We're Not Real

The White Room

 

Somehow the atmosphere of the room changed, the air felt heavier, and the sleeping girl felt the change. Her forehead creased but her eyes remained closed. She seemed to be having a bad dream. Then the heaviness lifted and the girls fluttered open, she blinked a few times against the sudden intrusion of light. Slowly she sat up and scoped out the room.

She was confused, her memory was betraying her. The wall of screens buzzed once and continued flashing the images as if on a loop. The girl swung her legs to the floor, she was barefoot, and slowly approached the screens. We find out that they are memories, the first one, a flashing imaged of a grinning toddler in a birthday hat, in front of whom is a cake with a giant candle in the shape of a five stuck in the middle. The grinning toddler gave a shrill laugh and the image flashed again, at  a further distance this time, the child which we assume is the girl standing in front of the screen,  was joined by a man and a woman, her parents. Slowly her hand lifted up to the monitor, the images flashed as her finger tips lightly dragged along the screen. Curious, she moved on to the next monitor, her childhood, the innocence.

She kept moving until she was at the end of the top row. We notice that she has stopped to inspect another monitor. The picture on the monitor didn’t flicker as much as the rest, it brighter and more colorful. “Ji.” We see move to form the word. On the monitor is a picture of a young man, his blonde hair flailing against the slight breeze. A small smile on his lips. We look back at the girl, once again her finger tips are on the screen, a tear glistens on her cheek. She tries to blink it away and unwillingly moves on to the other monitors.  The images begin to grow darker and though she doesn’t notice, so does the room. The bright white begins to fade, taking on a colder feel, the air feels colder. We want to help her, but we can’t.