After three years

Rewind the Time

Monday comes again. The bus is awfully packed with students. The bus has stopped again for the n-nth time, picking up new passengers.  Kang Joo, who is amongst the newly boarded passenger, quickly noticed her fellow classmate at the back row. As usual he had his eyes closed and his head rested against the window. She smiled before slowly make her way to the boy, Go Nam Soon. A cold man without much word. He rarely talks in class though he was elected as the class president. But lucky enough, she is one of the people that Nam Soon talked to. However that comes with absolute price. She always has to watch herself, as to avoid addressing the tall boy by his name. There was once, one of their classmates, Byun Ki Duk, accidently called the boy by his name and that poor boy had to pay a hell price. She could still remember the look in Nam Soon’s eyes; it was terrifying. He instantly let out a murderous aura and jumped on Ki Duk, only to beat the hell out of him. Luckily, Uhm Force came to the rescue. Nam Soon was punished accordingly, but since that day, nobody dares to call him by his name anymore. Everyone has agreed to address him as ‘President’.

“Yo President” Kang Joo smacked the said boy head lightly. Nam soon opened his eyes annoyingly, “Do you want to die?”, he glared afterword. But Kang Joo just laughed. The threat means nothing to her anymore. It already becomes their normal conversation, thanks to her endless efforts to make Nam Soon a friendlier person. Up until this moment, she still can’t believe that the guy before her eyes is the same fearful jjang, Tsunami. There are too many rumours about him, of course the bad one. Recently, she heard that Nam Soon send a group of students from U High School to hospital with a complete ‘package’. She even heard that the leader of the gang is currently coma. It took a lot of effort for her to stops herself from asking Nam Soon about the incident. She decided to let it remained as rumours. There is still part in her that believe Nam Soon is not that kind of guy.  Because she saw how Nam Soon struggle to contained the beast Tsunami from appearing within school compound. But of course, there is a little exception, once in a while, but that’s only happened when someone bothered him or he saw anyone disturbed Han Young Woo. For some reason, Nam Soon has a soft spot for him.

“Yah~ Is this how you greet a girl, a.k.a your girlfriend, a.k.a your bodyguard?” Kang Joo started to scold him. However, Nam Soon just closed his eyes again, too lazy to entertain the girl right now. He really needs a sleep, or even a nap. The bruises on his body are still aching. Last weekend, he lost his sense again, due to the bastards from U High School who dared to mess with him on the way back from his part-time job. On top of that, that son of b*tch dared to mentioned that name. The name he tried to erase from his memory. The name that haunt his sleepless night for the past three years. That very same name that responsible for his current self. Since that night, he had abandoned his name, Go Nam Soon, which only mean, he throw away all the good sides in him, leaving him with only the beast- Tsunami; that only knows blood and pain.

Kang Joo pouted and hit his head. “Yah!!” Nam Soon glared at the fearless girl. No matter how he tried to push her away, she still comes back. She always sticks by his side. Since he wasn’t planning to make any friend at school, what more participating in the school or class event, he acted cold toward everyone. But this girl still directed him towards it, until he was elected as the class president. Nam Soon can’t shake off his uneasy feeling. Kang Joo reminds him so much about that person. He used to be his shield, stopping him from losing his mind, stopping him from killing the others gang. The promise he once made, meant nothing to Go Nam Soon anymore. Because that guy already throw him away from his life. When night comes and loneliness become too hard to bear, that cruel words come across his mind, over and over again. It would left him in tear, fear and it usually ended with anger. Either he finds someone to release his frustration, or he simply hurt himself, however, none of it could cure his heart; It was long dead and Go Nam Soon has stopped hoping for a miracle. That’s why watching Kang Joo every day make him a little better. She may not be able to fill the emptiness in his heart, but at least Nam Soon doesn’t lose his self completely to darkness. After living an aimless and reckless life for almost three years, Nam Soon is finally able to breathe.

“Time for school” she chirped happily. She attempted to make the boy stand and make sure he attends the classes. Nam Soon hissed and reluctantly gets up. His shoulder is still paining; if Kang Joo exerts more force on it, it might take a longer time to heal. And that’s would bother his part-time job. He wouldn’t want it to happen. “Arasso. Now let go of my hand” Nam Soon tried to pry off the girl’s grip but she is strong. “ Don’t want” she stuck out her tongue and locked their hands together, and began her blabbering all the way down the corridor until they entered the classroom. She escorted him to his seat before walking to her own.

Once she settled down, Ha Kyung, her brilliant best friend, moves closer to her and whisper softly, “Again ? like seriously Kang Joo-ah” Ha Kyung takes a quick glance toward Nam Soon, and Kang Joo follow suit. Nam Soon already started his daily routine; sleeping. “What?” Kang Joo asked, play dumb with her friend. She knows that Ha Kyung is worried about her. She always nag at her; ‘Why I always see you enter the class with him every morning’ , ‘Yah~ Do you like him? Aish! You better not!’ , ‘ Don’t you have any other things to do than hanging around him’,  and asked her to stop mingle around Nam Soon too much. Well, Kang Joo can’t blame Ha Kyung to feel such way, and other students too, but she hoped that they could see the better side of him. Once, she saw him smiling to Young Woo and protect him from Jung Ho, that guy had gained her respect. That’s make her wants to know more about the tall guy and helps him.

