Mended Heart

약속 (Promise)

Jessica’s POV

 

*RIIIIIIIIING*

 

It was the most awaited dismissal bell of every student, signalling the end of their day. But for me and several others, it just marks the beginning of another schedule for us. The basketball guys ran to the gym for their training, the nerds to the library, the dancers to the dance room and I, headed to the music room for practice.

 

Beautiful Restriction, I had practiced singing it so many times but I was kind of having trouble with the high notes. I told my adviser about it but she said that changing vocalist would be a hassle. Seriously, we haven’t even practiced yet! Do those Ghostring band members really want to embarrass themselves for coming unprepared? Then I wouldn’t go to school on the performance day! But then again today’s the scheduled practice and fortunately, they’re the ones who demanded for this. Take note, this would be the first and last practice before the actual performance tomorrow.

 

I wasn’t in the mood and the first thing I wanted to do was scold the band for procrastinating but I was greeted by an empty music room. They’re not even there yet!

 

“Oh, Jessica-shi, you came early.”

 

Henry Lau, the band’s keyboardist just came with the drummer Park Chanyeol. I met them this morning when Henry purposely dropped by our classroom to tell me about the rehearsal. Imagine how my classmates went crazy upon seeing these junior heartthrobs. But sadly, they had no effect on me. They’re cute, that’s undeniable, but I’m loyal to my seobang Kwon Yuri.

 

“Where are the others?” I asked them in a cold flat tone that made the two guys fidget on their places. They were fixing the band equipments and I saw how the Chanyeol guy got nervous, almost accidentally dropping the amplifier but caught it.

 

“Ah, th-they’re c-coming in a while, Jessica-shi. P-Please take a seat first,” Henry anxiously replied with a forced smile on his face.

 

Really, what time is it? They told me to come at exactly 4pm and now it’s half past four already! Are they kidding me? How can they treat their senior this way?!

 

“Look, if you guys aren’t serious about this, better tell the teachers now. I don’t want a messed up performance tomorrow and—

 

“Who’s the witch, huh, Zhang Yixing?! Do you really want a beating?!”

 

Just then a brown-haired good-looking guy with a dimple on his right cheek came running around the room and hid right behind Chanyeol who almost stumbled on the drum set. Just then a girl with a long black hair, flawless skin and pointed nose came, she looked totally enraged and ready to kill which reminded me of my sister when she’s angry.

 

“Park Chanyeol, step out of the way and let me kill that idiot!” The girl marched towards the two guys but Henry got in her way. “Yah, Snoopy! Don’t you dare stop me!”

 

Henry just silently shifted his head towards my direction and the others looked at me at the same time. I gave them my signature glare that made them silent for a while.

 

“Noona, are you the guest vocalist?” the dimpled guy asked me and I just raised an eyebrow at him before nodding. “Ah, I’m Zhang Yixing, the band’s lead guitarist. Nice to meet you,” he said then slightly bowed to me.

 

“And you are?” I eyed the cranky looking girl who was glaring at me.

 

“Ah noona, this is Kim Jiwon, our friend. But she has to go first,” Yixing told the girl who’s exchanging death glares with me right now. “Yah, go out. We’re rehearsing in no time. Go, go.” He then pushed the girl out of the room who gave me a threatening look for the last time before the door closed.

 

“Can we start now?”

 

“Can you give us five more minutes? You see, we’re still two members short. I’m sorry, they’re coming in a while though,” Chanyeol, who was now seated by the drums, replied apologetically.

 

These guys were really getting into my nerves! They set their own time and now they’re late?! I glared at them for the last time before marching towards the door but I was surprised when it flew open, revealing a blonde guy who was panting hard. It was Key, the campus diva.

 

“H-Hey, you’re here,” he told me in between his breaths and gave me sweet smile. But his face changed all of a sudden when we heard a loud bang out of nowhere.

 

“Ohmygod, get in!” Key pushed me back inside the music room and slammed the door. The other guys were surprised and had this question written all over their faces.

 

We heard another bang from the outside and I could hear heavy footsteps coming towards the room. I almost had a heart attack when the door was kicked open and revealed a furious looking Amber Liu with messed hair, fiery eyes were visible through the fringes of her hair, fists and jaws were clenched. She looked smoking angry about something.

 

“A-Amber, are you okay, dude?” Henry uttered as he walked towards the person who just came. He tried to put his hand on Amber’s shoulder but she slapped it away.

 

“Am, what happened?” Chanyeol asked her this time but kept his distance. Yixing slowly walked towards Amber while keeping his arms up for guard.

 

“Come closer or you’re all dead!” Everyone was stunned when Amber’s voice echoed inside the room, including me. I never knew that Amber Liu had this scary side of hers. Yes, I know her, I mean who doesn’t know her? Amber Liu, the handsome girl from the junior’s top section. She’s incredibly smart for her looks and attitude. Yuri mentioned her to me once saying that they hang out sometimes but I actually didn’t get the chance to meet her.

 

“What the hell happened, Key? Why is Amber like that?” I heard Yixing asked. And I didn’t know how I would react on Key’s answer to the question.

 

“They confirmed it,” Kim Ki Bum replied after a deep sigh.

 

“Confirmed what?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“That Yoona is dating Lee Seung Gi.”

 

Yoona? The SNSD member? Uh, Jessica Jung, now you’re being surrounded by crazy people.

 

Amber’s POV

 

Tell me it’s not real. Please tell me it’s not real!

 

I almost threw my Note away after reading the heartbreaking news. My eyes were on the verge of tears, I suddenly felt weak and lifeless. How could such a thing happen? How come I didn’t have any hint of it? My ultimate bias, the love of my life, Im Yoona is dating that Gumiho guy! They broke every fanboy’s heart, including mine.

 

“Amber, are you okay? We have to go practice—

 

“Shut the up!”

 

It was unusual for me to shout at my friends but this time I didn’t care. I was too pissed, I felt hopeless. The feeling of marrying off your one and only daughter, what I was feeling at that moment was somehow close to that. I couldn’t say that I felt like my girlfriend cheated on me or something but hell, it just hurts as much!

 

“Yoona, you have every right to be happy. But you should have at least given me a hint that you two were seeing each other,” I told the girl who was smiling sweetly back at me but sadly she was trapped on the screen of my phone. That smile, it was the smile that made me move on from my one-sided love with Suzy, the smile that kept me sane for the past few months.

 

“Aish, when did you start being delusional? Dude, I repeat, we should go. They can’t start without us,” Key tried once again but I gave him a death look instead. At times like this, I wanted to be alone but the diva just kept interrupting my moment.

 

“I don’t care.” It’s not that I didn’t really care but I was too weak to care about anything else.

 

“Then I’ll tell Suzy that you’re neglecting your duty again,” Key threatened me and stuck his tongue out before running away. And with that, I automatically pulled myself up and marched towards the music room. I hate the fact that Key knew exactly what to use against me. Once he pulled the Suzy card out, then it’s game over. I didn’t want my bones to suffer again now that my nose hasn’t recovered yet.

 

The thought of Yoona and Seung Gi was like a film in my mind, playing on repeat, that my mood just got worse. I kicked anything that came in the way, including several trash bins until I reached the music room. I should be grieving somewhere alone but there I was, still going to fulfil my duty as the band’s vocalist. The performance would be tomorrow and it was the first time that we would be practicing with the guest vocalist. Whoever he is, or she is, I didn’t care anymore.

 

“A-Amber, are you okay, dude?”

 

“Am, what happened?”

 

My friends and band mates were worried about me since I had this very dark aura when I arrived at the music room but I actually didn’t want to talk about it.

 

“Come closer or you’re all dead!” And they all stood frozen on where they were.

 

Just then, I noticed a new face in the music room. A beautiful girl with pretty long blonde hair, Barbie doll face including kissable pink lips, cold brown eyes that were darting me scary glares. Like magic, the sight of her brightened my mood a little for unknown reason. I heard Yixing and Key whispering at each other and I knew that they’re talking about me. But how can they talk when this gorgeous lady was just standing beside them and could probably hear what they’re saying?

 

Aish, I hope they’re saying good things about me. But I doubt.

 

“Yah, yah, yah, let’s start,” I told my band mates and everyone seemed amused by my sudden change of mood. They quickly grabbed their instruments and went on their position, leaving the blonde girl alone with me at the middle of the room. I didn’t know why but I got tongue tied as soon as our eyes met once again.

 

“Amber, your manners, you should greet her properly,” Key told me while he was strapping on the bass guitar strap on him before finally strumming it a little. But there I was, just standing in front of the girl, finding the right words to say.

 

“You probably know who I am,” the girl told me before she offered her hand. Oh dear god, I should have known a beautiful girl like her but sadly, I didn’t know who she is! Except for the clear fact that she’s the senior guest vocalist for our collaboration performance, I knew nothing about her.

 

“Ah, yeah, the guest vocalist noona,” I replied while shaking hands with her and I felt like I held a live wire instead.

 

Why is this girl giving me electric shock? Oh no no no.

 

The girl just raised an eyebrow at me and pulled out her hand. “It’s Jessica Jung, just so you know.”

 

“You guys are really wasting my time, are we going to start or not?!” My band mates automatically straighten themselves when Jessica yelled while I just stood there in full amazement. Her bossiness, it reminded me of Suzy. That attitude was feared by many, but I found it attractive though. Plus Jessica was undeniably pretty; I couldn’t take my eyes off her.

 

“Amber, I know you’re still heartbroken over Yoona but please set it aside and let’s start,” Key mumbled softly while he voluntarily hung the electric guitar on me. That’s when it snapped me out from admiring every single detail of Jessica-shi who was standing in front of the microphone stand beside me, looking annoyed but cute.

 

“Okay, guys. Let’s hit it in three, two, one!”

 

Oneur haru haengbokha gil

Eonjena achim e neun tteu myeon gido reur hage dwae

Dara nalkka du ryeo un haeng bogape

 

I sang the first three lines as planned without taking my eyes off the beautiful girl just right beside me. She was just swaying her head according to the rhythm; I smiled inside seeing her adorable side. And when it was her turn to sing, the smile I’ve been containing earlier just curled automatically.

 

Neor man nan geong haeng un iya

Hyu ire hae yae haril duri nae gedo saeng gyeosseo

Yaksok hago man na go he eo jigo

 

Just hearing her voice made me feel like I was in heaven and an angel was singing for me. This girl, how come I didn’t meet her earlier? We’re attending the same school for three years already but why only now? Was I too blinded by my love for Suzy that this girl didn’t even catch my attention over the years? Why only now, now that she’s graduating soon?

 

Right at the chorus when we would sing the lines together, our eyes met once again but this time I couldn’t feel any coldness from her eyes.

 

Cheo eumi yae naega deu die o naega

Sarang e nan ppa jyeo beoryeosseo

 

We were looking at each other as we got both carried away by the song. I felt like the song was made for us and we’re interpreting it in a natural way.

 

Honja in ge joh a

Nareur sarang haet deon naege

Tteo dareun naega eon goya

 

“Three words for you guys. YOU. NAILED. IT.”

 

Henry complimented us as soon as the first dry run ended. The other guys were smiling widely in agreement too while Key, who knew me better than anyone else just shook his head, smiling meaningfully.

 

“How was it?” Jessica asked innocently, looking at me with hopeful eyes.

 

Damn, why are you looking at me like that?

 

Actually, I didn’t know what to say. But seeing how everyone was anticipating for my answer. My tongue slipped on its own.

 

“It was...perfect.”

 

My answer made her smile lightly and it was the first she gave me a warm treatment.

 

“Let’s play the whole song this time. You two, keep the same notes and nail it for the second time, okay?” Henry said. Jessica and I both nodded, smiling at each other.

 

But then Key whispered something that made me smile wider.

 

“I guess someone has mended the heart that Yoona broke, huh?”

 

I don’t know, Key. But maybe she just did. *wink*

 

-----------------------------------------

Author's Note: So how's the Jessber chap? Amber has three girls in this fic, haha!