04

Let Me Serenade You to Sleep
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s still raining cats and dogs out there after Kris and Baekhyun finished their dinner. Baekhyun stares through the window and sighs after concluding that he can’t go home in the weather like this. It’s just like the universe is conspiring to make him stay at Kris’ apartment. The latter doesn’t mind, though. Kris is actually the one who persuaded Baekhyun to stay at least until the rain stopped. But now, judging on how the rain is heavily poured from the sky, maybe Baekhyun needs to stay over for the night.

“What’s with the long face?” Kris asks after studying Baekhyun’s facial expression for a while.

“It’s raining,” Baekhyun answers, still doesn’t move an inch from the window. His eyes are wandering to the darkness outside. He slightly trembles, not from the cold but from the memories he had with the rain. It was never good, he could tell. It was because of the rain, the accident occurred. It was because of the rain, he lost his brother.

Noticing the uneasiness that surround Baekhyun, Kris walks closer to where he stands. He is now standing beside him. “Hey,” Kris says, putting his hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder. “Are you okay?”

Baekhyun sighs, “I just don’t like rain.”

Baekhyun couldn’t explain what he exactly feels when Kris put his hand on his shoulder. It is a simple gesture, but it is so comforting. It amazes him how that simple gesture can put his heart at ease.

“Well, I love rain.”

Kris still hasn’t moved away his hand from Baekhyun’s shoulder. And Baekhyun actually doesn’t want him to move it away either.

“I used to hate rain,” Kris says as he crosses his arms over his chest. That gesture makes Baekhyun’s heart slightly drops. He still needs the comfort from Kris’ hand and the warm that radiates from his touch.

“I hated rain especially when there were thunders on the sky,” Kris reminisces his past. “Also because my mom always told me to stop playing basketball once the rain started,” he chuckles.

“It’s a whole lot different story with mine, though,” Baekhyun mumbles under his breath. Those words however don’t fail to be heard by Kris.

“Is it about your accident in the past?” Kris asks carefully, not wanting to hurt Baekhyun’s feeling.

Baekhyun nods, “But can we not talking about it?” The last thing Baekhyun wants is to make the atmosphere turns gloomy because of him.

Kris gets the message. He knows not to push him any further. “Should I tell you my story then?” Kris smiles at him. He then gestures Baekhyun to come with him, to sit comfortably on the couch.

“I know that this is irrelevant to our previous subject,” Kris begins. “And since you don’t want to talk about the past, I think it would be better this way.” Baekhyun nods to that.

Kris stares upward as he crosses both his arms under his head and straightens up his long limbs to make himself comfortable. Then he begins his story, “I always love stargazing.”

“Sometimes I look at the stars and think of my mother, and I wonder if she is looking at them too,” Kris continues.

Baekhyun notices that Kris’ eyes are turning glossy. However he doesn’t mention it, afraid to make him uncomfortable. “Your mother?”

“My mother lives faraway, at the other side of the world.” Kris takes a deep breath before continues, “I came from Canada though my real hometown is in Guangzhou. Life was quite hard there. But fortunately we made it.

“I really love my mother. She is the only reason I continue my study here with only one thing in mind, to be a successful person and make her happy.”

Baekhyun smiles at him although he knows that Kris cannot see him since Kris is still facing upward. He is ae filial son, he says to himself.

Listening to Kris started opening himself more to him makes him happy though he still can’t do the same to him. At least, not yet.

“Sometimes when I really missed her, I would call her and ask her to look at the sky. I tell her to look up to the brightest star. That way I could pretend that we are side by side, looking at the same star.”

Baekhyun’s smile grows wider. This person beside him is such a big baby, a mama’s boy, though he doesn’t complaint at all.

“But, that makes me seem crazy,” Kr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter