Canvas of Tangerine

Perception of Desires

“Hey, you were that stupid bastard that ran away yesterday!” The same girl accused him, her large brown eyes stared down at him.

Blinking at her hand, he looked up at her face. The same insane looking features as yesterday. Luhan returned to his food, chewing quietly to himself and ignored the female that stood across from him. With frustrated puffy cheeks, she huffs and takes the empty seat before him. Stealing another quick glance at her, he takes notice of the large amount of sweet bread held in her arms, excluding the one that fell into his food. Was she holding them for her friends? How troublesome would it be if they came to his table.

The two ate in silence; Luhan occasionally looking around whilst the other eyed at his directly. Yet he still refuses to engage in conversation. The blonde to take notice of the missing breads and open plastic bags. Just five minutes ago, she had nine snacks in her hand but now she was left with only five? Without realizing it, Luhan stared back at the girl with a slightly appalled expression. Just what this girl? Was she even human?

Tired of the lack of conversation, she speaks up, “Hey, what’s your name? My name is …” The brunette watched Luhan throw away his food and walk away, leaving her with never satisfied appetite “.. Joon.” She mumbled her name before sighing and devoured the rest of her food.

Luhan returned to his seat, resting his head on the wooden desk. Sleep overcomes him as he drifted away to slumber before a rather loud, “LUHAN!” woke him up. “I’m awake, I’m awake.” He groggily replied, opening his eyes to see an angry teacher holding the book with little patience.

“Read where we are at.” The old woman growled, preparing her hand for a detention.

Glancing over to a nearby student’s textbook, he flipped to the correct page number and looked down. He was sure that the only reason he was caught sleeping was due to the teacher finishing off the section and so he began at the next. Lucky as he was, Luhan picked the right spot, leaving the speechless teacher to return to her spot in the front. “I don’t want to catch you nodding off again, Mr.Lu.” She warned before she continued the lesson with the blonde half-way paying attention.

Around him, a couple of EXO members took notice of the way he acted. He had used to never sleep in class, and took great notes to which many had copied off of. Yixing, a rather tall and slightly lanky classmate of Luhan was deeply worried. As classes neared it’s end, he approached Luhan, who was sleeping as usual, and shook his shoulder.

“Luhan, wakey-wakey. School’s over.” A motherly smile appeared on Yixing’s face, greeting the blonde as he woke up, giving him a glare. Breathing a forfeiting sigh, he waved at Luhan before leaving to catch up with fellow EXO classmates, leaving the ex-member to look around at the empty room.

Colours of coral and ivory engulfed his surroundings as he sat there for a moment, soaking in the absence of noise.

What is the purpose of these colours?

Why are they here?

Why can’t she be here instead?

. . . I miss her.

He slumped lowered in his seat, a drooped head hovered over the desk for another half an hour before his legs finally pulled the male from his seat to exit the school building. He had taken the long way, a route that made him encircle the school once before he reached the front gates. Nearing the exit from the side of the building, Luhan looked nowhere else. Nothing captured his interest.

“LUUUUUUHHHHHAAAAANNNNNNN!!!” A voice screeched from the second story and quickly made it’s way down through the window.

From the corner of his eyes, he took notice of a growing shadow that nearly collided with him if he had not trotted forward several steps. A pair of feet slammed themselves onto the ground behind him, the faint smell of sweet bread hit him.

“How did you find out my name?” He questioned her.

“I heard it.” Joon replied as fast as he asked.

“When?”

“When you fell asleep after lunch, and your teacher yelled at you for not paying attention in mathematics.”

“Why weren’t you in class?”

“I was stalking you.”

“How did you not get in trouble?”

“I told the teacher I had explosive diarrhea and he just let me back in.” She answered with a straight face, obviously she was not lying nor over-exaggerating.

Speechless at her last reply, Luhan’s eyebrows furrowed. What is with her? “What do you want?” His stomach growled, loudly.

Joon stared at him momentarily before she placed her hand over her own tummy, her cheeks puffed up as she returned her glance to him. “Buy me dinner.”

“Excuse me? I don’t know you and I don’t have money to spare that easily.” He replied coldly.

“Okay. I’ll treat you to dinner and you owe me one.” Joon lurched forward and grabbed the collar of his shirt, dragging him to a nearby outdoor restaurant that served galbi.

Struggling the entire way, Luhan did his best to get away doing minimal physical damage to the girl but was rendered useless by the time she had reached the dinery. “This is my favorite place because they have really good meat!” Joon’s eyes practically sparkled as she was lit up with enthusiasm at the scent of cooked beef ribs. She continued pulling him over and sat the both of them at a table where she had ordered 5 orders of galbi alongside with bulgogi.

“I’m not hungry.” Luhan lied as his stomach called the truth immediately after the smell of grilling meat rammed into his nose.

Scowling at the other, she pointed at him. “I don’t care what’s wrong with you, what you’re always so bummed out or whatever but don’t mistreat your stomach! Hmph.” She retreated her hand and turned her head away.

“Whatever.” The blonde began picking himself up to leave, as the food came towards their table. His weight suddenly felt immensely heavy as he fell back down the cheap chair, eyes glued to the freshly made food.

She slammed her fork into the meat right after thanking her meal and bit into her food. The aroma of seasoning mixed with savoury sauces was released into the chuck of meat that was torn off into Joon’s mouth. Unable to see the animal across from him, Luhan’s mouth watered at the sight of the beef. It had been ages since he had eaten meat, especially this well made. One bite couldn’t hurt, right?

Hesitantly, he pushed the ends of his fork into his meat and took just a bite before his eyes closed, relishing in the taste of delicious food. The one bite resulted in many that finished off the meal with nothing left except bones. He finished it off with just a simple glass of water as Joon had finished off her own four orders, each plate messily stacked over each other as she took took a last gulp of water.

Taking out her wallet that was a product of Rilakkuma, she left a tip for the person who was clean after them and the amount needed to pay off their meal. Luhan felt rather guilty, seeing that he had lied about not having money and could have paid for their food.

“Before we leave, I need to ask you something.” Joon grabbed a toothpick, planting one in .

“I can’t promise you that I can do it.” Luhan warned her, shoving his hands in his pockets.

“You have to.”

“Says who?”

“Says the person who paid for your food that you haven’t had in ages!”

“What do you mean I haven’t had food in ages? I ate today at lunch, you were there you saw me.” He looked off in a different direction, why couldn’t she just pay and leave him alone already?

“You think I can’t tell? You’ve probably been living off food in the school for awhile or something! The look you had when you were eating was priceless.” She pointed at his face to emphasize her point.

“Tch. Moving on,” he wanted to make this end already, “what do you want from me?”

“Be my accomplice.”

“In what?”

“Friendship.”