Chapter 12

Damsel Causing Distress
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was definitely not the face. I may have admitted to her being pretty but the fact still stood that I first thought her weird. And I also did mention about getting brainwashed by popular opinion.

It was not the brains either because for one, sharing the top spot on certain occasions was not that welcome an occurrence. And for another, smart girls who aimed to crush you and steal your pedestal weren't supposed to stir up romantic affections whatsoever, right?

I wouldn't say it was the heart either because in all honesty, the girl's kindness just stretched to an extent that no longer made one feel comfortable. On the contrary, it had made one seem so evil just because she'd opted to volunteer to do the job that nobody else wanted. Or something to that idea.

And I'd be retarded to say it was the eccentricity. Like she had said, I tended to question her sanity every few minutes so the state of her saneness could never be the ground upon which my affections were rooted.

Which led me to consider that it must be the combination of all. The face and the brains and the heart and the queerness: it made a peculiar concoction but given enough time to brew, perhaps it was just the recipe I'd been looking for.

"Luhan."

I jolted out of my reverie. All of my friends were staring incredulously.

"What?"

Jongdae scoffed. "Were you even listening?"

"He's not awake yet," Tao seconded.

"Or perhaps he just needs a dose of Sojin." Baekhyun sneered.

I forgot we were eating early supper and I coughed out whatever food I'd just swallowed.

The guys burst into a chorus of ew's and gross's and yuck's as they emptied my vicinity. Chugging empty the bottled water Yixing had tossed me, I eyed with remorse the tiny patch of puke that was originally Kyungsoo's spaghetti.

"What a waste," mumbled Jongdae.

"Feel free to dig in then." I got a punch on the shoulder.

It was only five in the afternoon but the weather was freezing cold. The field was being restructured for tonight's program, a mix of Maintenance and Janitorial Committee people running about. And I wasn't supposed to feel anxious since tonight was sort of an easy night for the Juniors. The two-hour play, which was going to be aired on three large screens around campus in addition to the live one on the field stage, was intended to settle people into their seats.

And yet I couldn't help the nagging feeling that something was going to happen later. I just hoped it didn't have anything to do with Sojin.

And speaking of Sojin, I hadn't seen her all day. I woke up to an empty couch this morning and the campus held no signs of her either. Maybe she'd gotten too tired taking care of everyone the previous night and was replenishing her energy the whole day.

"Why did Kyungsoo cook us spaghetti again?" Another punch to my shoulder. "What?"

Baekhyun pulled Jongdae by the neck and walked ahead. "Leave him, he's hopeless. In the meantime, tell me exactly what is happening between you and Jimin?"

"Yeah," Tao chimed, hopping along. "It's the third time she's given you chocolates."

"It's nothing."

Whoah man, Jimin hitting on Jongdae? A fellow Prefect having the hots for her sunbae? I trotted along, eager to scoop up information. Why didn't I know about this?

I looked back to a lagging Yixing. "Did you know about this?"

He shrugged. "I only knew when Jongdae threw a fit yesterday because I accidentally ate his chocolates."

I didn't have the chance to sulk over being left out because when we stepped into the quadrangle, Park Jimin was there, all dressed up for.. a date?

"Jongdae-oppa.. hi.." Jimin beamed sheepishly at him. It took a while before Jongdae could respond, and I wasn't sure which was which but Jongdae and Jimin ended up hand in hand as they walked out the entrance gates.

"I'm confused whether I'm delighted or disgusted." Baekhyun.

"Are they official?" Tao.

"I hope she gives him more chocolates." Yixing.

"If she does, don't eat them, Yixing."

I swiveled around, face to face with.. "Sojin."

"Sojin-ah." Baekhyun swayed towards her and patted her head. "I missed you, where were you the whole day?"

"That's so sweet, Baekhyun, but I had to go somewhere. I'd be here the whole night though so don't worry."

Baekhyun leered. "Are you flirting with me?"

Sojin laughed, rolling her lazy eyes. I took notice of the dark circles beneath them that weren't there last night. Did she even get an inch of sleep?

She turned to me. "Luhan, I need to talk to you -" Baekhyun defiantly interrupted with a "Hey, no fair!" but Sojin went on, more softly, and asked, "D'you have a minute?"

Before I could answer, Tao nudged me with his elbow. "He's got hours for you, Sojin."

Baekhyun pouted. "First Jongdae, now Luhan. One more and I'm -"

"Yixing!" Lichen was waving at him from the gates. She neared us, looking giddy. "You never said you went to dance classes with Jongin and Sehun. Oh, hi, Sojin. Baekhyun, you were awesome!" Baekhyun's face gleamed with pleasure, his previous sulking forgotten. "Tao, are you even real, like seriously, I've always wanted some modern day Bruce Lee or something." She laughed at a blushing Tao. "Anyways, Yixing, you should have told me."

"Now that you mention it," I smirked at Yixing. "We didn't even know he dances."

To my surprise, it was Sojin who answered. "That's 'cause you're all so naive. Really, did you never wonder why all his Wednesday evenings are booked? Ah, but that's your Prefect patrol night, Luhan. Sorry." She faced Tao and Baekhyun. "But you guys should've noticed, especially that you're actually dorm mates."

Baekhyun was pouting again. "We just thought he's locked up in his room and writing or playing or something."

"I can't believe you," Sojin remarked.

Lichen giggled. "Anyways, Yixing, we can go to dance lessons together now."

My jaw - and Baekhyun's and Tao's and Yixing's as well - dropped. She would start dancing for Yixing?

"Should've brought my cam," Sojin mused. "Your faces are all so priceless. Lichen dances, too. But.." She furrowed her brows at her.

"Yes, Sojin. We sort of own the studio." She grinned shyly. "Sorry for not telling. But I'm booked Fridays and Saturdays that's why I never met Yixing there. Until Sehun told me this morning, that is. Too bad you were sick, Yixing. Are you okay now?"

"Uh, yes." Yixing rubbed the back of his head. "All thanks to Sojin. Er, thanks for asking too. I'm better now."

Lichen smiled fondly at Sojin, as though conveying a silent gratitude. I was starting to believe Lichen was just as nice as Sojin, minus all the awkwardness.

Baekhyun kicked a pebble. His embittered demeanor was back. "Well, are you here to abduct Yixing too?"

"Uh, I volunteered to fetch him. The instructor has called for all of tonight's dance performers and they're rallying at the studio so.."

"Really?" Yixing's eyes were ablaze now and I just knew how passionate he was over his dancing. "Well then, let's go. See you guys later."

Lichen waved at Sojin and winked at me as she exited the gates with Yixing.

"But I thought tonight's just a play?"

"It's a musical play, Luhan. Which makes me wonder. Baekhyun, aren't you singing tonight?" Sojin's eyes drooped lower.

"Nah." He kicked another pebble. "I'm for the culminating night. Were you looking forward to hearing me, then?"

"I'm always looking forward to your singing, Baekhyun. Do you know you sound like an angel?"

Baekhyun teared up at the compliment. Something within me stirred. Something ravenous.

"Sojin, why do you always say the perfect things?" Baekhyun cooed.

"I don't," she replied weakly. "I'm just saying the truth. Well, I guess I won't be hearing an angel tonight but that's okay. Tomorrow's just a day away."

Baekhyun was weeping now.

"But I really need to talk to you, Luhan."

Baekhyun grabbed Tao's arm and walked away, mumbling, "I can die happily now."

Sojin may be kind to everyone but she had only risked her life

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter