day thirty three

(500) Days of Summer

 December 5, 2009

 

 10:47AM, in some God-forsaken furniture store

 

 It was Yuri's birthday. By Yuri, I mean Sooyoung's best friend besides from Hyoyeon noona. And since she was so important, it made gift choosing an important thing... which is why it had to be chosen on the day of her birthday. And it had to be furniture, because apparently Yuri doesn't like anything else. So here I am... being dragged into this mysterious land called Fearneiture. It's a stupid shop, with a stupid name, and with even stupider furniture... I would've let Sooyoung go out on her own; except she insisted that we go together to do some bonding time. When I went, I was hoping to throw her on one of the bed models and let her know what my idea of bonding time is, but as usual I do what Sooyoung wants me to do. I am currently sprawled out on one of the many sofas, ignoring the disapproving (but flirty) looks the store manager was giving me, when Sooyoung stomps in front of me. Time to face the music.

 

 "What the hell are you doing?!" she tells me. Hmmk gurl, calm yourself. I was only- Uh oh, she looks really angry. Sheepish mode on.

 

 "Resting," I replied, my eyes wide and innocent. She doesn't look convinced. "Y'know, cuz it's early and I'm tired from last night's shift..."

 

 She looked slightly guilty then. Hah! Score one for the Minmeister! "Well, if you help me pick out a colour, we can go for some breakfast." Ah, nothing but a promise of a good breakfast can make me budge from the sofa. Or if the store manager (who just took her jacket off) would sashay over, I'm pretty sure I would've run for Sooyoung. So I followed her and she pointed out five different shades of blue. So I was like... are you kidding me? Why does she want me to pick between a blue cushion, another blue cushion and... something that looks like Thumbelina would be too big to sleep on. I looked at Sooyoung in confusion, and she's staring at me like 'So pick one and choose widely because actually, if you don't pick the one I did, then you're completely wrong'. So I hesitantly poked the one closest to me, with a deep hue of blue.

 

 "What about this one?" I asked. She looks troubled for a bit, which really confused me. How the hell can you be indecisive about cushions?! And to be honest, it's five really ugly cushions that I wouldn't even wipe my with. "It's got a good texture and colour blends really well with her current sofa." I've never said so much in my entire life. She looked doubtful for a minute (it's a cushion), then she tipped her head to one side (it's a goddamn cushion!) and picked it up to hold in the light (it says 'Pick Me! I've been made for this very moment!') Then pursed her lips (TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT). Then mercifully, finally after a million years... she smiled and hugged me. 

 

 "It's wonderful! Let's go pay." then she hopped off. Thank God. I let out a huge sigh of relief then saw the store manager in the corner of my eye. Oooh shiiit, she has a seductive smile on. Sooyoung! Wait for meeeeee!  T____T 

 

 Much later on (and as far away from the store manager as possible) we're sipping coffee and sitting by the window. This is how you spend a day with your wife, not getting dragged around a stupid furniture store with a creepy sales woman. Ahh, the smell of coffee is so nice! It's in the air and I think I can smell pancakes there too. I think I was smiling like an idiot, because Sooyoung was grinning at me. "What?" I asked her. Then she just smiled and shook her head. I raised a brow and scooted over to her on the cubicle, nudging her so she would tell me why she's grinning. She refused to talk so I tickled her, and then found her snort in laughter. She kinda smacked a hand over (and made a funny 'pap' sound) and looked at me in horror. I looked at the other people in the cafe and they were looking at us weird. 

 

 "Oho, so Sooyoung snorts when she laughs eh? Well..." TICKLE ATTAAAACK! LAUGHTER BRIGADE TO THE LEFT SIDE, SNORTS BRIGADE TO THE RIGHT!! CHAAAAARGE!! She started laughing really, really loudly with her head thrown back and wide open. She looked like a fish, but I was laughing too much to care. Besides, she was a very pretty fish. Pretty soon we were laughing like the woodlice from A Bug's Life, and whenever we ceased we kinda look at each other and find my nose had started to run then start laughing again. We were told we had to leave because we were making too much noise, but Sooyoung was still laughing when I was dragging her out of the coffee shop. 

 

 "Why are you laughing?" I asked her, with my arm around her shoulders. She ceased (finally) and then she looked down on the floor. "Yaaah. Miss Choi Sooyou-"

 

 "Mrs. Choi Sooyoung to you." she corrected me. Heh, that was stupid. Of course it's a different title now.

 

 "Okay then, Mrs. Choi Sooyoung," she smiled at that. "Why were you laughing at your husband?"

 

 She pouted at me. Goddamnit, she's so cute. "I can't laugh at my own husband?"

