Jung Soomin

Murder in the Dark

17th of November, 2011

After that, the rest of the police force came in. Everything happened so fast, but they took Krystal away and called my parents. I told Jessica everything.

I still can’t believe anything that’s happened. I still can’t believe that my baby sister killed someone. I expect that the Kim family will press charges, but we all know that she’ll get off lightly. They’ll probably declare her mentally unstable, and they’ll point out the fact that Sunggyu and Tiffany assaulted Krystal all those years ago. I don’t even know how Tiffany managed to conceal that fact from Jessica, but Jessica was furious.

We’ve all been under house arrest – the media is having fun with these incidents, and it hurts that some of them are pointing the blame towards me, for not doing anything when we were in high school or not realising that it was Krystal. They also say that I’m heartless for convicting my own sister.

I’ve always had dreams of becoming a writer, journalist or investigator – dreams of becoming famous for something I did. For something I wrote. For something I discovered. For something I solved. I wanted to be famous because of my talent, not because I was pretty or because of my family. For years, I’ve been overshadowed by both my sisters, and I’ve always wanted to get rid of that image, so I could be known as Jung Soomin only.

Well, everyone in Korea knows the name of Jung Soomin – the girl whose sister murdered the famous Kim Sunggyu, the girl who put her own sister in jail and sometimes the girl who solved a crime in one night. Now, all I want is for things to be normal. For Krystal to be happy and smiling, for us to be one, big happy family.

Expect the unexpected. It’s hard to do, when the unexpected is something that will haunt you for the rest of your life. I’ll never forget. In a way, I became Jung Soomin…but that label of sister will always be mine. 

The one lesson I’ve learnt is this: be careful. The things you say, the things you do – it might not be important to you, but trust me when I say it will matter to someone.