Cruel First Love

약속 (Promise)

Amber’s POV

 

“Asymptotes are lines where the graph of a function gets closer and closer to but they neither meet nor touch. This concept might describe your sad love story with the person you like. You only get closer and closer but you two would never be together.”

 

“There goes Teacher Lee again. Didn’t she make a love story out of tangent lines too? Like how people meet at one point but never meet again?” Key uttered while wearing an overly bored expression on his face.

 

“When will she ever tell us a happy ending story?” Lay mumbled while doodling something at the back page of his geometry book.

 

I just shook my head at my friends’ comments and continued solving our chemistry problem set due today which I failed to do over the weekend. Once again, I procrastinated and did the homework on the last minute all thanks to this online game I recently got addicted to.

 

“Amber.” Key caught my attention when he called my name and passed me a folded piece of paper under our desks. I gave him a questioning look and he immediately mouthed ‘Jiwon’ while pointing the direction of our other friend who was sitting on the other side of the room, glaring at us.

 

“What the hell?” I mumbled silently as I opened Jiwon’s note and found out that it wasn’t actually from her but from the girl sitting right next to her who looked innocently listening to the teacher.

 

Kill you later. -Suzy

PS: Pay attention to class!

 

I just shrugged upon reading the note and went back solving my unfinished homework. But the thought of why Suzy would kill me never left my mind, I felt nervous just by thinking about it. The last person I wanted to anger was the one and only Bae Suzy.

 

“What did you do again this time, Am? She won’t kill you for nothing,” Lay whispered with a concerned look. We both knew that Suzy would literally kill me if she said so.

 

“I didn’t do anything,” I simply replied and finished the remaining items of the problem set.

 

As soon as the bell rang, Lay and Key attempted to drag me to the gym for our daily varsity training but upon seeing Suzy’s glare at them, they scooted away immediately.

 

“We’ll see you guys at the gym later, okay? Suzy, don’t be too harsh on Amber,” Jiwon told us before pushing Lay and Key out of the classroom with her. Our other classmates seemed to notice that we needed privacy that they all ran out of the room, leaving me alone with Suzy.

 

“There’s a training that I had to catch up so—

 

*BLAG*

 

I didn’t see it coming. Suzy roundhouse kicked me just now that I fell on the floor, face first. It wasn’t that painful since she hit me on the sides but it was enough to knock me off and break my nose.

 

“Yah, why did you hit me?”

 

It was rather a calm way of asking for a person whose nose was bleeding after being hit. It had always been like that, I could never stand up against Suzy. She’s a person whom I never wanted to lose that I’d rather lower my pride just to avoid making things worse.

 

“That is for liking me.”

 

Whether someone told her about it or she found it out herself, that I had no idea. But I couldn’t deny the truth that once in my life, I fell in love with her. I mean, who wouldn’t? She’s cranky, tactless and a pain in the most of the time but she’s the great Bae Suzy and anyone could give at least ten reasons why they love her. She’s a person of strong personality, undeniably clever whether book-wise or street-wise, had a great sense of leadership, gifted with incredible writing skills, born to be a national taekwondo champion. Just by Suzy’s credentials, anyone would be impressed and her irresistibly charming looks was just another factor.

 

But for me, she’s just the same cute toothless child I met when we four years old, the first person who made me feel those butterflies in my stomach, the girl who made me question my uality at the early age of five. She’s my first friend, my first crush, my first love. And probably the most influential person in my life right now.

 

That’s the reason why I feared her; she’s not just any other friend of mine. We’ve known each other for so long that she became a big part of me already. Someone whom I feared of losing, someone of great importance, someone I secretly loved since childhood.

 

Confessing never came into my mind; it would just ruin everything. But I told myself that if ever she found it out herself one day, I would never deny nor lie about my feelings anymore. She had every right to know. I just hope that after she found it out, we could still be good friends.

 

The moment I was not anticipating just came. Suzy was standing right in front of me, arms crossed, looking at me with puzzling eyes that I never dared to meet with mine. I still couldn’t help but admire her beauty in our school uniform though I see her everyday in that outfit. She was still radiantly beautiful even with that cold expression on her face.

 

“How did you find out?” Yeah, it was a stupid question but my curiosity just triggered me.

 

“I just knew it all along,” she replied with a sly smile and sat on a desk in front of me. “You sent those creepy love letters last year, didn’t you?”

 

“Yeah, I did. I’m sorry,” I replied, almost in whisper. The way Suzy was looking made me wanted to dig a hole on my spot and bury myself in it. It was too embarrassing.

 

Still, what Suzy said was true. I sent her love letters but my sister said that those letters were the sweetest ones she had ever read so far. I wrote those letters when I felt like exploding out of jealousy since I found out that she’s in love with Yixing on our sophomore year. Who would have thought that four out of five Pillars would be hopelessly in love with each other? And my jealousy led me in sneaking love letters in her locker after training, posting it on the classroom door early in the morning or just simply slipping the letter in her bag when she’s not around.

 

Those letters were written with full love and admiration, I poured out all the feelings I had for her in every letter I wrote. But in the end, Suzy just seemed to be annoyed by the letters that I stopped writing them. Creepy it might be but it was the only way to somehow voice out my heart.

 

“I knew it. The writing style was so Amber Liu.” Suzy said it in an unexpected way, not in a mocking tone but in a way full of awe like she was proud being the receiver of those letters.

 

“Suzy, if it’s about what I felt for you before, believe me I’m over it. You don’t have to worry about it now. I swear, I won’t go beyond our friendship anymore,” I replied, holding her gaze this time.

 

With my statement, Suzy fell silent for a while. She pulled off a cold blank expression that left me confused, wondering if what I said was wrong. I prevented myself from trembling when she finally stood up from the chair and slowly walked towards me. She kept walking closer and closer until we’re just a foot apart. The next thing I knew, our faces were just an inch apart as she was pulling the collars of my coat to make me lean closer to her.

 

“That’s the point, Amber. I’m worried because you got over me already,” she whispered on my ear. “And I couldn’t accept the way you got rid of your feelings for me.”

 

“What are you talking about? Time healed all the wounds inflicted by my one-sided love for you. I didn’t do anything,” I defended. Yes, I had moved on from her but the influence of Suzy was still burning deep within me. I was still afraid of her at the moment.

 

“I hate the fact that you sent that Jung home yesterday. If that’s your way of getting over me, please stop it. There are rumours that you’re really sending her home and worse, that you two are an item,” she said, gripping my collars tighter.

 

Seriously, Suzy was being ridiculous. Yes, I sent this girl home once but it was all just a friendly gesture and most of all, by accident. We happened to be walking the same route when the rain poured heavily and the girl shared her umbrella with me.

 

“Look, we’re not even friends so please stop it. I don’t want to argue with this anymore, Suz.”

 

Hearing my explanation, Suzy let go of me and fixed my collar. She pulled out her hanky and began wiping the remaining blood from my nose. It was the first time Suzy did something like that. She’s the type of person who wouldn’t say sorry towards someone but I knew her so well that her little gesture was somehow her way of saying sorry.

 

“Send me home from now on, I don’t want you to get involved in such rumours again especially with a girl like Krystal Jung,” Suzy told me while fixing my messed hair.

 

“So her name’s Krystal Jung? You researched everything about her already when I don’t even know her name? That was fast, Bae Suzy,” I replied, still frozen by the distance of our faces.

 

“Shut up, Liu. Don’t you ever do that again, okay?”

 

“Why? Are you jealous?”

 

It was a too daring statement for me but Suzy’s next reply totally shocked me. “I am. You are already mine since we were kids. I will always have your attention no matter what.”

 

“Amber! Coach Kim’s looking for—oops! I’m sorry, I didn’t mean—uh, sorry. Please don’t punish me, Bae Suzy-shi. I’m sorry.” Both Suzy and I stepped back away from each other when my teammate Xiumin entered the door. He bowed several times in front of us especially at the pissed looking Suzy.

 

“Tell Coach that I’ll be there in—

 

“Tell your Coach that Amber broke her nose and has to go to the hospital,” Suzy said instead and that surprised me. Xiumin on the other hand just nodded and scooted out of the room quickly after Suzy scared the hell out of him.

 

“So is it me who really broke my nose? Or is it someone who’s jealous of her childhood friend who sent a beautiful girl home?” I teased and I immediately received a strong punch on the arm. “That hurts, Suz. What was that for?”

 

“For saying that the girl was beautiful,” she replied while fixing her things and prepared to go home.

 

“Aw, are you really that jealous? Do you love me that much?” I kidded while walking next to her. Just like what she said, I would send her home from now on. It’s something that I had always wanted to do but due to our training schedule conflicts, she goes home with Jiwon instead.

 

“Amber, don’t assume too much. You know you’re not my type,” she replied instead and surprisingly, it didn’t hurt anymore or let’s just say that the pain was too little to recognize. “But just like what I said, I am jealous and you have to send me home every day.”

 

“Whatever, boss.”

 

And I just walked my jealous cruel first love home.

 

-------------------------------

 

Author's Note: So how's the first chap? What can you say about Amber's first love? Suzy is scary, isn't she? :))