happiness was visible. She coughed a few times to hide her squirms and giggles. “T-thank you so much, Sir. I’ll study hard, and make you proud!”

The male teacher shook his head, “No, make you proud of yourself.”

Her eyes twinkle, and nodded.

 

Eunyoung got Hakyeon’s phone number and address. She kept on staring at the number for hours. A huge smile never left her beautiful face.

“I’m home,” she said with a smile. A maid popped from her side, “Good evening.” Eunyoung smiled towards her maid—her best friend—eagerly, “Good evening, unnie!”

Yewon—Kim Yewon, the maid—smiled back, “You’ve such a big smile plastered on your face, something happened?” Eunyoung giggled as an answer. Whipping her hair to the back, she rolled her eyes, “Oh please, enough with the formality, let’s go to my room and I’ll tell you what happen.” Yewon hushed, “Ssh, I’m just being the appropriate maid here, remember?”

Giggling, both girls went to Eunyoung’s room on the 2nd floor. Suddenly, a woman’s voice echoed, “Eunyoung, how’s today, sweetheart?” Eunyoung turned around only to find her aunt standing on the edge of the stairs. “Hey auntie,” she rushed back downstairs to kiss her aunt on her cheek. “Today’s awesome, thanks for asking.”

Her aunt smiled, wrinkles were visible framing her thin pink lips. “I’m glad to hear that. Your parents called this morning, they said you probably have to wait for another month, because after visiting Hongkong, they’re going to Spain for another work stuff. Will that be okay?”

Nodding hesitantly, Eunyoung but smiled, “Well, what else can I do? Please tell them to take care and stay healthy.” Her aunt smiled a reassuring one and nodded back, “I will. Now take some rest, you’ve got to be tired from school. Oh, Yewon-ssi, you should prepare a warm bath for Eunyoung.”

Yewon bowed politely, “Yes I will.” Her aunt smiled once again towards Eunyoung then left to the living room to continue whatever she was doing. Eunyoung looked at Yewon playfully then grinned a wide one, “Nice one.”

 

The conversation Eunyoung had with her aunt was rather in English though.

 

“I miss mom and dad,” Eunyoung said as she threw herself on her luxurious bed. “I think the last time I saw them was on Easter supper.” Yewon comfortably sat herself on the carpeted floor of Eunyoung’s room. “I understand. But that’s for the sake of their jobs too, right? I think they trust you with your aunt, she could take care of you really well. So I guess they’ll be fine. Come on, a month isn’t a long time to wait.”

“Yeah, I’ll try,” she said, rubbing her eyes. “Yewon unnie, I think you should stop using formalities when talking to me.”

“There’s your aunt there, Eunyoung-ie. I’d like to, but I don’t think that’d be heard well,” Yewon said as she played with a loose string at the hem of her maid uniform skirt.

“But you’re even older than me, and I don’t even use formalities when talking to you! Imagine us going to the same school and being the best of friends.”

“But sadly we’re not,” Yewon said, giving Eunyoung the look that’s-not-going-to-happen-sweetheart-I’m-sorry. Eunyoung sighed, “Yeah, we’re not. But I think it’s better to have you here so we can talk like this every time, right?”

“Okay, okay, enough said. Let’s hear the reason behind that huge cheeky and almost distracting smile.”

Abruptly sitting up, Eunyoung smiled again, “Oh my gosh, you’re not going to believe this.”

Scrolling through her phonebook, she then bit her lower lip after finally got the number she just saved. “Yewon unnie, I present you, Sir Cha Hakyeon’s phone number!” She said while showing Yewon her icy-blue-covered iPhone.

Yewon’s jaw dropped. “You freakin’ serious!?” “M-hm,” Eunyoung nodded smugly. “And plus!”—she swiped her screen, “His address!”

“This is insane!” Yewon grabbed Eunyoung’s iPhone and with shaking hands—she did it on purpose—she said, “How did you—I mean, why—like, for what—I mean, how!?”

“My plan is going on really smoothly. I got an F for the last pop quiz, remember that?” Eunyoung received a nod. “Yeah, after that he called me to his office. He offered me more extra classes and—oh my god—he said that I can go to his house to have more extra classes!” Eunyoung was practically screaming her words.

Yewon actually wanted to shout back “Ya! I’m not deaf!” but she was equally happy so she shouted back, “You’re kidding me! This isn’t real!” But then covering her face with both hands then laughed inwards.

“I know right!” Eunyoung said, laying back on her bed while kicking the air. “This is sick. I can’t believe our plan is really working.”

Yewon replied with a cheeky smile, “I think you’ve to stop pretending that you’re stupid. I mean, day by day, you should be better, and better, and better, so he wouldn’t suspect you for anything stupid. He’ll be impressed.”

Eunyoung’s eyes brightened, “That’s wicked. Let’s do this.”

 

Her plan goes smoothly, for now.

 

 

 

—;

omg so happy that i gained some new subbies! and dear subbies, i'm really sorry for the late update. i've been reaaally busy with school. ah~ please please please support me and i hope i can update regularly :) don't forget to comment and subscribe ok! and hello upvoter! Seoblove thank you so much for the upvote, honey.