Chapter 13

Damsel Causing Distress
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

True to her words, Sojin never strayed out of my sight all throughout the festive night.

We were sitting with Baekhyun close to the stage. Jongdae was still out with Jimin. Tao had been summoned backstage an hour ago. There was this transitional part in the musical where it involved a martial artist; the original character got injured and Tao was requested for replacement. Yixing still had not come back since Lichen had fetched him earlier and was probably rehearsing in the dressing room at the moment.

"I'm finally going to see Yixing dance," Sojin mused by my side, excitement in her voice.

"Me too," Baekhyun blurted out beside her.

Sojin was squatting in between me and Baekhyun. I would've wanted her beside me and Baekhyun at my other side but of course that flirty puppy wanted her for himself too. Though I knew his affections were purely filial, it still pricked my scalp that he could afford being all touchy with her without getting paralyzed; I knew I'd be if I were in his place.

My chest warmed at Sojin's succeeding words. "I wished I'd seen you too, Luhan." She looked up at me and smiled. "D'ya think you'll be dancing again?"

"No." My answer didn't affect her. But her nonchalance unsettled me. "I don't think so," I added. Couldn't she at least pretend to mourn over not seeing me dance again?

"Okay." She kept her gaze. "Do you sing, too?"

The question startled me, and I wanted to lie. I'd conducted concerts, you see, in the confines of my rectangular, tiled bathroom. And I believed I sounded acceptable, but I hadn't really entertained the prospect of having an audience, not even one soul.

And yet, in my deepest cravings, I liked to consider making Sojin an exception. Maybe, in all her selfless glory, she'd appreciate my voice. She might even love it.

I was gripped with fresh confidence, and even though Baekhyun - that walking lady killer, thanks to his heaven-sent voice - was within earshot, I found myself replying with a firm, "Yes."

Sojin didn't look shocked, I was starting to suspect she'd known all along, though in what manner I had absolutely no idea.

"Will I be able to hear it then?" She grinned. "Your singing?"

"Maybe," I replied. Baekhyun didn't seem attentive to our conversation so I added, "If you can convince me to."

She adopted a thoughtful expression before saying, "Okay."

A glance at my watch informed me it was half past eight. Thirty minutes more before the play started. Enough time, I thought, to grab a bite from the nearby food stands.

Before I could ask Sojin, my phone burst in a defeaning shrill.

Sirens. Heck.

"What's that?" Sojin queried calmly.

"Emergency," I muttered. Really? Now of all freakin times. I punched in the silent button. "Prefect duties. I gotta run."

I scanned the message as I jogged away from the field, and something distracted me.

Sojin had caught up.

"What're you doing here?" I demanded, stopping by the roofless foyer that conjoined the field and quadrangle.

"You told me to stay within sight," she answered innocently.

Right. Heavens. I weighed my options: sending her safely back to Baekhyun or bringing her along as I attended to this emergency, possibly dangerous.

"I'm fine, Luhan," she said before I could make a choice. "Come on, where are you headed?"

"08:32 PM. Missing costumes at Dance Studio C. Any form of help is highly appreciated. [Head Prefect]"

Seriously? Sirens for freaking costumes gone MIA? Was this some kind of joke? This wasn't an emergency. Not even close. If anything, it's a mere negligence of stylists.

It. Was. Madness.

I looked at an expectant Sojin and my agitation was abruptly washed with relief. There was no imminent danger at least.

As if it weren't enough that he'd called us for nothing, my Head told me he had only alerted through sirens because he was sure Prefects were having the time of their lives. And sure enough, I was the only one who responded.

"Guess that makes you the better man," Sojin beamed. "Hey, look! It's Yixing! And he's -" She glided towards him. "You look amazing, Yixing."

Yixing looked pleased. "Sojin, you're here. Hi." He peered beyond her shoulder at me and waved.

I waved back, allowing my Head's words to enter one ear and exit the other.

"Luhan! Are you listening?"

"What? Uh, yeah, sure." I went for Sojin but my Head steered me out the dressing room.

"The dance studios are in the Arts Building, Luhan."

What dance studios? He's not exactly serious, was he? Searching for costumes?

My Head glared.

Okay, maybe he was. I threw one last glimpse at Sojin, still immersed in conversation with my dimpled friend, and trudged ahead.

The first two dance studios were hollow voids. The third was packed with props, but there were no human costumes in sight. I ventured deeper into the chaos, sidestepping strewn canvases and skipping tossed cloths.

Nothing.

Annoyed, I abandoned all attempts to check the remaining three studios and stalked back towards the first dressing room.

Reflected on the mirror was Yixing talking animatedly with Jongin and Sehun. They seemed close, more at ease with each other. Jongin caught my eye on the reflective glass and nodded courteously in recognition. I waved back.

Where's Sojin?

As I neared the three, I realized they were discussing college applications.

"It's such an opportunity that their Dean's a special guest," Yixing gabbed. "And two more choreographer Professors are invited."

