Unexpected defeat

Rewind the Time

Away from the school, Nam Soon started to feel at ease, although a big part in him wants to look at Heung Soo again and ask him, ‘Is there no more Nam Soon in his life’, Nam Soon knows that he’s not that strong to hear the same words again, and he’s afraid it might be worse this time. His heart is far too broken to be fixed, he don’t want to risk it anymore. Nam Soon runs back to his house, only to drop off his bag and picks up a coat. He ignores his grumbling stomach as he locked the front door with one hand, while the other is dialling his boss’s number. “I’m coming over. I’ll start earlier today. Any delivery at the moment?” Nam Soon got a ‘yes’ from his boss and was ordered to come quickly after he briefly explained his tasks. ‘It’s better to keep myself busy now’ Nam Soon thought to himself, as he walking to the nearby bus stand, with his hands tucked inside the pocket.

***

“Park Heung Soo!” Uhm Force called for the third time. Some of the students already looking at him, wondering why he’s refuse to respond back to the Maths Teacher. Uhm Force is definitely not someone you should mess with, even though you are a good fighter. “I can understand if you don’t have the book on your first day. But I want you to come in front and solve the question. I just taught you a while ago. Weren’t you listening?” the teacher taps his hand impatiently on Heung Soo’s table. However, it doesn’t shaken the new student, not even a bit. Instead, Heung Soo glares at the teacher, “You shouldn’t provoke me” before turning back to the front, with his stoic face. The teacher sighed. This new student Park Heung Soo is not an easy guy. He has a bad records and horrible discipline. He had heard many dissatisfy stories from his friends from different schools. Other than that, it seems that he had transferred school a few times and no other school would accept him this time, and that’s how he ends up in Seungri High School. Uhm Force would have bypassed his past records if the boy has a slight interest in study. He studied his face carefully and wonder how come a boy at this age can be so rebellious.   

“Ji hoon, you solve it!” the teacher had picked another student. Ji hoon hesitantly walked to the board, as slow as possible, not forgetting to curse Heung Soo for making him answer the question. He holds the chalk and stares at the question for some time, before shyly turned back to the teacher and say, “Sam, I don’t know how to answer” Another sigh escaped from Uhm Force. “Pay more attention to the class!” he stated sternly. “Kang Joo, you do it” In no time, Kang Joo had written the answer on the board. The teacher smiled, satisfied.

After 20 more minutes of dreadful maths period, the class finally ended. The vice president, Ha Kyung gives respect to the teacher, in replace for the absent President Go. “Park Heung Soo, come see me after the school and Ha kyung, tell Nam Soon to come see me once he’s back” the teacher said before leaving the class.

Heung Soo just frowns at his seat. ‘Uhm Force my ’ He then wears the earphone and plays a song from his iPod. With his hands crossed to his chest and eyes closed, his mind wonder to Nam Soon’s land. He missed the younger so much. He wants to tell him badly. ‘Nam Soon-ah, don’t you miss me too?’

***

“Thank you, sir. Enjoy your meal” Nam Soon hands over the black bean noodle to a middle-aged man and gets the payment in return. He counts the money as to make sure it is the correct amount. Even if it’s a cent less from the actual one, his boss mercilessly will cut it from his salary. He wouldn’t mind if he’s given a considerably good pay, but what he got is barely enough for him to survive. Lately, he spent his money more on ointment and bandages, rather than food. But it’s can’t be avoided. Enemies and new gangs just love to find him these days; either to seek revenges or simply challenge him. Of course he wouldn’t mind beating the crap out of them, but sometimes it’s just too tiring for him. There were times he wanted to stop, but then, he remembered again why he chose this life. Yet, there were times when he wished Heung Soo would appear and tells him to stops. ‘Will there be anyone who plans to pick a fight with me tonight?’ Nam Soon checked the time from his phone; it showed 11 p.m. ‘Aish! This late already? I better hurry. Luckily this is my last delivery’

***

Nam Soon tucked his hands inside the pocket. It’s getting colder, and the neighbourhood is awfully quiet. He pretended to walked straight, ignoring a group of people behind him. The shadow from the road lamps briefly helps Nam Soon to estimates their number; it should be around three to four people. ‘That’s gonna be a piece of cake’, he thought initially.

“Yo Tsunami” two guy, clad in black overtakes him and stand firmly in front of him. “Long time no see” one of them said, mocking him. Nam Soon scratched his head. “Who the hell are you?” he asked, monotone. Truthfully, he’s not in a mood to fight tonight. No matter whom they are or what the reason may be, Nam Soon wants to end it quickly, go home and sleep. He’s exhausted from working all day.

