Chapter 3

Tomboys Don't Cry

Though it took a while to gently wean Chiao away from her compulsion to constantly vent, Milk's romantic inconvenience deepened by contrast.

 

MissTer's Iron Man MV had recently gone into editing mode. The band was invited to sit in on part of the process. Milk now found it excruciating to watch herself act out her real life plight on an editing screen, surrounded by a roomful of people. She excused herself to go have a much-needed smoke break.

Upon returning, she tried to sit still and not offer much commentary. Carol was the first to notice how withdrawn her bandmate had become in recent days. Tapping Milk on the arm, she spoke low so the others wouldn't hear, "Hey Broody - you're so.........remote."

To that, Milk closed her eyes and whispered "Leave it be". Carol was surprised, but extended a friendly "B-ball when we're done here?"

Milk nodded. Playing basketball with Carol usually relaxed her. She must've looked a fright if Carol felt she could use some sport therapy.

 

* * * * *

[On the basketball court]

Carol, Milk and a last-minute addition of Chris, ran around the court, shot hoops and made small talk. Carol's initial idea was to get Milk to open up, but so far, no luck. Maybe the direct approach might work better?

"Hey Milk, you okay? You're really quiet and distant lately."

Before the brooding giant could respond, Chris chimed in, letting the basketball fall from her hands, "Yeah, I noticed that too. What's up?"

"Meh, it's nothing. Really guys, I'm fine" Milk fibbed.

Carol wasn't convinced. "Shush, something's GOTTA be up!" she remarked. Chris wasn't buying it either. She had extra info the others were unaware of. She announced, "Not trying to bring Chiao into this, but..."

At the name "Chiao", Milk's throat closed up. She panicked and thought to herself 'No way, Chris knows?!??'

Chris continued, "...the other day, she mentioned that she was surprised at you being a bit put-off when she wanted to hang out with you. More than once."

Milk was confused. Chris clarified that Chiao had seemed a bit miffed that her best buddy suddenly didn't want to spend time together, and preferred to be left alone. Relief poured over Milk as she understood that Chris had no clue about her hidden Chiao-love.  Now she pondered, but couldn't recall having outright refused to spend time with Chiao. Had she? Crap. She had, hadn't she? She slowly remembered Jin's words and realized she'd maybe taken things too far. Had she unintentionally cut Chiao out when all she wanted to do was put a buffer between "The Louise" and her own emotional preoccupations?

She'd have to rethink things later, but now she grabbed the abandoned basketball and dribbled it away from the other girls. Carol and Chris exchanged a quizzical glance. Chris shrugged and ran up to claim the ball from the ever-distant Milk. Carol saw no other alternative than to follow her friend's lead.