They Talk About Crying

Before 6:00

Age 9

Behind Young In's house is the garden shed.  Behind the garden shed is the cherry tree, and the cherry tree lives in the backyard. 

It’s nothing majestic—just tall and old.  It’s been there for a long time, even before Young In was born.  Even before her father left when she was three.  

The cherry tree's managed to live another year.  This year is the year that Jongin's mother died.

In the spring, the cherry tree has no leaves, only bright, pink blossoms.  Jongin really hates it when Young In puts them in his hair but she does it just to hear him laugh about it. 

When it gets very warm, and the cherry tree is happiest, Young In can see the red gems hanging on its branches.  They stain her fingers when she picks them, but each one is sweet on her tongue.  

When it gets cold, the cherry tree cries, and the blossoms drift to the ground. 

It's very cold today.  Pink tears cover the yard.  It’s a bit sad to look at; the lifeless petals smothered to the ground after a war with the wind and rain.   

But Young In almost thinks that the cherry tree is crying for a different reason.  

Should the tears be swept away? 

Jongin opens the garden shed and pulls out the broom. 

"I'll do it," he says. 

But Young In tells him no. 

They’re so pretty.  Let them be.  They must be tired from hanging onto the branches of the tree all year long.  On the ground, they don’t have to worry about being swept away by a storm, or being carried away by a hungry insect.  They'll finally get some rest.

Jongin laughs at Young In for being sappy over a bunch of shriveled flowers.  They’ll be swept away eventually, he says.

But Young In doesn’t care.  She knows that once the petals fall, they fall.  It won’t do any good to pick them up or throw them away. 

Once someone cries, you let them cry.  It’s no use to tell them to stop or pat their shoulder, telling them that everything is alright.  Because sometimes, things are not alright.

And they'll only cry harder.

 

17:15 pm