 

 "Mmm... no."

 

 "Well then there's no point in being married," she stuck her tongue out. Then she wriggled out of my grasp before I can get a word in edgeways, and started running towards the park. Sooyoung wants a chase? She's got one. I sprinted towards her as fast as I can and made growling noises, while she laughed out loud and continued to run from me. I was chasing her around the fountain now, and I've almost reached for her when a horrible de ja vu scene started to play out, where I slipped and Sooyoung caught me trying to hold me back and then... we fell in the water. I kinda looked at her in shock, because this situation was becoming really familiar, then she cracked up and dunked my head under the water. IS SHE CRAZY?! I must've looked stupid because she was cackling like crazy, so I decided to splash her. 

 

 She didn't like that so she charged towards me, Bella Swan style, and started sending a wave like she's Poseidon or something. Pffft, she should know better to mess with me, since my hands can double as a paddle. We looked like a couple of weirdos, half-splashing and half-swimming in this tiny fountain. The park keeper comes with his barking bulge of flesh and we ran like there was a bacon double cheese sandwich at the end. When I slammed the door to my apartment, it only took me one minute to look at Sooyoung and saw that she was freezing. So I bundled her up and took her upstairs to take a bath.

 

 "You know, we'll save money on water if we both shower," I said casually when she came in with a robe on. She smiled like nice-try-Mr.-I-Like-Swimming-In-Fountains and shoved me out of the door. "You are always complaining about saving money and what not."

 

 "Then stop going online to watch your ." She slams the door on my face.

 

 WHAT?! HOW DID SHE KNOW?!

 

- - - - 

 

 December 6, 2009

 

 6:00PM, outside Yuri's house freezing my balls off

 

 "Sooyoung, you look fine."

 

 "I'm not sure. By formal did she mean long dress or semi-casual."

 

 I don't know the bloody difference. "You look fine. Now ring the doorbell and say happy birthday."

 

 "What if she doesn't like her present?"

 

 "She will. Or if she doesn't, she's your best friend and will smile and say thank you. Because it's polite."

 

 "Oh no! She won't like it will she?! Quick, check her-"

 

 "Hurry up and ring the bloody doorbell!"

 

 "Maybe we should go back, change into something else. I don't- Hey!"

 

 I stepped back after pushing the bell, hearing the musical chimes ring in the hallway behind the door.  I shrugged at her with a smug expression, and she kinda glowered at me before snapping back to look at the girl who just opened the door. Whoa! She's a knockout! If I hadn't met Sooyoung, I would've been standing next to her doing- Okay, no. She's gorgeous, but she doesn't hold a light next to Sooyoung. God Min, what the hell is wrong with you? Focus. You need to be charming today, so her friends would like you-

 

 "Min?" 

 

 I snapped out of my trance. Ah, the girl said something. She was looking at me expectedly. Oh, right quick! SAY SOMETHING CHARMING. SAY SOMETHING- "Aha, sorry Yul! My husband is always spacing out." Sooyoung glared at me while Yuri just laughs.

 

 "Oh aha that's okay!" she had a kind of rich high voice. Like my mum when she's tired and has had a few drinks. "My husband does the same. Come in, it's cold out here." Ah thank God, I thought I was gonna die out here. And good thing she has a husband; I'll need someone to stay in a corner and be anti-social with. While Sooyoung was busy displaying her stupid cushion in all its ugly glory, I was dutifully hovering behind her to let everyone know that yes, I'm her husband, and no, you may not check her out in or out of my presence. Ever. 

 

 "So this is my husband, Changmin," Sooyoung said, and she grips my arm and leads me towards her ever-so-curious friends, and I feel like I'm three years old and being lead by my mother to my first day of school. I feel horribly self-conscious when Sooyoung announces me and then she stopped and looked up at me smiling. I bite my lip and then-

 

 "Well if I agreed with her about myself, we'd both be wrong."

 

 A few seconds pass and they stare at me in silence. Then they start laughing like crazy, their mouths wide open and their heads thrown back. Now I know whom to thank for Sooyoung's strange laugh. At least I made them laugh then I excused myself and went to the kitchen, found the stash of beer and started to drink. I only got through halfway, and then I turned to go back into the living room. A man was standing by the fridge and taking a large cake out. Mmm... cake. I was about to walk past him when he chuckled. "I won't go out there if I were you." I turned around and raised a brow. He smiles at me in a friendly way. "They're gossiping like crazy about Sooyoung's sudden husband." Suddenly the kitchen was a beautiful place.

 

 "I'm Sooyoung's sudden husband, Changmin," I said and clapped hands with the man.