“You punk, you got a gut to ask who am I” he laughed, but only for a while before his face turned ruthless. Nam Soon just rolled his eyes. “Like hell I care, saekkiya!” Nam Soon is now glaring at the leader, showing that he’s not intimated by his presence. The leader growled, “get him!”

Nam Soon got alarmed; he turned around and kicked the person nearest to him to make an opening. That guy was caught off guard and couldn’t defence himself. Nam Soon runs to the nearest alley, he doesn’t like to fight in an open area.  The gang catch up to him in no time. Nam Soon smirked as the gang surround him in a semicircle. Nam Soon throw himself to a guy in front of him, and mercilessly punching him; on his jaw, rib and head, giving him no time to defence himself. The other two guys come to attack him at the same time. Their blows were slow and easy to read for the great Tsunami. Smirking to his opponents, Nam Soon strike back with a greater force. Blood dripping everywhere was like an ecstasy to Nam Soon. He could hardly stop himself. The satisfactory feeling of going wild comes back. “Saekkiya!!!!” the leader shouted and lunge a solid punch from the side. Nam Soon, who is unaware of the coming attack stumble a few steps back from its impact, while the half-dead guy fall to the ground, crying in pain. ‘That’s gonna leave a bruise. Aish!’ Nam Soon spit out the blood from his mouth. The leader becomes more aggressive, throwing punches and kicks toward Nam Soon, aiming it at each possible part of his body. Nam Soon hardly dodging the attacks, while keeping himself on balance; it would be a trouble if he falls. Some of the attack hit his body with a tremendous pain. His white t-shirt started to get stained by his own blood. Nam Soon hold back a shouts each time a blow hit his already bruises body from the previous fight.

Not enough with that, the gang leader landed a kick straight to Nam Soon’s chest, leaving the boy choked for air. “Jo Woon! Jun ki! Secure his hands!” The said guys quickly followed the order. Winching in pain, they got up and hurried to Nam Soon’s side. Nam Soon managed to hit both of them but that’s not long before they got him. Breathless and struggling to free his hands, Nam Soon glare at the leader. “Coward! Afraid you can’t win me by fair?” Nam Soon snorted. His body feels heavy. The leader approach Nam Soon, grabbing a handful of his hair, only to match their eye level. “So you can still talk, you crazy bastard?!” Nam Soon takes the chance of their close distance to kick the guy in front him. His desperate attack landed on the leader’s knee. It was a hard kicks; the leader bended over to the ground. The leader cursed loudly, as he gets back on his leg, looking more ruthless than ever. 

Somehow the scene before him brings back his memory from three years ago. Panicking, Nam Soon’s mind started to play trick on him; the gang leader slowly looking more and more like Heung Soo. Nam Soon was so taken aback; he’s clouded with anxiety, that he’s hardly hear when the gang leader had asked his minions to let his hands free. The furious gang leader look around the dark alley to find a suitable weapon; he intended to finish off Tsunami by tonight by any mean. He doesn’t care even though Nam Soon seems so distracted now and somehow had glued to the ground. Gripping the worn out baseball bat firmly in one hand, he swings it swiftly, aiming at Nam Soon’s head. Nam Soon, who is still unable to snap out from the delusion, unable to dodge it; he falls flats to the ground, his head bleeding freely. Seeing the unresponsive Tsunami was like a life time chance. Without further ado, he starts another round of kicks, as he throws away the blood stained bat.

Nam Soon POV

Ugh! It’s hurt like hell. Why can’t I move my body?! Because it’s Heung Soo…that standing before me…? No! It’s not! But I’m too shocked..and I got no energy left. I curled up in pain, my blood’s everywhere. I feel stupid…how can I lost my conscious in a fight. My eyelid feels heavier. Am I going to die tonight? With a final kick, the gang leader laughed evilly. Squatting down beside me, he look at me in the eyes, “That would do. Learn your lesson well, my dear Tsunami” he traced his finger down my bloody face. I feel disgusted. If only I can do something now!! UGH! But still, I tried to remember his face. I won’t let this happen again. Just wait, you son of a b*tch!

He laughed again, his hateful voice make me sick. I clutched my stomach, fighting to stay conscious. I still need to go back by my own and look after my wounds. It’s already a long night, does it has to continue? I faintly hear their retreating footsteps, leaving me all alone in the dark. Run now saekiyya…save your asses..I will surely find you soon!   

