So Far Away

Fortune's End
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

So Far Away

 

And just like that, with a snap of the fingers, the four weeks Tao and Jiyoon were together passed.

It was time for Tao to leave.

His ribs had healed well.

Over the course of four weeks, he’d accomplished a lot, if he did say so himself. He’d started to deal with his feelings in a healthy way, by talking to someone he trusted. It was usually Jiyoon, but she always assured him she could handle it. He’d introduced his friends to his girlfriend for the first time ever and he’d survived the first meeting with a girl’s older brother.

Eunkwang had been pretty cool when the two had first met. He’d offered Tao some Hello Panda snacks, which Tao couldn’t possibly turn down. He chilled in a chair and watched a movie while his sister practically cuddled up to Tao on the hospital bed.

And he hadn’t done a damn thing.

The only thing that bothered Tao at all while Eunkwang was near was that Jiyoon was much quieter. She was almost too quiet. She only spoke to Eunkwang when he spoke to her, and she lied through her teeth if she had a horrible day.

Even her smiles looked forced.

Tao knew Jiyoon’s real smile, since he saw it almost every day. The smiles she wore around her older brother were naught but hollow imitations of something priceless and beautiful.

Tao was heaving huge sighs of relief by the time Eunkwang was gone.

As for his friends meeting Jiyoon, it was pretty chaotic.

Sehun and Kai, as well Hanbyul, Kai’s crush and new girlfriend, as had automatically recognized her as a girl in their class who constantly got bullied, although they never knew her name. The boys had sheepishly, apologetically admitted to not associating with her because she was bullied, which earned them a nice glare from Tao and a scolding from Joonmyeon.

Joonmyeon, now there was an angel. He politely introduced himself and his girlfriend, Hyesung. His warm demeanor almost immediately made Jiyoon warm up to him as well as Yixing, who was rather shy around strangers.

Kris and Andi hadn’t said much, but were internally so grateful for Jiyoon. It’d been a long time since they saw Tao smile like he’d smiled at her that day. Andi made it a point to thank the younger girl before she left.

Out of Jongdae, Kyungsoo, and Minseok, the eldest was the one who took to the girl quickly, giving her a giant hug and calling her by the affectionate name “Jiji.”

Unfortunately, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Luhan couldn’t make it to meet Jiyoon. They were too busy with their project only known to their friends as “their great musical endeavor.” Whatever that meant.

Tao was just glad that most of his friends liked her and approved of her.

As he changed into his clothing that Kris brought him, he called to Jiyoon, “Will you be okay? Are you sure you’re okay for me to leave now? I can just have them bring food so you can have some, too!”

He could hear her soft laugh through the door of the bathroom. “No need, Tao. I’ll be fine. Soojung and Eunkwang are coming to visit, so I won’t be alone,” she replied.

He almost frowned.

“If you insist, but I could stay with you.”

“Tao, no. Your friends haven’t been out with you in four weeks.”

With a pout, he grumbled, “Well, it’s been five months now since they’ve invited me out. Another day wouldn’t hurt.” He then clamped his mouth shut, hoping that she hadn’t heard him.

Luckily, it seemed that she hadn’t. “Besides, Eunkwang says he’s coming early to surprise me,” she continued cheerily. “If I need you, I have your phone number and you’ll be the first person I call.” Hearing that brought a soft smile to his face as he pulled his black T-shirt over his head.

“You’d better! I’m expecting a few texts from you, too, let me know how you’re doing,” Tao . He opened the door, strutting out dramatically before doing an exaggerated model turn. “What do you think, am I fabulous?”

Jiyoon let out a giggle and slow clapped for him. “You look fabulous, darling,” she replied, just as teasingly, in a fake posh accent.

He really did look great.

Tao had walked out in a black T-shirt with an upside-down white cross on it and dark blue jeans with a few holes in them and combat boots on his feet. His hair was neatly styled, his fringe sweeping into his eyes. He had crescent moon earrings in his first piercing and then a pair of black rings in his second.

Examining himself once more, Tao nodded in satisfaction. “I do look pretty hot.” Jiyoon raised an eyebrow at him. “What? I’ve always been one to tell the truth, and the truth is that I look hot right now.”

That made a frown wash over Jiyoon’s face.

“You… you haven’t told your friends about your disease yet, have you?”

Tao felt his insides freezing up.

She was right. Although his friends had been visiting him often in the hospital, they only knew that they were there because of his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter