Chapter 3

Can you love me again? - 나를 다시 사랑 할 수 있을까요?

The next day when Donghae woke up alone in the bed, he sat up confused and looked around himself. "Hailee?" he called. There was no response so Donghae turned to the clock and instantly saw the note that lay there beside the clock. He read it and thought nothing more of it, but instead he got up and went to take a refreshing shower. He spent a little extra time on his hair this day as he knew it was a special, once in a lifetime day. Just when he'd finished everything and was about to put on his clothes, the doorbell rang. He in secret hoped it would be Hailee but since she hardly knocked on her own door, Donghae understood that it must be his friends, coming to help him out. It was Eunhyuk, Leeteuk, Heechul and Siwon who came in.

"We're here!" Heechul shouted. Donghae walked out to the hallway to see his four friends already neatly dressed in their suits – he wore his own too. "Wow, you look really handsome!" Heechul complimented, eyeing Donghae up and down. Donghae smiled.

"Thank you hyung," he replied.

"Where's the bride then?" Eunhyuk asked while finding the hallway mirror and began checking himself in it.

"I actually have no idea. She went out earlier this morning. She left a note saying that she wanted to fix something. And well, I don't think she was really awake when she wrote that note..." Donghae chuckled, making the others turn to him. "She told me to bring her dress to the chapel but I don't want to see it," Donghae simply explained.

"Oh, no problem. I can take it," Leeteuk offered.

"Did she have any jewellery or something that she wanted to bring also?" Siwon asked.

"Yeah, but I know which those are so I can take them," Donghae answered.

"Don't be silly, I'll take them," Siwon protested with a gentle smile. Donghae thanked him and together they began preparing the last things before they headed to the hotel where the dinner would be. Donghae inspected everything, down to the last petal. He wanted it all to be perfect, since his bride was perfect he thought she deserved the best. Afterwards he and his friends went to the chapel. It was only two hours left now. Donghae and the others sat down to have something quick to eat and Ryeowook had made them food, he was always so considerate. In the middle of the lunch the door opened and Hailee's two best friends walked in.

"Donghae, do you know where Hailee is? We can't find her and she isn't answering her phone. She should've been here by now," Sun-mi said. Donghae stood up.

"She's not here?" he questioned. They both shook their heads. Donghae frowned and ran inside the room where Hailee should've been, finding it empty. He picked up his phone and while dialling her number ran around the chapel. When Hailee didn't answer, Donghae called the hotel to see if she was there but they told him they hadn't seen her at all. Donghae looked down at his watch, it was 12:00 and only an hour left until the wedding started. Donghae tried calling her over ten times before he gave up. He went back to his own room. His friends looked at him worriedly. "She's not here," Donghae confirmed to them. The ten guys stood up, probably prepared to go search for Hailee. Suddenly, Donghae clenched his fist and with all force he possessed slammed it in the door. The ten guys gasped out of fright and some even backed away. Donghae's head was bent down so none of them saw the tears that had crept out of his eyes, that were rolling down his cheeks then finally dropped down on the floor from his chin. He leaned on the marble wall behind him, hiding his tears and his face in his sleeve. "I knew she would do this!" he cried. He wanted to hit the wall but the power to do so had disappeared.

"Donghae, calm down. She's just a bit a late, that's all," Eunhyuk tried to assure him. He stood by Donghae's side and rubbed his back. "Calm down. It's traffic, nothing else. She's going to be here."

Donghae shook his head. "No, she's not coming. I understood it yesterday. I asked her if she was sure about this and she stayed silent for too long. There's nothing to be done. She's not coming, Hyuk. Send the guests home and don't tell my mother. Please."

"But Donghae-"

"I know she's not coming. She's run off with that guy at my work... What's his name? Oh, right. Jae-Hwa. It doesn't matter anyway. Just cancel the wedding. It's over." Donghae walked out without another word and sat down on the stairs at the end of the aisle. He thought about the night before. He wished he'd done something more the second he saw that flash of doubt in Hailee's eyes. He wished he could go back, hold her tighter. He even wished he woke up in time to see her leave, because perhaps he had been able to stop her then? I knew this would happen. Yet I didn't do anything to stop it. He took out the ring that lay in his pocket. It was an unusual ring that Hailee herself had picked out. A silver ring, not too thin nor too thick and to make it perfect to Hailee, there was one single, small black rose attached. Donghae's lips curved up into a barely visible smile as he remember how Hailee had picked that ring. "She said she needed something that represented her and that was simple yet beautiful... Just like she was," Donghae whispered. He stood up with the ring still in his hand. He stared at it blankly. A pool of tears formed around the ring and Donghae hated it now. He wanted to throw the ring across the big room and he longed to hear it break when it hit the floor on the other side. "I loved you. Why did you do this to me?"

-

The car stopped right in front of the church and Hailee sprung out of it as fast as she could. Eunhyuk and Siwon had already started to inform the guests that the wedding was cancelled. Hailee ran up to Eunhyuk and pulled his arm. "Don't! I'm here!" she yelled.

"Hailee? Where on earth have you been?!" Eunhyuk shouted back at her.

"I'll explain later. Just make sure that none of the guests leave, please!" Hailee pleaded. Her breath was heavy after running and the tears were close to fall again. Eunhyuk nodded and quickly hugged her.

"Leave it to me. Go talk to Donghae. He thinks you've left him. He told us he knew that you would do this but..." Eunhyuk sighed. "You'll just have to talk to him. That's the only way. Go."

Hailee nodded and walked past the guests. Her mother tried to grip her, wanting to know what was going on. "I'll explain later!" Hailee yelled while running up the small hill to the chapel and inside of it. She stopped in the entrance. Slowly and on shaky legs, Hailee began walking the way towards the aisle. It hurt seeing all that the members and her friends had done because everything was perfect, just like she wanted it to be. Hailee didn't even feel sure that it was enough of Donghae into the whole décor... She only saw herself, everywhere she went. Suddenly, and without noticing, Hailee had reached the aisle. There was just one problem; she didn't look like a bride – she wasn't wearing a wedding dress nor the shoes, her hair was messy and her makeup wasn't on either. Yet, on the other side he was. Perfect, handsome and just like she had imagined for so long. He stood with his back to her and she could see that his head was bent down, suggesting that he had cried, because Donghae always had his head down when he cried – he hated when others saw his tears. Hailee wanted to call his name but she had no idea if her voice would hold for it. Right now it felt thick, swollen and broken. Also, the tears hindered her from uttering a single word because she didn't want to break down completely. However, the church betrayed her. As her feet hit the ground the sound went up from the floor and expanded to all corners in the church. Hailee stopped and waited. She could hear the deep breath Donghae took before he spoke.

"I thought you had left me. Hm. Did you go with him?" Donghae's voice was firm yet emotionless. Hailee swallowed hard.

"W-who?" she managed to whisper.

"Jae-Hwa. I know you like him. Although, not how much you like him. Not that it matters now. I've cancelled the wedding. There's nothing more to it. It's over," Donghae said.

"Donghae, please, listen to me. I had a mom- not even that! A second... It wasn't even doubt! I was afraid that you loved me more than I love you and that you would realise it one day and-"

"And what? That's a pathetic excuse Hailee and you are fully aware of it. It's fine that you don't want to marry me, I only wish that you would have told me yesterday when I asked you. I understood that you lied, that you waited for too long... But it doesn't matter now. I'm humiliated in front of everyone and-"

"Donghae! Stop! Please, I don't want to hear it! I can't hear it. It's too much for me..."

At that comment, Donghae started laughing. A shallow, horrible laugh that you hear in horror movies. "That was too much for you?! What the about me then?! Did I ever cross your mind when you ran off with one of my employees?"

"Of course! You were the only thing I thought about! I was afraid Hae."

"Then you're not ready and I shouldn't force you. I don't know if I ever did but let's just forget it now. I forgive you. And I hope you forgive me." Finally he turned around to face her. Their eyes met and both were filled with tears. "I love you Hailee. More than anything..."

"I love you too! More than anything as well!"

"Then why are we standing here? Like this. Crying. Not next to each other. Not being happy. Tell me that Hailee and then tell me how to delete this and move on."

"M-move on?"

"Yes. We aren't getting married today Hailee. I hope you understand that." Hailee watched as Donghae walked down towards her. She felt her knees buckle under her and at the same time they ran to him. She wrapped her arms tightly around his neck and cried on his shoulder. He smelled as amazing as he always did, she would miss it so much. Donghae hugged her back and her hair. "I love you Hailee. And maybe, in a couple of months we can try again. But not now. Not today, my princess. Don't worry, I'll go out and tell the guests and inform them but this is going to stay between us." He took a hold of her arms and brought them down along her sides, holding her hands in his. "Goodbye princess." He leaned forward and placed a last, gentle kiss on her forehead. Not many have felt the pain Hailee felt at that moment. Words cannot describe how much she regretted her actions, her sayings, her betrayal. Far too soon, Donghae took a step back and then walked past her, out. Hailee sat down on the floor. She just wanted to cry right now... Now Hailee realised that Donghae wouldn't die without her, but she would die without him.


Not to worry my dear readers, there will be an epilogue ^^