***

Heung Soo is getting uneasy with each passing minute. Again, he checked his phone and it showed 15 minutes past midnight. ‘Where are you saekkiya?!’ Heung Soo rubs his hands together. He’s been waiting for Nam Soon for over 2 hours now but still there’s no sign of him. Fidgeting back and forth, Heung Soo wonders if he should go around the neighbourhood and look for the younger. ’10 more minutes and I will do that!’

From far Heung Soo saw someone approaching. He had his head low, one hand holding his stomach and the other dropped down. His steps are random. Once a while he stopped, as if to catch his breath, before continue back. Heung Soo’s eyes go wide; that lean tall guy, that haircut, ‘It can’t be Nam Soon…please! Please don’t!’  Heung Soo hurriedly goes over to the guy. Shocked was an understatement for his feeling now. “NAM SOON-AH!!” Heung Soo placed his hand on the younger’s shoulder. Nam Soon’s slowly looked up.’It can’t be him..must be my mind again…’

Heung Soo didn’t let another second past, as he quickly carried the younger bridal style. Even though he’s trying to be careful with his touch, afraid that he applied too much pressure on that wounded body, Nam Soon still winched under him. Nam Soon mumbled incoherent word that Heung Soo didn’t bother to listen to. All that he knows now is he has to attend the wounds as quick as possible. “Yah saekkiya!! Don’t sleep..do you hear me..?! Yah!!!” Heung Soo was so frightened when Nam Soon’s eyes started to close. He runs back to Nam Soon’s house and he kicks the door few times with much force until it opened. He then went straight to the younger’s room and carefully placed him on the bed.

Heung Soo POV

I run off to the kitchen and get a big basin of water. Entering the room again, I leave the basin by the small table beside the bed before rummage through the room. I checked the closet, every inch of it, in search for a first aid box. When I found nothing, I go back the bedside table and open the drawers, one by one. The first two drawers are empty.

 “Here it is!” I take out the box from third drawers. There’s a small sized plastic bag in the same drawer. I opened it and saw a bottle of ointment and few bandages. Together with plastic bag and first aid box, I get on the bed. A large gash of blood from the side of Nam Soon’s head got my attention. “This looks bad!” I reach out a clean towel and press it on the wound. After I make sure no more blood spilling out, I cleaned the dried blood and bandaged it carefully. “Did you let your guard down or were you outnumbered?” I asked to the unconscious Nam Soon. The younger rarely got a serious injury in a fight. A couple of bruises or a sprained limbs and a little cut here and there on his face are normal. But this time, it’s too bad, that I can’t stop my racing heart. I’m going to find the bastards that dared to injure my precious Nam Soon. I gritted my teeth to control the anger. For now, Nam Soon is more important. Taking a new towel, I soaked it in the water and carefully wiped off the blood stain on Nam Soon’s face. I avoid the bruises that started to turn purple. I traced it with other hand “It must be hurt….Nam Soon-ah..mianhe…I weren’t there to help you” I won’t let you get into a fight alone anymore. The promise I made to you long time ago, is still fresh in my mind. I will keep it  and Nam Soon-ah “I never meant to abandoned you…not three years ago…and definitely not now “ I love you, saekkiya…

Holding back my tears, I slowly lift him, in attempt to remove the coat. I stare at his lean figure for a moment before my hands make its way to ed Nam Soon’s shirt. I gasped at the bruises; there are too many, almost in every part of his upper body. My diminished anger hit again. I wiped off the dried blood on the upper body, before reaching the ointment and apply it as careful as possible. Though he’s unconscious, I don’t want to add any more pain to him. Then I proceed to flip him over. If he got this much bruises on this side, there must be some on the other side too. I can only hope it won’t be as bad as the front’s. Lucky enough, it’s only a few. I repeat my precious action; applying the ointment on the bruises. However, an ugly purplish black bruise near his left shoulder caught my breath. “Don’t tell me it’s broken?!” Instant fear slapped me. I remembered his limping hand just now. With a shaky hand, I touch it softly. I could hear Nam Soon’s muffled moan. I quickly retreat my hand. I run out to the kitchen. Checking the fridge, I searched for an ice pack. Then I hurriedly get back to Nam Soon. I brought the ice pack closer to the shoulder and press it, not too hard, afraid that it would worsen it. I let it there for some time before I wipe the water droplet on Nam Soon’s shoulder. I take the ointment again and apply it thoroughly before I take a new bandage and wrapped it over the injured shoulder. I need to make sure he goes to hospital to check up on his head and shoulder once he’s awake. “Rest well Nam Soon-ah” I pecked his cheek before I go out from the room.

p/s : ok..i never write a fighting scene or attend someone else wound so if it's sound weird to you, I apologise