 

 "I'm Yuri's boyfriend for about five years first, before I can find the guts to propose and marry her husband Yunho," he replied. Somehow he makes me laugh and we became instafriends. I haven't met new people lately, since marriage takes a toll on the social life, and I quickly get back into the swing of things. I forgot that I was already charming, so I had no problem making friends with Sooyoung's friends. I stuck by Yunho most of the time though, since he was my unspoken best-buddy-in-the-whole-house.  

 

 "Hey Min, come here!" Sooyoung called. She was sitting within a group of girlfriends and I immediately sensed fear. I looked over at Yunho for help and he just shrugged at me, mischievously turning the other way with a smile on his face. Traitor. I walked over glumly, but still trying to keep my composure. Sooyoung gripped my hand while sitting down and I stood next to her, smiling pleasantly at all the women. 

 

 "Ah I can't believe our Sooyoung got married early!" one woman wailed. Well I don't know what she told you, but I didn't exactly have my thoughts counted. "We never even got to test you out!"

 

 "Uhh..." a noise from the back of my throat erupted in surprise. "Any testing needs to be approved by Sooyoung first."

 

 The woman laughed and aaw-ed, even Sooyoung dipped her head in shyness. Pft, you brought me over here, now face the consequences. "So how did you two meet?" another one said, eagerly leaning forwards. I laughed slightly and scooted next to Sooyoung, effectively making her half-sit on my lap. I hid a smile when some of the women squealed and clapped their hands. Heh, this was going really well. "Sooyoung actually asked me out first."

 

 "Who said that?!" her voice came out high and squeaky. Ohohoho, Choi Sooyoung! You're embarrassed aren't you? 

 

 "I don't know what she's told you but... we went out for a couple of dates," I continued, ignoring Sooyoung's furious blush. "And then we were madly in love. We didn't like thinking 'What If?' So..." I took Sooyoung's hand, brushed a light kiss on her knuckles and looked up at her. "We eloped." Her friends all gasped and screamed in delight, while Sooyoung just hid her face and was muttering something about overdoing it. 

 

 So I've done it. Complete support from her friends. 

 

Score!

 

- - - - 

 

 December 15, 2009

 

 1:46PM, my our apartment

 

  "So why are we putting up Christmas decorations so late?" I asked Sooyoung as I hung some baubles on the tree. She smiled happily and fit the angel on top of the tree, placing a few more sparkling baubles on and looking down at me. 

 

 "Because Christmas is my favourite time of the year." she replied. 

 

 "Well why did you decide to decorate so late?"

 

 "Because I'm married and y'know, I'm really busy," she said casually, shrugging as she went to hang fake snow on the windows. I frowned and hung the last bauble on the tree, joining her on the sofa and attaching fake snow to the cold glass. 

 

 "Hmph, just say you're lazy and I'll forgive you."

 

 She looked at me and stuck her tongue out. Oh, don't do that. You don't know what things I want you to do with that tongue. "Well you're busy too. I haven't seen you in a while because you've been in and out of work."

 

 "The hospital never sleeps," I shrugged and rubbed my slightly tired eyes. She caught me doing it and finished tacking the snow, before wrapping her arms around my shoulders and kissing my forehead. I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her in, so that she was sitting on my lap and comforting me. We've become really touchy feely with each other, and holding her doesn't feel new to me anymore. She's become a constant part of my life now, and I'm glad she feels the same way. She can really calm me just by showing her face. 

 

 "Well, I appreciate your concern Sooyoung," I told her. Mmm, she smells good. "But I have to make plans with you."

 

 She looked down at me expectedly, raising a brow. "I've booked an appointment for the nineteenth."

 

 She tensed up and her arms fell by her sides. I could tell she was worried and a little bit sad, so I pulled her in tighter and cradled her in my arms. Poor thing, she must still be blaming herself for something she has no control over. She rested her head on my shoulder. "It's alright Sooyoung. I'll be with you throughout the whole thing."

 

 "Will it hurt?" she asks in such a tiny voice, I felt my heart ache. 

 

 "No, I promise. It'll take a few weeks but... hopefully we'll be able to greet the New Year with a baby. Wouldn't that be nice?" I asked her, looking at her face. She still had crease lines on her forehead, so I kissed them away. 

 

 "Can we really do it Changmin?" she asks, her eyes on me. They were so round and fearful, and I had to step in and be her rock. Sooyoung needed my support, and we both looked forward to having a child so much. But I think she really wanted them even more than I did. 

 

 "Of course we can," I said smiling. "It'll take some time, but we'll definitely give our mothers their grandchilden." She laughed and wrapped her arms around my shoulders again, and we both fell asleep dreaming of our children.

 

-----------------------