"I hope I'm offered a scholarship," said Sehun, looking hopeful indeed. "My parents are only allowing me if I get into their scholarship program."

Yixing tapped him on the back. "They'll notice you tonight, I'm sure. And in case they don't, which is unlikely, you still have two years in highschool. Perhaps Junior or Senior years would open for you better chances."

"How 'bout you, Hyung?" Jongin changed course. "Not interested in Arts School?"

"Of course he is," Sehun alleged before Yixing could comment. "Hyung, don't waste all your musical and artistic abilities. You must get into an Arts College."

"I'm hoping." Yixing rubbed the back of his neck. He seemed to do the gesture whenever he's being shy.

Clearing my throat, I took on interrupting in the least intrusive manner. "Have you guys seen Sojin?"

They all turned.

"Hyung!" Sehun yelped. "You're dancing again?"

"Not really." I faced Yixing, awaiting enlightenment on Sojin's whereabouts.

"I think she went out to find my costume." He eyed his shimmering get-up. "Er, Lichen has already found me a substitute but she missed Sojin. I think Sojin's still searching. I can't call her though, I forgot my phone in the dorm."

And I still had not asked for her number. Darn. "Do you know where she might be looking?"

"I think in the other dressing room or in the dance studios. I don't know where else the staff stored outfits bef -"

I'd already sprinted out. I ruled out the studios; I'd just been there so we would have crossed paths on her way. Which led me to the other dressing room.

My panic rose alarmingly when I couldn't find Sojin in the twin room. There was no tangible basis for my unrest; it had barely been fifteen minutes since she left my sight - or rather, since I averted my watch. But I was dripping in terror.

I called Baekhyun but he never picked up. The program was starting and I imagined Baekhyun indulged in the show.

Where was she?

Hopefully - stupidly - I scampered around campus. The search for a slim, pale and eternally lethargic girl was on. I checked the ground floor of each building. I scanned the huddle of deserted benches. I poked through food and souvenir stalls. Gripped with desperation, I even surveyed the field, scuttling crouched line after line of seated viewers, and to their furious protests. I didn't care.

Where the heck was Sojin?

I rounded back to the dressing rooms, but Yixing and the rest were no longer there. They were probably already in the backstage.

I stared at my phone. I had neither Sojin's nor Lichen's contact numbers. Tao, Yixing and Baekhyun were all unavailable at the moment.

Jongdae.

I scrolled down the screen and dialled Jongdae's digits.

"Hey, Luhan. How's the dance?"

"I'm not performing. Have you seen Sojin?" As the question left my mouth, I realized Jongdae couldn't have known. He'd been out with Jimin all evening. Of course he'd be clueless.

"Sojin?" He echoed. "I haven't seen her all day, Luhan. Maybe she's in the field. I'm in the field, too. Jimin's gone home. Hey, wait, you're not performing?"

"No, I was just a substitute. Gotta go. Baekhyun's at the front by the center stage." I hung up.

I dashed aimlessly around. How could she even disappear in a matter of fifteen minutes? I was clutching onto my last thread of sanity. Any second now and I swore I was going to start hollering for her.

Crazed by her loss, I hustled back towards the dance studios. It was as barren as it had been.

"Darn it, Sojin," I hissed as I crept towards the end of the hall. "Where the hell are you?"

More incensed than I had ever been in my entire life, I stormed out the Arts Building. As I stepped out though, a muffled sob broke the silence. I swiveled around.

"Sojin?"

No response. Was I imagining things? Hearing sounds that weren't there? As far as my ears were concerned, there was only the hopeless pounding of my heart.

But there was no other place to go. I had just stripped the school grounds. So I ventured back towards the shadowed corridor. I reached the end with a soft thud, the sound created by the wood and my foot's collision. I felt the surface with my hand and as it glided downward, a mount of cold metal impeded its route. A door knob.

I twisted it open and fumbled for the switch. I gaped, laying eyes on a much larger studio I didn't even know existed. On the left was a glass compartment housing a full band of instruments. Wires of different hues tangled around and dangled from the mixers' jacks. Around three mic stands flanked the onyx-surfaced piano. On my right were tall adjacent cabinets that extended from floor to roof. It covered half the eastern mirrored walls; the entire room was actually mirrored.

The grandness consumed me. And it was then that it came again. Muffled sobs.

Goosebumps erupting from nape down to my spine, I stepped further inside. I wasn't sure why I thought about it but when I spoke, it was Sojin's name that escaped my lips.

As soon as it was out, the sobs ceased. I vividly saw the faint, almost translucent hair across my forearms stand on end.

An eerie silence dragged before a bang on wood exploded, closely followed by a panicked, weeping plea.

"Lu.. Luh-han? I-is th-that you?"

My eyes traced the source and landed on one of the towering cabinets.

"Sojin?" What the heck? "Sojin, where are -"

"Luhan!" She banged on the wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter