Friend or foe

Key of trust

The annoying sound of the pororo alarm clock amplified the room, sending almost decibel-breaking sound waves. If the alarm was not enough, the bedroom door was being pounded hard, the mahogany almost seem to give way from every beating.

 

“Do Kyungsoo, you have five minutes before I breakdown this door. Wake up you pig or we are going to be late for school again!” the deep and husky-like voice roared from the other end of the door. The body finally stirred from his slumber from the intimidating threat knowing the voice always mean business plus he did want to replace his door for the third time in a month. Grabbing hold of his bedroom post, he gave an audible low groan to announce his awakening. He stood up to open his window, letting in a barrage of sunlight which illuminated the entire room. Covering his eyes from the sudden luminosity like a vampire, the impending thought of Monday gave Kyungsoo despicable thoughts.

 

 After a brief wash up in the connecting bathroom, he heads back into his room to get ready for the day. Putting on his mundane mustard-coloured school uniform he could not help but dejected that the weekends were over so quickly and the week was starting again. Finally grabbing his haversack and headed to open his door, comforted that it was still intact and headed downstairs.

 

“Good morning sleeping beauty, faster have breakfast. You always keep Chanyeollie waiting.” Mrs Do said while smiling towards the dark-haired with pointy ears similar to those like Star War’s Yoda, earning a sedulous smile back. Giving a nod as an acknowledgement, Kyungsoo settled down into a seat and started to devour his meal. After fulfilling their appetite, both boys bade farewell to the petite lady and started walking down the familiar route to school.

 

 The dreading feeling of spending the next half a day supposedly gaining knowledge was a chore to Kyungsoo. He had known what is needed to be known, always excelling in quizzes and tests without the need to even study much. Of course it brought much jealousy towards his classmates, intimidating them with his knowledge prowess and sometimes even earning the attention of bullies. Kyungsoo’s petite and narrow shoulders made him an easy bullying target since middle school. All these did not seem to bother the tall docile giant beside him, Park Chanyeol.

 

Both boys have stuck together ever since Kyungsoo had ran into a group of school bullies back during their freshmen year. Chanyeol acting as the personal bodyguard for the petite, narrowed-shoulder boy made Kyungsoo feel comfortable and secured. Every morning would be the usual routine of Chanyeol waiting for Kyungsoo before both boys headed to school together. The habitual routine had once earn a distasteful disagreement from Chanyeol’s boyfriend, class president Kim Junmyeon. Junmyeon was getting more possessive of his boyfriend who always seemed to be spending more time with his best friend instead of him but over time Junmyeon began to falter and accepted that Kyungsoo indeed needed some form of protection.

 

 

Finally reaching the school gates after the short walk, Junmyeon sneered at Kyungsoo before grasping his boyfriend by the arm and dragging the giant away from Kyungsoo. Chanyeol turned back and mouthed to see the latter in class. Walking into the hallway towards his locker he had to squirm his way pass taller and bulkier size students who packed the hallway, each gathered in small groups to catch up on their short-live weekend away from school.

 

Finally reaching his locker, he could not help but observe the tanned and ripped boy on his right who was surrounded by a group of similar physique, oblivious to their surroundings and just plainly socializing. The tanned boy was a year younger than Kyungsoo was and although Kyungsoo was known as the top elitist student, his popularity was no match for Kim Jongin. With such a charming and mighty body like that, almost every girl and boy from the student population wanted a piece of him.

 

Unfortunately, Kim Jongin or Kai as he is widely known as, has a black hole. Of course no one is perfect and there is always a flaw in such a charming person. Kai likes Kyungsoo’s best friend, Park Chanyeol. Kyungsoo had gave Chanyeol many tipoffs on the fact the high school’s popular boy has a crush on him but Chanyeol does not seem to even care.

 

The school bell finally rang and a stout middle-aged teacher came out of the teachers’ office, yelling for all students to get going to class. After grabbing the needed books for the day, Kyungsoo took a final turn towards his right, catching a glimpse of Kai who bowed at the teacher before heading into the opposite direction.

 

Taking his seat in front of Chanyeol, first period soon began. The charming young teacher was introducing new learning materials for the class to understand the law of physics to keep the class entertained. Working in groups of three, Kyungsoo swears it was the most interesting physics lesson he had in a while. Of course it was not due to the laws taught but the drama unfolding in front of him. Junmyeon wanting to go on a date with Chanyeol who kept evading his advances, sighting the fact that he had dance class after school.

 

“It would not be a date if he tags along! He can protect himself, can’t you Kyungsoo?” Junmyeon bellowed. Kyungsoo snickered before nodding his head. Physics was finally over & history was next. Chanyeol thanked the heavens that he finally could have a breather since Junmyeon does not take history. After reassuring to meet at the cafeteria for lunch, Chanyeol hunched forward, back hugging Kyungsoo after Junmyeon was out of sight.

 

“You dug yourself your own grave idiot,” Kyungsoo reminded the boy, earning a groan. Halfway through the lesson, Kyungsoo turned back only to be greeted by a snoring Chanyeol who had drooled onto his shirt. Disgusted and mentally drained himself, he decided he earned himself a nap till end of lesson. Why bother learning about Hitler?

 

 The lunch bell soon sounded and the student population seemed to spill out onto the hallway heading towards the cafeteria. Meeting Junmyeon at the entrance of the cafeteria, the trio went to their usual table down the room which was situated next to where Kai & his entourage sat since each had packed lunch. Kyungsoo could not help but feel breathless every time he walked pass the table, able to take a glimpse on the tanned boy but today was different, just as he walked pass the table he suddenly felt his legs entangled and fell forward.

 

“Come on Kris that was low and immature” Chanyeol hollered, managing to grab onto Kyungsoo before the boy fell face flat onto the concrete floor.

 

“It’s not my fault he was not looking where he was going” retorted Kris, giving his friends hi-fives. Before Chayeol could inflict a punch, Kai intervened.

 

“I’m sorry Chanyeol and Kyungsoo are you okay? Sorry…maybe both of us can grab some bubble tea after dance practice today?” Jongin nervously asked.

 

“He has a boyfriend here hello, am I invisible or something?” Junmyeon snapped before grabbing Chanyeol away towards their table and Kyungsoo followed suit. Junmyeon continued to show his displeasure with Jongin who always seem to take chances like this to ask his boyfriend out. Kyungsoo ate his sandwich silently, mindful that if only he knew how to protect himself, this would not have happened.

 

School finally ended for the day much to Kyungsoo’s rejoice. Apart from the slip up during lunch break, the day remained mundane & uninteresting. Lessons were unappealing and he had completed all his homework without even listening to the teachers. All he wanted now was to get home to continue his sleep. Since Chanyeol had dance practice, Kyungsoo had to walk home with his best friend’s boyfriend. Kyungsoo wished he at least could do a body wave without looking like a flopping fish, only then he would be able to join dance class. Not only was Kyungsoo able to spend more time with Chanyeol, he’d also get to see Jongin who was in the same practice.

 

“I guess I’d see you tomorrow at the gates as usual. If Chanyeol calls you to come over for bubble tea, just say you’re busy or something. Don’t even think of coming!” Junmyeon warned before finally walking away and waving at Kyungsoo.

 

=================================================

Chanyeol sometimes wondered why Jongin was even in the same dance team as he is. The younger boy clearly had much more experience & expertise having danced since young. Remembering Kyungsoo once joking at the fact that Jongin had joined because he likes Chanyeol, the tall boy could not help but scoffed. Chanyeol did not want to be associated with anyone of the jocks who bullies his best friend. Jongin did not seem to understand what he found so appealing about Park Chanyeol. It has to be the fact the taller boy had this happy virus aura and his protectiveness over Kyungsoo makes him more lovable. Why was Chanyeol even dating Kim Junmyeon in the first place then? Chanyeol should just break up with that ignorant shortie.

 

Throughout dance practice, Jongin had tried with all means to get Chanyeol’s attention. From doing stretching exercise to dancing beside him but all the older boy did was be oblivious.  Jongin could not help but question himself why Chanyeol seem to dislike him so much. He had been trying to get his attention even before Chanyeol had dated Junmyeon. Always getting rejected by his advances. He had always tried to look out for Kyungsoo, trying to earn sympathy points but all he gets is the back burner of Chanyeol treating him like an invisible person. Jongin felt that he should do something to get his crush attention. He had to create a situation.

 

“Aah!” Jongin shrieked and held onto his ankle in pain. Everyone stopped dancing and rushed towards the tanned boy, trying to check if he was okay. Jongin although in pain tried to glance around if Chanyeol had taken any notice but he saw the boy still busy dancing, oblivious to the situation. Jongin gave up. He was never getting his crush’s attention.

 

Dance practice soon ended and Jongin had his ankle be treated. Chanyeol still seem like it did not affect him and that made Jongin feel more heartbroken. Chanyeol did not even bother asking about Jongin’s wellbeing as a dance mate. Chanyeol had rushed out after dance, thankful that Kim Jongin had decided to not bother him with the question of getting bubble tea after their practice. Walking out, he dialed onto his phone for his best friend.

 

“Hey my dance practice has ended, did you get home safetly with Junmyeon just now? How about joining me and him for bubble tea?” Chanyeol eagerly asked.

 

“Oh, I’m busy Yeol. I think I’d pass. Have fun with Junmyeon” Kyungsoo responded, reminded of Junmyeon’s threat. Kyungsoo resumed his tedious computer game of Counter Strike. He wished he had said yes but concluded he will only be disturbing his best friend;s couple time.

 

“Kai do you think you’re fine with going home by yourself?”

 

“Yeah, it’s only a slight sprain. Thanks again for helping me soothe the pain. See you next week.” Jongin replied his coach before bidding farewell. He made his way, albeit slower than usual, to the bubble tea shop he had earlier asked his crush out. Maybe a sweet drink could brighten up his mood. As he reached the shop, he stopped in his tracks and just focused his vision on the couple inside, Chanyeol & Junmyeon. Baffled and feeling more pessimistic about the situation, Jongin limped his way home while fighting back his tears.

 

=========================================

 

 

School continued as usual for Kyungsoo with Chanyeol and Junmyeon. Chanyeol could not have been happier than Jongin and his entourage have decided to settle at a table at the other end of the cafeteria, not being able to bother Kyungsoo anymore. Jongin had only recently resumed dance practice after apparently spraining his ankle and was not as clingy during practice as before. Maybe the fact that Chanyeol had kept his distance from the tanned boy had created the much need affect that Chanyeol indeed did not like him.

 

On the other hand, Kyungsoo was feeling melancholic having seen lesser of Jongin around ever since the group of boys had decided to sit at the other end of the cafeteria and Jongin moving lockers. Although Kyungsoo could not point out the exact date or day when Jongin had seem to stop bothering Chanyeol was roughly three weeks ago, the day Kris had tripped him.

 

“Kyungsoo, you’d be fine going home alone today right? I have a last minute student committee meeting today. Please don’t tell Yeol I let you go home yourself, he’d kill me” Junmyeon pleaded with Kyungsoo. No matter how controlling Junmyeon could be, an angry Chanyeol is not fun to be around with.

 

“Yeah, of course I’d be fine. It’s okay Junmyeon.” Kyungsoo responded. Well, nothing could be done anyways since Chanyeol was already gone for dance practice and the two boys were already at the school gates. Plus ever since Jongin started to distance himself from them, the bullying had stopped. Going home alone once in a while would be a good change because he always had to rely on either Chanyeol or Junmyeon. The sunlight warmed his skin and Kyungsoo felt free but he sensed something amiss, like someone was following him.

 

Jongin finally had his chance now. Chanyeol was at dance practice while Junmyeon had a student meeting, leaving Kyungsoo alone. He followed the smaller-framed boy down winding roads. He did not recall Kyungsoo ever taking this long to go home with Chanyeol. It was like the older boy knew he was being…followed.

 

Kyungsoo ascertained he was being followed by someone, no matter where he turned into, the person still followed like a magnet. He had managed to glance at the uniform. It was the same mustard-coloured one Kyungsoo was wearing. He suddenly regretted the choice of going home alone. The bullies were probably waiting for a chance like this. Kyungsoo mentally cursed himself, not noticing he had entered an alley. All on his mind was wanting to lose the person following him. It was then he stood there rooted. He had reached a dead end of an alley, the only way out was pass the person. Kyungsoo gulped as he heard the footsteps closing in. He took out his phone, struggling to dial his lifeline, Park Chanyeol.

 

“Hey stop, I’m not here to hurt you,” the person said. The voice was a deep rich-toned and strikingly familiar, Kim Jongin. Kyungsoo stopped what he was doing and looked up to stare at his stalker, scared but relieved. He did not respond to Chanyeol who was shouting onto the phone. Kyungsoo quickly hung up the call without even answering Chanyeol’s cries.

 

“W-what do you want with me?” Kyungsoo asked cautiously. Why would Jongin follow him down till this alley?

 

“I know this might be shocking to you but, I was not trying to get Chanyeol’s attention all these while. It was your attention that I wanted. Not his” Jongin retorted back. Kyungsoo was appalled by what Jongin had just aforementioned. He stared back at Jongin with his doe-like eyes. Kim Jongin just confessed to me?

 

“I do not expect a response, at least not now. I’d give you a week Do Kyungsoo.” Jongin stated. With that said, he turned back and walked away, leaving Kyungsoo there, still trying to digest the information.

 

 

==================================================================================

 

 

“Hey what’s wrong just now? You called me and did not even talk, are you alright? Junmyeon confessed he let you went home alone. Are you okay Kyungsoo? Kyungsoo?” Chanyeol interrogated. All the questions were asked so fast it almost seemed like Chanyeol actually rapped it to Kyungsoo.

 

“Yes I’m fine Chanyeol. I got home in one piece. Don’t be too mad on Junmyeon, I was the one who agreed to let me go home by myself. Just that, Kim Jongin-“

 

“What about that idiot? He did not turn up for dance practice today, I knew something was up! What did he do to you?” Chanyeol roared.

 

“He sort of asked me to…be his boyfriend.” Kyungsoo admitted. He expected Chanyeol to be silent but he did not expected his best friend to be laughing with such scrutiny. Chanyeol, belatedly noticing his mistake, apologized but the situation seemed too hilarious to him. He tried to muffle his snickers as he listened to Kyungsoo’s explanation. What a twist of events.

 

“How are so sure he is not joking? Like come on, so he does not like me all these times but actually likes you? He spent almost three weeks not making any contact with us and he suddenly stalks you and confessed?” Chanyeol finally replied after listening to Kyungsoo.

 

“I don’t know Chanyeol, I’m just surprised as you…like who would have known right?”

 

“Wait, are you actually happy that Jongin confessed to you? What if he is just saying that because he wants to indirectly be close to m-. WAIT. Perfect. Accept him Kyungsoo, make him your boyfriend.” Chanyeol chimed.

 

“Huh? Park Chanyeol are you okay?” Kyungsoo inquired. Kyungsoo raised his eyebrow to Chanyeol’s response. Yes Kyungsoo’s dream finally came true that his crush actually confessed but what was his best friend thinking to readily and maybe even forcibly wanting Kyungsoo to accept Jongin.

 

“It’s a win-win situation my dear friend. I finally will have Kim Jongin off my back. Finally. Also, you will finally be able to date him” Chanyeol enthusiastically commented. Kyungsoo paused for a while. It was true that it was a win-win situation but could he trust his best friend’s intuition?