“I told you Kang Joo-ah…many times..he’s dangerous! Leave him alone. Don’t get involve with him” Ha Kyung grips Kang Joo’s shoulder. Kang Joo rolled her eyes and playfully shoo Ha Kyung to her own desk. She then takes out her Korean Literature book and lazily flips through the pages, waiting for the homeroom teachers. They should be here any time. Ha Kyung sighed and get back to her book. It’s a waste to talk to Kang Joo about this matter. That’s girl won’t back off from Nam Soon.

A moment later, Ms Jung entered the class and look at her students. Some are still chatting, some are sleeping, some are playing with their phones and only a few students are studying. Mr Kang enter the class from the back door and stand firmly beside Oh Jung Ho. The two homeroom teachers exchange glares with each other, before Mr Kang make an obvious sound by clearing his throat to get everyone’s attention. The students then keep away the unnecessary things and properly sit at their respective seats. “Class!” Ms Jung started. “We have a new student today. Let’s welcome him”

The door being opened and closed with a loud thud disturbs Nam Soon’s sleep. With an eye closed, he lifts his head a bit and look to the front. The guy standing in front of the class brings anger in him. He gritted his teeth and looked at him, disbelief. “Hello. Park Heung Soo. Please take care of me” the tall guy introduced himself with less interest, stoic face and monotone voice. Right after the little introduction, their eyes met again after three years. Heung Soo is taken aback. Out of all places, he finally meets Nam Soon again. Here, in a classroom nonetheless. Nam Soon however didn’t spare a second look towards Heung Soo. ‘I am dead to him. Nothing more and nothing less’ Nam Soon thought to himself and decided to continue his sleep.

Once seated, Heung Soo stares at his right side. Though only one desk separate him from Nam Soon, but in really, the gap between them are too wide to conquer. If only he can’t drag the boy out of the class and make him listens to his words; he got a lot to say. He needs to clear things up between them. He needs to do it quick. Three years without Nam Soon, his life was miserable. He searched the boy everywhere, almost every day, but he never got a chance to meet him to explain himself and take back his harsh words. Nam Soon doesn’t deserve any of it. He was at wrong, compared to physical injury that Nam Soon gave him, Heung Soo knows that he had hurt the younger beyond his imagination. He tried to call him but the number was no longer in use. Not long after that, his sister decided to move to another neighbourhood, making it harder to find the boy. Every day, Heung Soo live in agony, regretting his action and wishing he hadn’t say any of it to the person he care and love the most.

***

Recess finally here. Soon as the bell goes off and the teacher is out of sight, Nam Soon grabbed his bag pack and escaped through the back door without any words. Heung Soo, who is unable to stop the younger when he walked passed him, is debating whether to run after him or not. They maybe in the same school and even in the same class now, but that doesn’t guarantee anything. Furthermore, the look in Nam Soon’s eyes worries him. Those were Tsunami’s eyes, not Nam Soon’s. Without wasting much time, he runs out of the class, looking for the tall guy.

Byun Ki Duk then run the window and saw Heung Soo running towards the stairs. “What was that?” Few more students joined Ki Duk but they had lost sight of Heung Soo. “Where’s the president went to ? He even took his bag with him” The students started to gossip around and created speculation. Though Nam Soon cut class every once in a while, he never looked so pissed off like just now. And why the new student so concern about President Go. 

***

Nam Soon POV

I have to get out from here. I can’t see him now, heck! I don’t want to see him at all. Being with him in the same place is too suffocating for me. I need an escape. I was angry, so angry that I could kill anybody who talked to me right now, but on contrary, I am hurt. Deep inside, I feel as if a blade is slicing and stabbing my heart over and over again. I can’t let him see me in this way. I am not weak. I can survive, even without him by my side.

 With no time, I am at the back gate of the school. I am ready to climb it but a strong grip on my injured shoulder make me winced. I bite my lips in order to prevent any voice out. Even if I don’t turned around, I know the hand belonged to that person.

Heung Soo POV

I put more force on his shoulder and I felt him tremble under my touch. “Nam Soon-ah” I called out, as I stand before him. His eyes are dark but they never looked as lost as now. His expression changed. Not a single smile, instead he’s showing a sullen face, which makes me shivered. “Nam Soon-ah” I called again.

He smirked bitterly. “Oh please ~ don’t make me laugh. Who did you called Nam Soon? If I remember it right, that person had long dead to you, since three years ago. So, off saekkiya!! “ He hastily removed my hand on his shoulder, before he climb the wall and jumped off to the other side. I saw him running away, getting further from my sight. I looked at my hand, the one that Nam Soon holds for a brief moment- it was cold…

Nam Soon-ah…mianhe

I blinked away the tears and slowly make my way back to the classroom. I would have cut school if I had my bag with me. But again, it’s not a wise decision; even if he manage to catch up with the younger, he wouldn’t want to talk to me now, moreover, I had promised my noona to graduate from high school. I have to try, no matter what.

p/s: again..all the mistakes..i am sorry.